Rumor: Penguins targeting Garland in talks with Vancouver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I apologize to Canucks and Penguins fans for making another Penguins-Canucks thread, but I just saw this from last night. The Penguins are mostly targeting guys with term and the discussions with Vancouver have mostly been around Garland, not Boeser or Miller.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Current regime did not acquire him. So, very possible he could be moved. Just a matter of the two sides find a deal that makes sense.

Yeah, this is exactly why I could see him being moved. Benning paid a massive price for him and gave him a sizable (but fair) contract extension. Then Benning got fired and the new regime took over.

JR and Alvin are looking to make changes to the Canucks and clear out some money that Benning left them with. Garland's a great player and is having a very strong season analytically, but I don't think he has quite lived up to what Benning paid for him. I also think Garland's the only "expensive player with term" that actually has any sort of value on the Canucks that Vancouver would even begin to consider trading.

It's a bit similar to the situation with Myers, in that it's a big contract that JR/Alvin inherited but didn't consent in. With Garland, it is a fair contract for a good player, so they don't need to move it like they need to with Myers. But you certainly understand the logic for why they could look into doing it. Trading Garland right now would be just like when JR traded James Neal in his first move with the Penguins, when Neal was basically a PPG winger and only 2 years into a 6 year, $5 million AAV contract.

Garland would cost more than Boeser (at least from the fans' POV).

Locked into a good contract, as well, versus Boeser and his high QO.

I imagine that this would only happen if Boeser can Vancouver can come together on a reasonable long term deal. I don't think Vancouver would trade Garland without having the Boeser situation at least somewhat progressing towards an extension.

Last edited:
Reactions: Intoewsables

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Bullseye... right in the center.

Though Garland would be "okay" I'm just not as enamored with him as Boeser.
Boeser checks all the boxes save blazing speed, but not particularly slow either.

Garland checks some of the boxes save size, but he's used rarely on the PP and good 5on 5.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Brock Boeser and Schenn for Marino, Kapanen and two 2nds

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Bullseye... right in the center.

Though Garland would be "okay" I'm just not as enamored with him as Boeser.
Boeser checks all the boxes save blazing speed, but not particularly slow either.

Garland checks some of the boxes save size, but he's used rarely on the PP and good 5on 5.
He wouldn't be used on the PP here either. It's a positive that he can be productive ES, that's what the Pens are lacking. I'd take him over Boeser when you consider their contract status.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My offer would be Pettersson (retaining up to $1M if necessary) + Kapanen + 1st round pick

I think POJ makes more sense for Vancouver than Pettersson. Pettersson is expensive and has only played LD, while POJ is cheap and JR has claimed POJ can play RD.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I get that Allvin & Rutherford are doing their due diligence, that everyone is available for the right price, etc etc...

But I don't really get it. All the harping about getting faster and more consistent, and you maybe move this guy? Based on my viewings, I realize he's more quick and "slippery" than blazingly fast, but he's definitely not slow either. He brings it most nights and is great at drawing penalties. His cap hit is pretty fair for what he provides (with the potential to be quite good if he takes another step). Not a guy I'd be looking to move if I were them

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
So the Canucks are 3pts out of the playoffs and they will sell all their top guys, right? True warriors

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We can't afford Pettersson cap wise. Already have enough money invested in LD.

That's why I posted above that Joseph makes way more sense.

Kapanen, ZAR (for cap reasons), Joseph and another futures asset (not a 1st but probably not something insignificant) for Garland makes sense to me. Kapanen and ZAR out for Garland in is effectively an even salary swap ($4.925 million for Kapanen and ZAR, $4.95 million for Garland).

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Marino for Garland is probably fair-ish. They're on similar contracts - Marino makes about half a mil less against the cap, but is signed for a year longer. They're both guys in their mid 20's with a lot of upside. The only caveat I'd have with this trade is the Pens would immediately need to trade someone else for a defenseman to replace Marino.

Kapanen+futures for Garland is also an appealing idea, although the Pens don't have many futures to spare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad