Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd rather take neither and become an actually good defensive team but there's no chance of that happening as long as Sullivan remains.

Whatever mistakes Dubas/Hextall have made with the roster Sullivan is the one constant that's remained across different gms

Penguins will never be a good defensive team. Their defense has always been the threat of their offense. Even in 08-09, 15-16 and 16-17 we were caved in.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm not sure where this would even go on here but it looks like DK shitcanned another reporter he hired. I don't know much about Hannah Kirkell but I have seen her on twitter a bit and it looks like she's already out at DK's site.

DK seems like a pretty shit boss given all the constant turnover of employees there.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Jarry doesn't trust his defense and the team's structure. That's why when there's a 2 on 1 he'll cheat and make a big save once the puck is passed, but it looks like a bad goal if there's no pass and a short side shot.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The team aged out they're too slow and the product became stale! It's really that simple!

Look at CHI and LA after their runs there was no coming back. At least we were competitive a few years after our run. Those teams largely fell off a cliff, now we are, but we're doing so four or five years after our cups. CHI was done in 2016. Haven't heard from them since. We should've abandoned ship a couple years ago. Now, it's gonna get rough. Coach deserves, it players deserve it. Meanwhile Kyle is smiling, why? Because he now will form the team in HIS image. There's no help coming here, not for years anyhow. Sullivan can coach this team for a bit, it really won't matter.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Penguins will never be a good defensive team. Their defense has always been the threat of their offense. Even in 08-09, 15-16 and 16-17 we were caved in.
You're sorta right but not completely.

08-09: 9th best expected goals/against 5v5.
15-16: 4th best expected goals/against 5v5.
16-17: 25th best expected goals/against 5v5.

Anyways I don't think it's out of the question that this team with a new coach could be at least middle of the pack defensively. There's no reason to be this bad. Well there is a reason, and that reason is Mike Sullivan.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Is there a worse left side D in the NHL than what the Pens ice?

Edit: Ok, there's a few. Columbus, Philadelphia, San Jose, St. Louis, all look pretty lean too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not sure where this would even go on here but it looks like DK shitcanned another reporter he hired. I don't know much about Hannah Kirkell but I have seen her on twitter a bit and it looks like she's already out at DK's site.

DK seems like a pretty shit boss given all the constant turnover of employees there.
He has a long history of doing this while acting like his site is growing and doing well when it isn't.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Is there a worse left side D in the NHL than what the Pens ice?

Edit: Ok, there's a few. Columbus, Philadelphia, San Jose, St. Louis, all look pretty lean too.
Philly is coached by Sullivan's mentor so that shouldn't be a surprise they suck offensively but even they're better defensively, they just can't generate for shit with scoring even with a stud like Michkov.
Columbus is one of the youngest teams in the NHL - I'll give them a pass.
Sharks are going to have a lot of learning curve issues with how young their core is and a rookie coach.
Blues are actually decent defensively (middle of the pack)

All of them also give up less shots than the Penguins as well as less high danger scoring opportunities. I mean to an extent some of the players are not good on the Penguins but I think with a better system and coach, you can still do well enough but only if you're willing to adjust and adapt and well we know how that's gone with this coaching staff. Quinn isn't the problem since he had the same issues Sullivan did with the way his team played in NY and SJS.

Oh and in the Sharks case, they don't even have Vlasic right now, so that D is worse on paper than the Penguins and yet it doesn't even play as poorly as they do and the Blues lost Krug (LTIR) and Leddy is also on the IR now. Penguins just play D like they're all mentally on LTIR thanks to Sully-Quinn.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I mean hell, even the Flyers missing a defenseman d-man like Seeler, they're still better. Says alot about what Sullivan's doing with this team. Because if anyone says those teams have a better D, we know that's bullshit.

Then there's the average age, all of those teams mentioned are a lot younger than the Penguins are and will have youth hiccups on their rosters, the Penguins though? All veterans except for Joel and they still play worse.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad