Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Is it possible the Islanders choose not to tender Wahlstrom a contract and he becomes a UFA?

As for Mangiapane, I wonder if that's the Reilly Smith solution. Both pending UFAs. Similar cap hits. Maybe another piece or two added on either side to balance things out.
Smith for Mang and something for the extra year of cap? What's $5.8 mil worth with the cap going up again next year, a 2nd?

I did mention I think a month ish ago about taking on a retained Jeff Skinner.
Rakell for Skinner at $7 mil and a pick?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don’t get the interest in Mangiapane or Wahlstrom. They’re lateral moves at best.

We don’t have a lot of currency to do anything but lateral moves.

I’d like them to revisit history a little and find players who are exceptional in some areas. Hagelin, Hornqvist & Bonino weren’t top line players but awesome at parts of the game. In particular Hagelin & Hornqvist who’s best traits were either best in the league or right up there.

Rakell and Smith are ok but just not dynamic and at their cap hits it’s kinda detrimental to us getting a quick turnaround for another playoff berth.

Bunting’s cap hit is close to theirs but he brings a dynamic that is noticeable and can really help us.

We need gravy on these fries not more salt & pepper.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
DeBrusk-Sid-Rust
Laine-Malkin-Rakell
Bunting-Pono-DOC
Poulin-Eller-Acciari

Is what we should be aiming for if we are getting Laine. With that lineup, You have 6 top 6 wings that you can mix and match until you find a fit. And it doesn't have to be DeBrusk. That was just a "who's a capable LW". Could be a variety of mid-range wings. Whoever the next Rust or Rakell is.

Has Laine played much RW? I know he spent most of his time at LW and then played center a bit in Columbus. But what would be best is if he could play RW.
Debrusk is kind of meh to me. He disappears for far too long of stretches, and he just strikes me a loser, overall.
Another cheap option that could be available: Buffalo is allegedly considering buying out Jeff Skinner.
He can continue his streak of never making the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Hanks

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Smith for Mang and something for the extra year of cap? What's $5.8 mil worth with the cap going up again next year, a 2nd?

Unsure what I'd do on both trades.

Honestly I was hoping for a cheap Skinner like a UFA acquisition.
Retain 3 million we take on the cap hit of 6 million we give a 6th rounder.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

I imagine Buffalo would prefer a 50% retention than buyout. I think teams trading with them would make that non-negotiable especially as he has a NMC and wants to be close to family and friends in southern Ontario (that might have changed now though).

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Goodrow was awesome in the playoffs this year(that won’t matter here though lol).

One of like 4 players on NYR playing with a pulse.

Reactions: SEALBound

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If I recall correctly, Mangiapane was playing at RW with Michael Bunting at the worlds. Dubas was there as part of Team Canada, so I believe that is where all of this is coming from. Mangiapane would be the RW on the Bunting-Malkin line. I don't remember who played center on that Team Canada line, but it was not John Tavares I do not believe.

I don't see the motivation for Calgary to trade Mangiapane for Smith, and I don't see the motivation for Smith to accept a trade to Cgy. And we sure as hell should not think about trading away futures for a player like Mangiapane. And would we even want to re-sign him? We would be acquiring a guy now to trade for futures at the deadline? I really don't see this as a fit.

Skinner does nothing for us if he is a UFA. As a retained salary acquisition with future assets thrown in, he absolutely has value to us.

I think Wahlstrom is at least a decent bet to not be qualified. The Isles would need to throw him into a trade to make that work.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Smith+ for Laine
Something not Rakell for Mangiapani

Laine-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Mangiapani
DOC-Eller-Rakell

Sid would have an aneurysm playing with Laine but it’s funish on paper

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not Penguins related, but I find it funny how many Canucks fans seemingly have this idea that Guentzel will sign with them for less money than anywhere else. Sounds just like them thinking that Guentzel would be traded there for their nothing pieces at the deadline :laugh:

"He'll sign for $8 million a year because it lets us keep Joshua and Zadorov" levels of delusion.

It's going to be funny when he signs with Chicago for an eye-popping amount of money. My hot take right now is that someone pays Guentzel over $70 million on his next deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: SEALBound

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Mangiapane seems like the exact kind of player that would thrive with Crosby.
Based on? Sid's done best recently with a guy who is either cerebral and good with the puck (Guentzel) or who has some speed as a puck carrier (Rust). I just feel like Sid needs more skill/playmaking out of his other winger at this point.

Also, it doesn't help that Mangiapane is tiny. We really need to stop stacking Sid's line with guys who are smaller than him. If Mangiapane was 6'2 and 200+ lbs to go along with his other attributes, that's one thing. But he's like 5'10 and a 180 lbs. on a line that's already small by NHL standards.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Based on? Sid's done best recently with a guy who is either cerebral and good with the puck (Guentzel) or who has some speed as a puck carrier (Rust). I just feel like Sid needs more skill/playmaking out of his other winger at this point.

Also, it doesn't help that Mangiapane is tiny. We really need to stop stacking Sid's line with guys who are smaller than him. If Mangiapane was 6'2 and 200+ lbs to go along with his other attributes, that's one thing. But he's like 5'10 and a 180 lbs. on a line that's already small by NHL standards.

His entire track record? Crosby has consistently fit well with players like Mangipane. Sheary is the glaring obvious example of that.

The Penguins had a great top line to end last year while it was O'Connor-Crosby-Rust. I really struggle to see how Mangipane-Crosby-Rust would be an issue.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Mangiapane is pretty physical despite his size.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
His entire track record? Crosby has consistently fit well with players like Mangipane. Sheary is the glaring obvious example of that.

The Penguins had a great top line to end last year while it was O'Connor-Crosby-Rust. I really struggle to see how Mangipane-Crosby-Rust would be an issue.
What's something O'Connor has that Mangiapane doesn't? That right there is one thing that I feel DOC added to that was missing, IMO, that caused issues for that line whenever they'd just go all sub 6'0 on it.

Also, "his track record" is based on prime Crosby. Again, I'd really like to stop surrounding Crosby with players like he had during his peak when he could be the guy who created everything for his line and start putting guys on his line who can do some of that heavy lifting for him.

And that's not even touching on the fact if Rakell is being moved, it's moving someone off of MALKIN'S line. And I don't see a fit for Mangiapane on that line. If you stick with DOC on the Crosby/Rust line, then whoever Rakell is moved for needs to play with Geno. And I don't think that's a fit at this point in his career.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Mangiapane is pretty physical despite his size.

But is he Olivia Newton John physical

1718750160177.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad