Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
if they want to try and stay competitive (not the most prudent path in my opinion but I understand) the obsession with depth needs to stop. id be much happier with reckless & expensive moves for guys with a shot at being actual difference makers.

versus signing some 27 pt 31 year old guy that *could* be a nice bottom 6er *if* he fits in… to 3 years of term.

“With respect to our group… I’ve known Grizzled Aging Plug with Zero Wheels for a long time and he embodies being a professional in our league. We are excited to have him. This move bolsters our depth at forward and gives us a strong bottom 6 that can really support our top guys” - Mike Sullivan

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Why do we care about 4 million dollar baggage exactly?

Because I want to see Crosby in the Playoffs again. Do I have hope for them to pull off something miraculous this summer. No

But Mikheyev sucks and getting him just makes the offseason start off awful already. At least I can keep some false hope while they have some cap to spend.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Because I want to see Crosby in the Playoffs again. Do I have hope for them to pull off something miraculous this summer. No

But Mikheyev sucks and getting him just makes the offseason start off awful already. At least I can keep some false hope while they have some cap to spend.

Ah, so cope.

Mikheyev doesn't suck by the way. He's not an exciting player, but getting him at 4 million is the type of move that could potentially have a huge effect on the depth of the roster.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I'm excited to see an undersized, mediocre skating, offense oriented European skill player under Mike Sullivan and David Quinn. No concerns there.

Ponomarev is a good pick-up and potentially will make the deal stomachable.

Still, it's bizarre how many people say "we got 3 forward prospects" as if that is a good thing when none of them are sure things. We had the best asset on the market.

I think at the end of the day we will just disagree.

Which is fine. I'd rather what Kyle got then a 1st round pick in the 24 range.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Ah, so cope.

Mikheyev doesn't suck by the way. He's not an exciting player, but getting him at 4 million is the type of move that could potentially have a huge effect on the depth of the roster.

I'd rather cope then be obsessed with other teams trading garbage to each other. That's just exhausting lol

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I'd rather cope then be obsessed with other teams trading garbage to each other. That's just exhausting lol

Trevor Daley and Carl Hagelin were viewed as garbage when they were acquired by JIm Rutherford.

If you want to "be a playoff team" the only path we have since Dubas is on record stating he isn't going to move assets is through UFA / acquiring bad contracts.

I'd much prefer we acquire bad contracts then sign them in UFA.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Trevor Daley and Carl Hagelin were viewed as garbage when they were acquired by JIm Rutherford.

If you want to "be a playoff team" the only path we have since Dubas is on record stating he isn't going to move assets is through UFA / acquiring bad contracts.

The Penguins traded their own bad contracts for Daley and Hagelin. I think most people would be completely fine with the Penguins trading their current bad deals for new blood in the system. Just taking on Mikheyev's deal and getting a 2nd for it doesn't accomplish that.

And we trade garbage for them.

Would have done a Mikheyev for Smith swap? Absolutely. Do I want both on this team? No way

100% where I'm at.

I'm totally good with trading for bad contracts with getting assets on top. But that needs to be Rakell for a bad contract and assets or Jarry for a bad contract and assets.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
And we trade garbage for them.

Would have done a Mikheyev for Smith swap? Absolutely. Do I want both on this team? No way

Conceptualy you keep both Mikheyev and Smith and then hopefully move one in season for assets.

You get a 2nd for taking on Mikheyev and then you move him or Smith in season for a 2nd or a 3rd. That's how you retool like Dubas is asking.

The Penguins traded their own bad contracts for Daley and Hagelin. I think most people would be completely fine with the Penguins trading their current bad deals for new blood in the system. Just taking on Mikheyev's deal and getting a 2nd for it doesn't accomplish that.

Take on Mikheyev for a 2nd and then move Smith with retention for a pick / prospect.

Wow. We did it!

Sideline

May 23, 2004

I think the Penguins ideal free agent signings are the day two and day three guys. People that started out pricing themselves too high usually offer better value than the first signings of the summer.

I'm think of guys like ERod and Matt Cullen that were both later in the summer signings in different years. Not big names. Not big dollars. Just quality hockey players that ended up being available when most of the teams head already blown their cap space.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I think the Penguins ideal free agent signings are the day two and day three guys. People that started out pricing themselves too high usually offer better value than the first signings of the summer.

I'm think of guys like ERod and Matt Cullen that were both later in the summer signings in different years. Not big names. Not big dollars. Just quality hockey players that ended up being available when most of the teams head already blown their cap space.

I hope so, because we could've easily done that last year, but instead had to sign Eller, Jarry, and Graves on day one.

Reactions: BillyOcean

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Focusing on "getting younger" and adding Michael Bunting to your cap line is parallel odds.

I get it. Everyone needs to lie to themselves and act like this was the best deal on the table.

Parallel odds? It is walking and chewing gum at the same time. If you don't think it has a chance to succeed, that is fine. You are not alone. But it is exactly what Dubas has said all along is his plan. He wants to a) make the team younger, while b) maintaining a level of competitiveness while Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Karlsson are here. That is his plan. I happen to like this plan because NOTHING ELSE HAS WORKED since 2017.

You seem to think he should trade Crosby. Because that is the only way this team blows the whole thing up. And then what? If Crosby wants to stay, then he stays. That is as automatic as waking up in the morning and splashing water on your face. Oh man, it sucks so much that Sidney Crosby still wants to be here. I wish we never had him. Said absolutely nobody. Ever.

The best deal on the table? Is that what you are bitching about? We got a good deal, and Carolina lost this trade by a wide margin. Who cares about the rest. Semantics, dude.

So all of this is because you wanted Tulsky instead of Dubas as GM? OK. I wanted Mathieu Darche and was adamant that he was the best candidate. I hated Kyle Dubas in Toronto. I hated Michael Bunting in Toronto. I liked Mike Sullivan in 2017.

Things change.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
if they want to try and stay competitive (not the most prudent path in my opinion but I understand) the obsession with depth needs to stop. id be much happier with reckless & expensive moves for guys with a shot at being actual difference makers.

versus signing some 27 pt 31 year old guy that *could* be a nice bottom 6er *if* he fits in… to 3 years of term.

“With respect to our group… I’ve known Grizzled Aging Plug with Zero Wheels for a long time and he embodies being a professional in our league. We are excited to have him. This move bolsters our depth at forward and gives us a strong bottom 6 that can really support our top guys” - Mike Sullivan

Yeah I think people say "don't pay bottom-6ers" and I don't think that's quite correct. What should be said is "don't pay easy to find bottom-6ers". You shouldn't be signing Acciari to a 3 year deal. You shouldn't be signing McGinn to a 4 year deal.

If you want to give term to a bottom-6 guy, go sign a 2nd line guy that you can play on your 3rd line. Spend $5 million on a 2nd line player to carry your 3rd line rather than spending $2.5 million on 2 3rd/4th liners that are just there and can be easily acquired via trade.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad