Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Friedman mentioning Wings are looking at both Gibson and Jarry. Figure it mostly comes down to cost for the two, basically Detroit trying to find out which deal is best for them.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
What troubles me is that everytime Friedman talks about Jarry, it mostly sounds like speculation. The most concrete thing he said was that someone told him Jarrys name is out there.

I just hope Dubas isn't in a "We'll move Jarry for the right price mindset". He needs to go for the lowest amount of salary coming back. There is no way you run back the same duo again.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My guess is that Detroit ends up going with the cheaper of Jarry and Gibson, "cheaper" being a combination of cost to acquire and cap hit. Whether Dubas pushes hard for that deal to get done depends entirely on what Anaheim is willing to do. The Anaheim situation with Gibson is a bit murky, in that I really don't have a good idea of what they'd want for him or how much money they'd be willing to retain.

The perfect outcome is that Anaheim either doesn't want to retain or wants notable assets for Gibson, which pushes the Wings to a cheaper option in Jarry while still giving up decent value for him. But if Anaheim is in a "get rid of Gibson" mindset, Dubas shouldn't try to match that with Jarry.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
My guess is that Detroit ends up going with the cheaper of Jarry and Gibson, "cheaper" being a combination of cost to acquire and cap hit. Whether Dubas pushes hard for that deal to get done depends entirely on what Anaheim is willing to do. The Anaheim situation with Gibson is a bit murky, in that I really don't have a good idea of what they'd want for him or how much money they'd be willing to retain.

The perfect outcome is that Anaheim either doesn't want to retain or wants notable assets for Gibson, which pushes the Wings to a cheaper option in Jarry while still giving up decent value for him. But if Anaheim is in a "get rid of Gibson" mindset, Dubas shouldn't try to match that with Jarry.

Does Gibson have a NMC or anything like that? Wonder if Detroit would be on his list if he does...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I have to imagine Yzerman would want to send Husso back in any Jarry trade. That eats up a lot of the appeal of moving off Jarry to save cap space at least in the short term. I would actually want something reasonably valuable like a 2nd + lower end prospect to do that deal.

Yeah Husso and a 2nd is what I'd want at minimum from Detroit.

Does Gibson have a NMC or anything like that? Wonder if Detroit would be on his list if he does...

10 team NTC, same as Jarry I believe.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

We should just give them Jarry straight up for Husso to get out of the deal.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I can't imagine Detroit having many reasons to be concerned about money but an interesting tidbit comparing contracts is that Gibson is straight salary with no bonus for the entire contract. Jarry has $1mil, $1mil, $3mil, and $ 2.5mil in bonuses over the next years. The buyout for Gibson is significantly more palatable than Jarry.

I never looked into Jarry's contract structure until now but WTF Dubas!?

The cap hits and term are fairly comparable so this may come down to price tag. And who knows, they could be going back and forth right now seeing who blinks first.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We should just give them Jarry straight up for Husso to get out of the deal.

I don't see "getting out of Jarry's deal" as being worth the downgrade from Jarry to Husso, especially with effectively no savings in money this year.

They need either some sort of asset or cap savings this year to justify moving him. If they can't get that, they shouldn't move him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I don't see "getting out of Jarry's deal" as being worth the downgrade from Jarry to Husso, especially with effectively no savings in money this year.

They need either some sort of asset or cap savings this year to justify moving him. If they can't get that, they shouldn't move him.

Gives us cap space not tied up in a loser for 4 more years.

Saves us cap space this year. You can buy out Husso and it nets you a total of nearly 4 mil this year.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Gives us cap space not tied up in a loser for 4 more years.

Saves us cap space this year. You can buy out Husso and it nets you a total of nearly 4 mil this year.

A Husso buyout, which is just a $1.6 million cap penalty for 2 years, isn't appealing either.

Getting out of Jarry's deal is not worth either downgrading to Husso while saving basically no money or taking a $1.6 million cap penalty for the next 2 years. Neither one of those are appealing.

If you're willing to eat a $1.6 million cap penalty to get out of Jarry's deal, why not retain Jarry down to $3.7 million (his deal minus $1.6 million in cap) and get actual assets for him? Jarry would bring back legitimate value if he's retained down to that price.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
A Husso buyout, which is just a $1.6 million cap penalty for 2 years, isn't appealing either.

Getting out of Jarry's deal is not worth either downgrading to Husso while saving basically no money or taking a $1.6 million cap penalty for the next 2 years. Neither one of those are appealing.

If you're willing to eat a $1.6 million cap penalty to get out of Jarry's deal, why not retain Jarry down to $3.7 million (his deal minus $1.6 million in cap) and get actual assets for him? Jarry would bring back legitimate value if he's retained down to that price.

Doubt it.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think the only reason cap space comes into effect for this team is if they want to start taking on other teams' bad contracts for picks/prospects tbh. No free agent that's gonna move the needle is gonna look to sign with the Pens because of where they're at in the lifespan of the era.

I'm not even sure monetizing cap space to take bad deals is gonna be a thing much longer with how much the cap's likely to jump over these next few years.

Reactions: Gurglesons

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Im becoming increasingly convinced that we are going to run back Jarry/Ned again this season, with Blomqvist being given a legitimate shot to come up and stay up if one of them falters or more likely sustains an injury. They'll leave enough cap and roster flexibility to carry that 3rd goalie if need be. Depending on how it plays out, they might make a move at the deadline.

Reactions: Andy99

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I think the only reason cap space comes into effect for this team is if they want to start taking on other teams' bad contracts for picks/prospects tbh. No free agent that's gonna move the needle is gonna look to sign with the Pens because of where they're at in the lifespan of the era.

I'm not even sure monetizing cap space to take bad deals is gonna be a thing much longer with how much the cap's likely to jump over these next few years.
Monetizing cap space will always be a thing. There have been stupid contracts signed every July first in the cap era. As long as there is unrestricted free agency GMs will bid stupid amounts of cap space trying to get their guy.

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I think the poster was suggesting there is value in not being tied to Jarry's long ass contract. Meaning that value is greater than a potential downgrade in players (Husso v Jarry)

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Monetizing cap space will always be a thing. There have been stupid contracts signed every July first in the cap era. As long as there is unrestricted free agency GMs will big stupid amounts of cap space trying to get their guy.
Yeah, I worded it poorly. I meant the cap jumping maybe $10M from this season to the season after next might make teams a lot less likely to pay substantial assets to get rid of thorns in their side. Probably gonna have to wait a few years for the new batch of even shittier contracts (thanks to said elevated cap) before it's netting you anything really valuable--which, by the time that happens, should be the perfect time for this team to take advantage of it again. They'll be well and truly basement dwellers by then imo.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Yeah, I worded it poorly. I meant the cap jumping maybe $10M from this season to the season after next might make teams a lot less likely to pay substantial assets to get rid of thorns in their side. Probably gonna have to wait a few years for the new batch of even shittier contracts (thanks to said elevated cap) before it's netting you anything really valuable--which, by the time that happens, should be the perfect time for this team to take advantage of it again. They'll be well and truly basement dwellers by then imo.

It will be interesting to see if Arizona > Utah means that they will actually try and compete now and add another wrinkle to the weaponization of cap space. The default cap dumping ground may no longer be available.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

This is why you don't retain and you deal Jarry for a player like Husso that you can buy out or run this year.

Gives us flexiblity to make moves.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Detroit has plenty of cap space. They didn't need to trade Walman but they did. Makes me wonder if there isn't larger deal afoot with Anaheim - perhaps bringing in both Fowler and Gibson. In turn, Detroit could provide a couple younger prospects that are more in line with Anaheim's time line.

Of course, we could send them Jarry and Graves too. For little. Or if they really wanna get froggy and up their game...Pettersson. Maybe Husso + Marco Kasper for Jarry + Pettersson with an extension on July 1st pre-planned.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
1719424913894.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad