Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The Oilers, Wings and Avs are all desperate for a goalie. Jarry is probably an upgrade for them. I think hes gone this season if they can dump him without having to pay a sweetener

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not thrilled with the McG scratching... but with Rust healthy who, realistically, was MS going to scratch? Certainly not a vet on the 4th line. And not the dude that just scored two goals.

Exactly. Which is why Groats should be out of Mike Sullivan's control. The idea of keeping him on the NHL roster should have been "growing pains allowed... extra rope allotted." If it's not then it was the wrong choice to begin with. If the team just cannot bring itself to occasionally bench someone who is a years-done product like Noel Acciari then they shouldn't be taking on player development at all.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The Oilers, Wings and Avs are all desperate for a goalie. Jarry is probably an upgrade for them. I think hes gone this season if they can dump him without having to pay a sweetener
I think he's gone by now if they can dump him without taking back a bad deal or adding a sweetener, tbh.

The issue is they're either holding out to get nonexistent value for the guy, or nobody wants to take him. :laugh:

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That'd be awesome if we could do so. EDM would be a great candidate.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
I thought Gryz had a good game.

Wish they were going with the Gryz - EK pairing.

I'm not sure who was on the ice (defensemen) but the kid in goal had some incredible saves... good on him. 1st shot / 2nd shot kinda stops. Looks like he's way more on then Jarry...

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Maybe I'm completely naive on how professional sports organizations are run, but....is that really that unusual? Even if it's not 'official' I think functionally that's how things would work. I can't imagine a GM firing a coach without running it by ownership first. If ownership didn't want that, they'd put a stop to it.

I mean, wasn't that the thing with JR? He wanted to trade Letang and quit because ownership wouldn't let him? Firing the coach seems like even a step up from that.

Well yes and no for I guess all of this...

JR wanted to make moves and thought he had autonomy but realized he didn't, I think there were trades he wanted to make to shake up the team and I guess cut some dead weight/older players, possibly even other changes but we'll never know aside from rumours and what not.

GM's usually fire and hire coaches, but in the Penguins case - Sullivan went and directly negotiated his own extension with ownership, over the GM's head. So really, he already did something most don't do, super shady and weasel like imo. It's like Sullivan knew he had an in with the ownership group and exploited it. So if they hired Dubas to come in and do whatever they felt he needs to do, to fix the team, firing Sullivan should be on the table. If it isn't, then that is beyond f***ed up and also I wouldn't put it past FSG either.

I wouldn't be shocked if FSG told Dubas, look, do whatever you can to fix this team and if they really struggle and there's no trade that fixes it, then and only then, can you approach us with this idea of a coaching change. I mean others have mentioned that Dubas might have actually approached FSG about it this summer and was shot down, even if it was revolving around Keefe, joke or not, I hope there's smoke to that Dubas is open to firing him. Also thank goodness Keefe was hired asap, lol.

But it is weird that the team essentially had JR leave knowing he had no power and around this time is when rumours and reports were that Sullivan had a lot of power and say and then of course when FSG took over, there was a lot of stuff about how FSG basically told Sullivan to do what he needed to do to make sure WBS was how he wanted it to be, etc etc. So that part has enough to put two and two together with FSG and Sullivan's power on the team. But I think that drastically changed with the 2 playoffs misses back to back and then Dubas coming on board.

In any case, contracts wise - Most sign with guaranteed money if they are fired, it's only when they are hired by another team do they stop getting paid from their ex team, in this case, Sullivan would need Penguins permission to find a new team since his contract would still be paying him when he's fired, unless I am wrong. No team blocks that so you never really hear about it, 100% of the teams that fire the coach want them to be hired so they don't need to pay them anymore.

Seems like it took 164 games and two playoff misses for Sullivan to finally understand this.
And even then, he still refuses to make the appropriate adjustments to how they play and the line-up.

Yet somehow, Dubas and FSG think this idiot of a coach is going to miraculously figure it out, it's like they think this is a new thing for Sullivan when really it's been an issue since 2018.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
FWIW Madden says on Madden Monday podcast this am that he believes Dubas promised McG to play or start in the NHL to get him to sign with us…only way he can account for McG still being up lol as he’s our worst forward by far…

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think it will become blatantly obvious (if it has not already) to us this season that our No. 1 need just might be LEFT defense. We did a nice job of restocking the right side in the draft this past summer. We have two very intriguing young goaltenders. Wing is still an issue, short term and long, but at least we have some decent options for now and the future. Plus, the longer Mitch Marner remains un-signed a guy can dream that he wants to reunite with his old GM, stay relatively close to Toronto and play with his Colorado training buddy. Center is a clear long-term need to be sure, but not short term.

Short term, we absolutely need a new partner for Letang. Also, Pettersson might be feeling pressure about not having a deal yet, because he looks awful so far this season. Grz is a bottom-pairing D with some size next to him. He is a terrible fit as a first-pairing guy who is supposed to be the defensive conscience on that unit. And Graves is Graves. Third-pairing guy as well. But only one of these guys can play with St. Ivany.

So, in seeking out a Jarry trade this season, I sure hope Dubas looks at left defense. Aho is not the answer. Shea is not the answer. And Pickering may solve one of these issues, mainly by taking one roster spot next year. But we need more help.

We need a steady, no-frills guy. We need a Rob Scuderi. A Hall Gill. Someone who will not excite anybody here but who will greatly help this club. A left-handed Jack St. Ivany is what we need. I don't think that guy exists in the organization yet. Not necessarily this player per se, but someone like Urho Vaakanainen of the Ducks. My ideal player is someone like Mattias Samuelsson, but it will be hard to land someone like that. Ditto Ryan Lindgren.

If Edmonton would do a Jarry for Brett Kulak deal, we have to consider it. Colorado's cap situation is a total mess. So I don't know what they could offer. Detroit has the type of defensemen we have to stay away from. They have more Ryan Graves in the likes of Chiarot and Holl. Maatta is not an option under Sullivan. But he sure would help now. Albert Johansson would be a nice get, but how does a Jarry/Johansson deal happen?

We need a stable left defenseman. Bottom line.

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Apropos of nothing but I have a buddy I played hockey with that was born in Maine and raised in Boston who, when seeing one of the soda machines that has a touch screen and like 1000 different flavor combos, went wide eyed and said "Holy shit this thing's wicked smaht". I think I can get him on the Pens' coaching staff.
Spare no penny to get the finest hockey minds of our generation.

I'm also going to take the bold stance that it doesn't matter what side our defense of the future plays on, 'cause we got nothing even as far as the current roster goes. Woof.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Our system is far more to blame than our defensemen. Granted, each of them have to perform but time after time we see good dmen come to Sullivan's system and look pedestrian. It's not always the player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad