Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
There was never a point in which I wanted Letang to stay and Malkin to walk. I was pretty clear about the exact opposite of that for so many f***ing reasons we see now.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I remember when everyone here was like "nooooo not JT Miller!" :laugh:

And we go and get Granlund instead.
JT Miller is better off for it, at least. He would have been a throw in in the Karlsson trade with retention probably.

The irony is that a properly used Granlund wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world for us right now.

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We could've just not signed Letang.

I never will get why so many Pens fans were on board for that one and wanted Malkin to walk.
I get why you'd call Mark Madden "so many Penguins fans" due to his overall size but he's still just one man.

If anything, I think people were concerned about price tag. With BOTH Letang and Malkin, the general sentiment was "we want them back but not at any cost"
JT Miller is better off for it, at least. He would have been a throw in in the Karlsson trade with retention probably.

The irony is that a properly used Granlund wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world for us right now.
There are a couple guys I'd like to have right now: Jake, Zucker, Hagelin, Kessel...all in their prime of course, not current state.

I think the meme of Granlund is what we need - a capable top 6 wing that can play a grittier game. Granlund himself was just a complete miss for one reason or another.

What we need is to hit on something like Fiala for Granlund or a Perron for Hagelin or a Horny for Neal. I'd love if Rust was the sacrifice but would accept damn near anyone at this point.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The weirdest thing is that Sullivan's been utterly revered by multiple ownerships, FOs, and GMs. :laugh: It makes no sense. I get giving the guy who won back to back Cups some leash, but we're staring down the reality that this team's gonna miss three times in a row. :laugh: At what point are these schmucks forced to face the reality that the shine's worn off the turd?

-edit- also lol

Do not underestimate the ability in the business world to have endless lines of utter bullshit ready to spew. I mean, Mike Tomlin has lasted 18 years doing the same.

I know plenty of people in my company that are all hat and no cattle too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I get why you'd call Mark Madden "so many Penguins fans" due to his overall size but he's still just one man.

If anything, I think people were concerned about price tag. With BOTH Letang and Malkin, the general sentiment was "we want them back but not at any cost"

Nope. I made the argument most of that summer that we should just let Letang walk and try to acquire Brent Burns or Jeff Petry on the cheap and people said that was stupid.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
All of the defensemen are a mess right now. Makes me think it's coaching. Could just be an adjustment period getting used to whatever Quinn is trying to get them to do.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Nope. I made the argument most of that summer that we should just let Letang walk and try to acquire Brent Burns or Jeff Petry on the cheap and people said that was stupid.

I get that YOU said that.

I was just saying that I don't think "a lot of fans" wanted to see them both walk. And give how poorly Petry did for us, I would say it was a little stupid. Wanting to give up Pettersson or Matheson for Petry was pretty horrendous in hindsight.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I get that YOU said that.

I was just saying that I don't think "a lot of fans" wanted to see them both walk. And give how poorly Petry did for us, I would say it was a little stupid. Wanting to give up Pettersson or Matheson for Petry was pretty horrendous in hindsight.

Majority of Penguins fans thought Letang was essential to our success and we would not be able to replace him. Many cheers were given after Hextall signed that contract.

Matheson and Pettersson are nobodies. Petry was extremely solid for us. He also out produced Matheson at 5v5 last season.

We were closer to being a playoff team with Petry + Rutta than EK65 + Graves.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Toronto reporters were asking Berube if there's panic after a pre season game. Meanwhile, Yohe thinks Sullivan shits gold after 6 years of failure
Leafs media is deranged but at least you get some hard questions thrown at the players and coaches out of that bunch.

Pens media is mostly feel good boring shit, a bloke that plays the middle and won't say anything too negative but will allude to it very slightly and then provide decent insight, then there's the bloke that will say shit that needs to be said only to follow it up with something super tame and then there's the group that is super negative and idiotic as well as major dick riders of the team and are mouth pieces for the ownership and upper management.

The worst is when a lot of Pens fans take their shit as facts and start to repeat it as facts and ignore actual facts that are readily available. They start to manifest the shit these idiots are telling them is happening and will quite literally ignore stats and everything else that says otherwise.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Majority of Penguins fans thought Letang was essential to our success and we would not be able to replace him. Many cheers were given after Hextall signed that contract.

Matheson and Pettersson are nobodies. Petry was extremely solid for us. He also out produced Matheson at 5v5 last season.

We were closer to being a playoff team with Petry + Rutta than EK65 + Graves.
It didn't seem like Sullivan was all that enamoured with players like Marino, Matheson, Petry, Rutta, etc. He liked Marino to start but then his usage of him soured as it went on.

When you see players like Ruhwedel and Grzelcyk getting a ton of ice time, you get a sense of the type of player he likes. Small and mobile but physically dominated.

Gms don't trade these types of players that often unless the coach is saying I can't work my system with these players. Karlsson had his game adjusted by Sullivan because Dubas got him and wasn't going to budge on moving him if Sullivan f***ed that up too and Karlsson ended up being the most inconsistent he's ever been in his career and he just came off a Norris win the season before he was added. He's not old, hasn't lost his talent, speed, etc. What he has lost is his idea of how to play in this system with his style of that is well established in this league that the coach decided wasn't right for his high IQ system of whatever the f***.

So we keep blaming players. So and so didn't fit. Then they go elsewhere and do well and it's "that gm gave him up!"

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Imagine if JR told Sullivan to just shut the f*** up and work it out with Ian Cole and that Riley Sheahan is more than enough for 3c and they are not getting Brassard, or that Marino is fine, figure it out, or that Reaves is who Sid wanted so use him because I'm not trading him just because you can't figure out proper usage while others have.

He's like a f***ing spoiled brat that was never told no and was enabled by blokes that are idiots for not knowing better.

They let this dumb twat get his way so often. Icing on the cake is hiring Quinn, an absolute Sullivan fan boy and yes man that has no new ideas to offer him because he coaches the same f***ing way.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
Sacramento, CA
I'm not gonna absolve some guys playing worse here for no good reason (brassard never gave a single shit about a single shift here, for instance)

But Sullivan 100% can not manage what he's given. The book of him putting people outside of their obvious wheelhouse, is thicker than a king James Bible.

I legit have no idea what happened in the back to backs vs what we have done the last six years on the ice. It's unfathomable. This is utter incompetence from top to bottom in the FO.

Couple that with players who are even more soft and acting like dey care but don't... And we're f***ed. Therrien would have lost his entire mind with this group of individuals attempting to shit out a team project with no cohesion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad