Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Same as every other year for the past decade it seems.

It's incredible we've won 3 cups given how bad our GMs have generally been outside of a few great trades.

Probably a testament to Sid, Malkin and Letang who are going to get told to f*** up most likely by this ownership group if they don't want to play ball.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I think the Dubas quotes from today make me much less confident in him going forward. His description of what he wants to do with the team just reeks of "I'm not going to do anything". I don't even think it's about the path he's picking, you can pick any of "rebuild", "contend" or "compete while building up the prospect pool" while being active about it. But I really got the impression that Dubas is perfectly fine with doing nothing and not making any moves to go towards any of those paths.
He said he would trade players for prospects or picks, but he wasn't going to dump salary just to dump salary. I'm generally fine with that approach. Salary dumps would probably cost assets that Dubas should be using to rebuild the prospect pool.

None of the players he should be trying to move are worth a first. Day 2 is when you expect to see the guys worth 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths to move. Smith, Eller, and Jarry are all worth something in that range. It's entirely possible one of all of them are off the team this time tomorrow.

If Dubas sits on his hands tomorrow and starts handing out 7x7 to Brett Pesce or 5x5 to Max Domi, then I will be disappointed.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Well did ole Jesse say this back when they traded for EK?????????? Because most I read were jumping over the moon, while little ole me stated emphatically that they shouldn't be trading picks away.

You may not like my style, but no one on this board or in the media has been proven more right than me when looking back.

I accept the nomination as your President of the board with humility.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Well, hopefully July 1st is more entertaining and productive for Pens fans than that.

Cope. Dubas is basically on record saying he won't sign anything beyond a two year deal and this era is over.

Pretty obvious that the method here is basically let Malkin retire. Keep our picks and then hope in 3 years you can do something with an old ass Sid.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Theyre gonna half ass next season again but next summer is where I really hope they commit to the rebuild. On, July 1st 2025 Rust's NMC falls off and he has literally no trade protection. That would be a great way to jump start the rebuild. Geno turns 39 next summer so I dont know how much longer the team can tread water like this. 2026 is the year to tank with Mckenna being the next Crosby/McDavid level talent.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Theyre gonna half ass next season again but next summer is where I really hope they commit to the rebuild. On, July 1st 2025 Rust's NMC falls off and he has literally no trade protection. That would be a great way to jump start the rebuild. Geno turns 39 next summer so I dont know how much longer the team can tread water like this. 2026 is the year to tank with Mckenna being the next Crosby/McDavid level talent.

I still think we potentially see Sid wear another jersey with the way it looks like we are trending.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I remember Errey saying during a a broadcast that Verbeek was the only player he ever played with or against that he never respected. It was so off-the-cuff and coming from him it stuck with me.
One of the best stories Bob told was to a buddy of mine who met him at a meet and great or maybe a cup reunion I cant remember anyways, he basically went full Slapshot on Martin St. Louis his final year in the AHL saying he was a "f***in talentless midget who barely stands up to his goddamn dick and he would never sniff the NHL".

After I heard that, I can never hate Bob Errey every again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
the reporters will blame Malkin.
It's been their move for years.

"Malkin can play with anyone" - Another media driven falsehood and dipshit narrative.

Apparently for years it was ok to throw anything on his line and give him no time to develop chemistry. But Sid had Dupuis, Kunitz, Rust And Guentzel for 90% of his career.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think the Dubas quotes from today make me much less confident in him going forward. His description of what he wants to do with the team just reeks of "I'm not going to do anything". I don't even think it's about the path he's picking, you can pick any of "rebuild", "contend" or "compete while building up the prospect pool" while being active about it. But I really got the impression that Dubas is perfectly fine with doing nothing and not making any moves to go towards any of those paths.

He said "we won't move out players if the return isn't good", which to me basically means "we won't be moving out any players" with who this team has on their roster.
Every GM says they won't move out players unless the return is good.

It's posturing. He probably got some offers that he didn't like.

Rutherford and Hextall would say the same shit.

Reactions: Sideline and Turin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Every GM says they won't move out players unless the return is good.

It's posturing. He probably got some offers that he didn't like.

Rutherford and Hextall would say the same shit.

cope-cope-harder.gif

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
That's why we should've been taking on deals like Mikheyev and Walman for 2nd round picks.

We are basically going to sign comparable players in UFA to similar term.

It makes absolutely no sense we aren't attempting to make deals like that.
I would much rather have POJ, Ludvig, and St. Ivany play over the 28 year old Walman.

Reactions: Turin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Donny Wads dropping L's like he was always meant to be a Lumbus jacket.

Lindstrom Fantilli is a great one two punch. But yeah. That's a hard one.

I would much rather have POJ, Ludvig, and St. Ivany play over the 28 year old Walman.

It's about getting a 2nd and then having a player like Walman you can easily moved at the deadline for additional picks.

If Kindergarten Kyle had an ounce of a plan, maybe he'd be making smart moves like this.

And before you say "nobody offered anything for him", multiple GMs have mentioned to insiders they weren't even aware Walman was on the market.

Plus, I guarantee you'll be saying how great it is that we signed Marcus Pettersson when that comes down.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Kindergarten Kyle's biggest trades are the Kadri one where he got jack shit back, the ROR one (also Acciari, of whom we are now stuck with here), and the Karlsson deal.

Outside of that he seems more gun shy to make the bigger deals. He loves to build from free agency more than trades.

Ludvig f***ing sucks.

Shea was better, Ludvig was just atrocious and somehow he's seen as someone worth keeping.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Kindergarten Kyle's biggest trades are the Kadri one where he got jack shit back, the ROR one (also Acciari, of whom we are now stuck with here), and the Karlsson deal.

Outside of that he seems more gun shy to make the bigger deals. He loves to build from free agency more than trades.

He sucks at UFA too.

Dubas doesn't do anything right.

We are in purgatory for at least 5 more years under this clown.

It's so over.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Longer quote from Dubas in Yohe's recap.

“With where we’re at, the only thing that’s really important to us is that if we’re moving players out, the return has to be good,” Dubas said. “I don’t think we’re a team, with where we’re at right now, where we’re going to be looking to do these types of deals where we’re looking to move salary out and willing to do poor deals or attach any assets. I don’t think we have any players that fall in that trench.

“With where we’re at right now, it would be more of the opposite. If there were deals that best serve us to get to that goal, we would probably look to take those on. If there are draft picks, young players or prospects that would help us get back to contention sooner, it would be more in that realm than we would be to try to move off our guys to create more space to get into free agency. We won’t be involved in the long-term free agency stuff.”
Isn't this approach what the board has been asking for? Dubas isn't doing salary dumps. He wants assets back or he wants assets attached to other moves. And he's not signing long term deals in FA.

That's exactly the approach he should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad