Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Going to be a rough upcoming season again. I wont be very interested this season. Hopefully we don't do something stupid like trade our 1st round pick for a rental to make the playoffs.
The best part of the season will be the trade deadline, but for different reasons. We'll be selling off players and accruing picks and prospects. The draft and what we garner in a trade will be our cup moving forward.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Glad you're not the GM, but don't worry, by JAN we won't be getting a sniff! And it won't be a mid 1st, oh no, it'll be a top 10 selection.
In this hypothetical, if we made the playoffs it would be a mid-rounder at the highest, so yeah, I reiterate, in this fantasy scenario if you told me trading it guarantees one more playoffs of Sid and co regardless of how deep they make it, I do it all day.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
In this hypothetical, if we made the playoffs it would be a mid-rounder at the highest, so yeah, I reiterate, in this fantasy scenario if you told me trading it guarantees one more playoffs of Sid and co regardless of how deep they make it, I do it all day.
Right, so you wanna put faith in Sid and the core, who by the way has not presided over us winning a ROUND in the post season since Sid was 30? That's a long time ago now.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'll be honest. If we had a guarantee of trading what would be a mid 1st rounder to get one more playoffs with this core, I do it 100%.
I don't see us as a mid 1st round pick anymore, we did not even replace Jake. We will be worse this upcoming season and again struggle even more scoring goals.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Also, we're done trading 1st rounders for the foreseeable future.

Yes? Who says no to playoff hockey with Sid? Madness. That's why we watch.
Because all they'll do is lose decisively in round 1. It's time to turn the page and build for the future, which of course has already started.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This is literally a hypothetical. As in "would you trade next draft's 1st rounder if it guaranteed making the playoffs, regardless of the outcome?'
IF Sid and Geno can't win with this team at 32 and 33, what makes you think they'd have any modicum of post season success at 37 and 38 with the same coach and a worse supporting cast?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Because hockey can be random and sometimes crazy shit happens? Also because, I reiterate, playoff hockey is why we watch and root to begin with.
Not if it means we get torched in the 1st round, which became customary with this team, no thanks! Best thing that can happen is we plummet (which we will) and we draft well and become relevant again.

This team isn't going anywhere anytime soon, you need to accept that! Or, you're gonna be sorely disappointed.

Not if it means a 1st round exit again.
Some unfortunately are gluttons for punishment. They simply can't let go.

Which is why Sid should have demanded a trade to COL. But he apparently wants to go down with the ship. Well, that's exactly what he'll do then.

At least we'll be picking high in the next few drafts, just gotta make those picks count!

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
money is exactly where it makes sense. it’s a gate driven league

Right. The other leagues make the majority of their money, or close to it, through TV deals.

The NHL is the best live sport. They’ve never been able to replicate it on TV.

Meanwhile if I go to a NFL game it’s basically the same as watching from home except a bunch of drunks and I can’t see everything.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Saw this Q & A on The Athletic lol ….today

Based on the moves they have made this offseason; do you expect the Penguins to be able to make it through this temporary retooling and still be legit contenders (and/or major FA players) headed into the last year of Sid’s new deal? — Daniel K.

In a word, no. It’s just too imperfect a roster construction, something that isn’t completely on the current general manager, Kyle Dubas, but is a function of how he responded to the team he inherited from Ron Hextall, his predecessor. Now I do understand why Hextall wanted to keep Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang around and signed them to their extensions; they played prominent roles in what the Penguins achieved over the past decade and a half and still had some mileage left on the tires. Moreover, those matching $6.1 million AAVs don’t look bad considering the inflationary salary spiral we’re seeing as the cap rises. I was less excited about the $5 million annually that Hextall spent to retain Rickard Rakell. That set a bad precedent. Dubas’ signature splashy move, acquiring Erik Karlsson from San Jose, never made any sense. Too expensive — at a $10 million AAV. It just felt as if Karlsson and Letang spent all of last season trying to get out of each other’s way.

It reminded me of when Karlsson and Brent Burns manned the right side of the defense in San Jose, where neither could assume the full alpha role. Both were better when Burns moved on to Carolina.

In goal, I’ve been forever beating the drums of a John-Gibson-to-Pittsburgh trade. Gibson, I’m convinced, wants out of Anaheim and Anaheim would be ready to move on. Instead, the Penguins opted to retain Tristan Jarry on a pricey extension that didn’t work out, not last year anyway. All the money they allocated elsewhere, which meant they couldn’t retain Jake Guentzel, was baffling and shortsighted. As for the pieces they’ve added ahead of this year’s training camp, they all feel like spare parts rather than difference-makers (Kevin Hayes, Cody Glass, Blake Lizotte, Anthony Beauvillier, Emil Bemstrom).

The Penguins have missed the playoffs for two consecutive seasons, their prospect pipeline doesn’t feature much in the way of grade-A talent, and their best veterans are all a year older. That all suggests they aren’t legit contenders and won’t be during Crosby’s remaining years. Crosby is such a singular talent, practically an NHL unicorn on some levels, but hockey remains the ultimate team sport. One individual, even an individual of Crosby’s accomplishments and pedigree, is not enough to turn an average team into a contender.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Who the hell thinks we're legit contenders? The org wouldn't even say that. Where the hell is that question coming from...

We can barely hope to get midpack.

That dude just wrote two thousand words when "lol no" sufficed

Reactions: Andy99

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

Based on the moves they have made this offseason; do you expect the Penguins to be able to make it through this temporary retooling and still be legit contenders (and/or major FA players) headed into the last year of Sid’s new deal? — Daniel K.

In a word, no. It’s just too imperfect a roster construction, something that isn’t completely on the current general manager, Kyle Dubas, but is a function of how he responded to the team he inherited from Ron Hextall, his predecessor. Now I do understand why Hextall wanted to keep Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang around and signed them to their extensions; they played prominent roles in what the Penguins achieved over the past decade and a half and still had some mileage left on the tires. Moreover, those matching $6.1 million AAVs don’t look bad considering the inflationary salary spiral we’re seeing as the cap rises. I was less excited about the $5 million annually that Hextall spent to retain Rickard Rakell. That set a bad precedent. Dubas’ signature splashy move, acquiring Erik Karlsson from San Jose, never made any sense. Too expensive — at a $10 million AAV. It just felt as if Karlsson and Letang spent all of last season trying to get out of each other’s way.

It reminded me of when Karlsson and Brent Burns manned the right side of the defense in San Jose, where neither could assume the full alpha role. Both were better when Burns moved on to Carolina.

In goal, I’ve been forever beating the drums of a John-Gibson-to-Pittsburgh trade. Gibson, I’m convinced, wants out of Anaheim and Anaheim would be ready to move on. Instead, the Penguins opted to retain Tristan Jarry on a pricey extension that didn’t work out, not last year anyway. All the money they allocated elsewhere, which meant they couldn’t retain Jake Guentzel, was baffling and shortsighted. As for the pieces they’ve added ahead of this year’s training camp, they all feel like spare parts rather than difference-makers (Kevin Hayes, Cody Glass, Blake Lizotte, Anthony Beauvillier, Emil Bemstrom).

The Penguins have missed the playoffs for two consecutive seasons, their prospect pipeline doesn’t feature much in the way of grade-A talent, and their best veterans are all a year older. That all suggests they aren’t legit contenders and won’t be during Crosby’s remaining years. Crosby is such a singular talent, practically an NHL unicorn on some levels, but hockey remains the ultimate team sport. One individual, even an individual of Crosby’s accomplishments and pedigree, is not enough to turn an average team into a contender.

This seems spot on.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Right. The other leagues make the majority of their money, or close to it, through TV deals.

The NHL is the best live sport. They’ve never been able to replicate it on TV.

Meanwhile if I go to a NFL game it’s basically the same as watching from home except a bunch of drunks and I can’t see everything.

You've nailed it: my 2 fav sports are NHL and NFL and they have the polar opposite viewing experiences.

1. NFL best on TV and worst live. It's boring AF in person.
2. NHL is the opposite

But you make more money as an NFL owner with TV rights vs gate revenue.

The NFL could literally play in front of empty stadiums and they'd make a crazy amount of money.
The NHL would go defunct with such a scenario.

Reactions: eXile3

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Obviously there is a lot more to skating but here are the rankings by top speed last year according to Edge. First the speed and second the percentile.

1. EK 23.20 - 90
2. Crosby 22.88 - 80
3. DOC 22.74 - 77
4. Eller 22.44 - 60
5. Letang 22.38 - 56
6. Rust 22.28 - 50
Every body from here down is below 50th percentile in the league.
7. Rakell 22.27
8. Puustinen 22.25
9. Glass 21.92
10. Hayes 21.82
11. Poulin 21.66
12. Bunting 21.55
13. Malkin 21.33
14. Lizotte 21.33
15. Aho 20.94
16. Acciari 20.92
17. Ludwig 20.89
18. MP 20.86
19. Graves 20.84
18. Grzelyk 19.57

I think that’s all waiver eligible. Not sure how it compares to other teams but I’m imagining not good.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

This actually a pretty fair answer. This roster was pretty well wrecked by Hextall so I think that was ultimately the bullet that killed it but we are in the "bleeding out" part of the slow death. Yeah, Dubas can try to repair that a bit but he also needs to not make it worse - *cough* Jarry *cough* But I mean, what else can we really do? It's tough to accumulate all of the talent needed to win a cup. Takes teams years to do it (unless you're JR apparently). I don't think dumping Letang and Malkin would have been right. It would have put us in a much more awkward position because you still have Sid wanting to compete. I think it's okay though to "adjust goals and expectations". The expectation that this team will compete for a Cup is likely gone. I don't think that's the goal or expectation of any reasonable player, coach, or fan. But perhaps "make the playoffs" is the goal for the season and anything you do there is gravy. That's okay. That's a worthwhile pursuit in the twilight years of Sid, Geno, and Letang. Seeing those three drag a team to the playoffs would be fun. One thing it does for us, the fans, is put meaning into EVERY game in the RS. There are no more "well it's November, who cares if we lose" games. They need every single point as evidenced by the last two years.

You "cup or gutter" people are weird.
Interesting. I would actually be okay with Pavs wanting to come into the organization. He seems like a Briere or Drury kind of guy who would like to manage a team. Partner up with Spezza to support Dubas would be okay in my book. Can't be any worse than Hextall and his brilliant AGM that traded out Matheson, Marino, and a 2nd for a pile of magic beans and Granlund.

Reactions: Sideline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad