Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Not much of a gamble if there's not much to lose.
It's 4.35M x 2 years after CBJ retains 50%. They have no leverage. He wants out, and he's been hurt a lot the last 4 years.
Is there any timeline where the Pens convert that money into something that gets them past a 1st round opponent? Probably not, no? So what's there to sweat about? It's a short term investment.
At least acquiring Laine would directly address one of their core issues, which is PP1 and a shooting threat on the left wall. Might make the team a little more tolerable to watch.
I mean if Columbus is retaining and it’s not a 1st rounder or Yager going back in the trade I’d be willing to do that. I’m not sure what package we can offer but I’d have to think it’s one of the 2nd rounders we have. If Dubas can pull another Karlsson NHL 24 trade where we trade all our bad players for their good player then let’s go!

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I hadnt been so giddy for the season to start after acquiring Karlsson since when they brought in Kessel. I don’t think Karlsson was bad necessarily last year but wasn’t what I had expected… to be fair when we got Kessel I thought oh man he’ll put up 40 goals easy playing with Sid…. Not that the 2016 season was a disappointment by any means.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
According to cap friendly Laine has a 10 team NTC no clue which teams those would be or if he would try to “choose” which team he is traded to. With his cap hit being 8.7 if they can dump some salary and not get much back maybe can get him without having Columbus retain and not sending as big a package to them.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I’m a little torn on Laine tbh hes a sexy name to bring in for the top 6 and has a good shot I didn’t realize he was 6’5 and don’t recall too many times he used that to his advantage. I would much rather leave the top 6 alone I think and totally rework the 3rd line I think. If they were able to dump both Smith and Rakell somehow Laine would be a nice fit.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Laine screams "losing player" to me.

But at this point, whatever. And maybe he can help PP1 with his righty shot.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Laine sucks at this point, they absolutely should not be spending any sort of assets bringing him in.

He’d be like Phil Kessel in his last season with the Pens but with less points.

Phil had 82 points in 82 games but I still consider him a negative that season. He was horrorawful defensively.

Reactions: Jacob

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens don't need another soft weak defender who hasn't played up to his ability for both injury and effort reasons. Big pass. Rust and Rakell can provide the level of scoring with bunting, DOC and a left wing they sign in FA,

Reactions: Jacob

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If Laine could be acquired cheaply then sure, whatever. I'm not terribly interested in spending premium picks or prospects to do anything at this point. That ship has sailed.

Our first round pick should be under lock and key at this point. We already almost had to make a decision on a lottery pick this year. Imagine if we were going into next year with our pick exposed? That'd be terrible.

So sure if we can get Laine for some middling prospects/picks then do it, but otherwise no thanks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He’d be like Phil Kessel in his last season with the Pens but with less points.

Phil had 82 points in 82 games but I still consider him a negative that season. He was horrorawful defensively.

Laine seems more akin to James Neal than Phil Kessel at this point.

Do we really want to make a 38 year old Malkin play with James Neal? I personally don't.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Laine for Rakell and a throw-in like Lucius or a 3rd is about what I'd offer, and if they wanted more, I'd shrug and hang up the phone. FWIW, I don't want Laine or think he'd sort his stuff out on this team, with this coach, but it's whatever. Getting out of four years of Rakell for two years of Laine seems fine.

Dunno why he'd want his "fresh start" to come with a team in this position, or why Columbus would risk the egg on their face by trading him to a team in-division though. So it's probably not even worth talking about.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Can anyone name more than 1 thing Laine does well?

He gets on base

1718574611441.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad