Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I like St. Ivany but not enough for him to be a staple on the 3rd pairing yet. Even as a #7 he’ll see plenty of games. But I don’t want to sign someone to a long-term deal to play on the bottom pairing because that seems to never work out (Hunwick, Johnson). So either an older guy or someone coming back from an injury and looking for a prove-it deal like maybe Klingberg. Probably would be relatively cheap coming off hip surgery, certainly less than the $4m he got last year, and he can help the transition and maybe the PP as well. He’s mobile and good with the puck so he’ll work whether the LD is Joseph or Graves. And if we’re out of the playoffs he can be flipped for a pick at the deadline.

Reactions: Kruzer31

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I like St. Ivany but not enough for him to be a staple on the 3rd pairing yet. Even as a #7 he’ll see plenty of games. But I don’t want to sign someone to a long-term deal to play on the bottom pairing because that seems to never work out (Hunwick, Johnson). So either an older guy or someone coming back from an injury and looking for a prove-it deal like maybe Klingberg. Probably would be relatively cheap coming off hip surgery, certainly less than the $4m he got last year, and he can help the transition and maybe the PP as well. He’s mobile and good with the puck so he’ll work whether the LD is Joseph or Graves. And if we’re out of the playoffs he can be flipped for a pick at the deadline.

Nah. You give St Ivany the # 6 role. He earned it.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
You let St. Ivany run with it for a few months and if you're in a position where you need to upgrade, that's easily done in season.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I trust St Ivany at this point more than Kris Letang…who knows what’s going on with his injuries…we should pick up another RD in any event…

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I want Ehlers but Sullivan will totally shit on him lol

I'd bet that Marner on this team, under Sullivan, is a sub-60 point player.

Think most folks who aren't media talking heads or Facebook casuals know at this point there's utterly nothing we can do this Summer that'll improve the team with him at the helm.

We said the SAME thing last year and thought the addition of Karlsson might just outweigh the pain of watching the Pittsburgh Sullivans....we were wrong. It was max pain.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Completely forgot the draft lottery is tonight. If the Pens somehow jump to No. 4, it really would change the complexion of the off-season a bit.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens probably will move this years pick to SJ. But if they can get into top 10, RD has to be the priority. Please no more 5'-10" 170 pound left wings. Yakimchuk is my hope here if they do end up top 10. ST Ivany has to be the 3rd pairing D man. Pens need to play younger D men and especially begin the rebuild of the RD as I do think Karlsson will be traded after this season.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Klingberg turns 32 in August. If you're not willing to get younger on your bottom pairing, where are you willing to do so?

Getting younger is always going to be a risk. That's precisely why every head coach avoids playing younger players, when they feel they have a choice. If you want to get younger, you have to be willing to take that risk. St. Ivany has at least shown that he deserves to have that risk taken at this point.

Rather than signing some veteran to displace him from the lineup, I'd rather stack up some promising defensemen that can be rotated in to the bottom pairing to see who can hack it, and who cannot. Worst-case scenario is no worse than bringing in another veteran who doesn't pan out, but without the downside of the coach insisting they be kept in the lineup due to their "veteran presence".

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Klingberg turns 32 in August. If you're not willing to get younger on your bottom pairing, where are you willing to do so?

Getting younger is always going to be a risk. That's precisely why every head coach avoids playing younger players, when they feel they have a choice. If you want to get younger, you have to be willing to take that risk. St. Ivany has at least shown that he deserves to have that risk taken at this point.

Rather than signing some veteran to displace him from the lineup, I'd rather stack up some promising defensemen that can be rotated in to the bottom pairing to see who can hack it, and who cannot. Worst-case scenario is no worse than bringing in another veteran who doesn't pan out, but without the downside of the coach insisting they be kept in the lineup due to their "veteran presence".
I don’t really think St. Ivany even has much upside to even be worth the trouble in the first place. Unlike Poulin or Ponomarev. I think his maximum upside is a steady #7. He’s already 25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad