Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Dubois doesn't have the benefit of being stapled to the greatest player of his generation.

Yawn. Get Dubois or don't. I don't know enough about him either way. But throwing strays at arguably our 2nd best player to make your point is unneeded.

Could say your same BS about Jake Guentzel BTW.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If this team is actually serious about trying to rebuild on the fly, taking flyers on players who had an off year but have more potential is about the only way we have out given how long draft picks take to pan out.

Just Bad News Bears this shit and hope it actually works for once instead of filling out the roster with Accairis or McGinns or Smiths.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yawn. Get Dubois or don't. I don't know enough about him either way. But throwing strays at arguably our 2nd best player to make your point is unneeded.

Could say your same BS about Jake Guentzel BTW.
...except Guentzel cracked 70 points 3 times, was much, much better in the playoffs, and is still on the right side of 30.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
If this team is actually serious about trying to rebuild on the fly, taking flyers on players who had an off year but have more potential is about the only way we have out given how long draft picks take to pan out.

Just Bad News Bears this shit and hope it actually works for once instead of filling out the roster with Accairis or McGinns or Smiths.
Whether they're serious or not, no GM is making a contender out of this team with a re-tool. The asset pool is too shallow.
But I suppose buying low on a few guys and hoping to trade them down the line for futures wouldn't hurt.

Would be smart to use DOC and Puustinen next year in the top-six and PP1, get them some healthy point totals and then trade them while their AAVs still look to be a bargain to suitors.

If this leads to losses, that's totally okay. The team was just gonna miss the playoffs or lose in R1 anyway. Net gains.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Now that they've fired Reirden and will try a different approach on the Powerplay, I have a shred of optimism. I would not invest any more assets into next year's team, but I would try to shuffle things around and not blow it up. Get PLD. Replace Jarry. Swap either Smith or Rakell for a different guy. Maybe we could get an impact forward prospect for Petts, who knows?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I guess you either have no idea what I was saying, or you do and are deliberately misrepresenting it.
I know you feel the need to put down Rust for your latest crush on a temperamental, production-only skill weirdo forward. And you put way too much emphasis on 82 games.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Keefe and Marner for Sully, Jarry and Graves

Lets go!
It's funny how my perspective has changed over the past few years. Before it was like I dunno if I want playoff chokers on this team and now I'm like f*** it if Marner is gonna choke in the playoffs I still don't care because if he comes here and actually gets us back into the playoffs that would be enough for me.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It's funny how my perspective has changed over the past few years. Before it was like I dunno if I want playoff chokers on this team and now I'm like f*** it if Marner is gonna choke in the playoffs I still don't care because if he comes here and actually gets us back into the playoffs that would be enough for me.
Yeah could care less, if he can get us to the playoffs who knows he may do good with Crosby or Malkin. We also wanted someone like him that can take some of the weight off Crosby/Malkin.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I find it hard to believe the Kings paying what they did for Dubois would just sell him off after a single season for pennies on the dollar. The dude would have to have a major, major character flaw for a team to want him gone after one season after what they spent to get him.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I find it hard to believe the Kings paying what they did for Dubois would just sell him off after a single season for pennies on the dollar. The dude would have to have a major, major character flaw for a team to want him gone after one season after what they spent to get him.

They hardly paid anything for PLD.

The reason they’d move him is to get out of the contract while they can. If they don’t do it soon the. They are screwed in terms of trade protection.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I know you feel the need to put down Rust for your latest crush on a temperamental, production-only skill weirdo forward. And you put way too much emphasis on 82 games.
I'm not putting down Rust. I'm saying that even our best winger is not without warts, they're just a different kind. Rust's is that he's often injured, and in the only year he wasn't he himself had a down season. It happens.

For a young player who has motivation issues and hasn't always had the best supporting cast, Dubois has managed to produce very well. And he's not production-only either - he's been an inconsistent power forward, which is so common for young ones that its basically a stereotype.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean if PLD shapes up into that power forward then it’s a great signing and he’d probably want to waive his trade protection once we suck again anyway. If he doesn’t, it’s not like we’re any worse off than before.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
This is just the first page of a quite lengthy thread.
Its time for his own thread. Is he playing injured? He may be the worst player on the team on a nightly basis.
Moverare came in and has made more of an impact.
The contract isnt going to play out well. Maybe trade him while they can for another recent acquisition that hasnt panned out like Meier or Huberdeau…
Losing Faber and Vilardi for Fiala and Dubois is a real loss for the Kings.

PLD was the product of Connor and Scheifele. This contract looks horrific already. I'm one who always preaches patience but man my patience is really getting tested. He's just not doing anything at all most nights. Even Laferriere looks better almost every game. :facepalm:

As someone who initially recoiled at the idea of trading for Dubois but then came around to the idea based on having strong center depth, the thought of watching Dubois for seven-and-a-half more years is utterly depressing. His lack of effort is insulting to anyone taking time to watch the games and support the team.

It'd be nice if our local media members would ask Todd or Rob how they feel about Dubois' complete lack of engagement, though I won't hold my breath.

Reactions: Andy99

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
They hardly paid anything for PLD.

The reason they’d move him is to get out of the contract while they can. If they don’t do it soon the. They are screwed in terms of trade protection.
We can disagree on the trade return. Still right after landing with the King, they signed Dubois to an eight-year contract with an $8.5 million cap hit that seemed to lock him in as an important player, top-six centre and, one day, Anze Kopitar's likely replacement as "the guy" up front for the Kings. Now they just want to cut bait for whatever after a single year? It's not a flattering picture of Mr. Dubois at all.

Too close to the end of this era to bring a sad sack Dubois into this team. He'll be a cancer in the room to the younger guys that will be here in the coming years and the music is going to stop soon on his musical chair career and with that contract term he's going to be a problem to get rid of. If he's not happy in LA, he's sure as **** he's not going to be happy in Pittsburgh staring down a rebuild in no time short.

Last edited:

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
This is just the first page of a quite lengthy thread.
He was bad. The media and fans painting him as a locker room cancer and bad guy I dont think is truly accurate though.
I think he is a very nice guy that just flat out doesnt like playing hockey.
I can count on one hand the times he got into a hockey position to bear down and make a play the whole season.
Otherwise he just stands upright and floats until he can come off the ice. He wont even dig for the puck on the wall.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
He was bad. The media and fans painting him as a locker room cancer and bad guy I dont think is truly accurate though.
I think he is a very nice guy that just flat out doesnt like playing hockey.
I can count on one hand the times he got into a hockey position to bear down and make a play the whole season.
Otherwise he just stands upright and floats until he can come off the ice. He wont even dig for the puck on the wall.
Yeah, by all indications he's well-liked by the players. It just seems like he's not that passionate about hockey; it's simply a job for him (and who hasn't done the bare minimum at a job before?).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad