Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: End of an era?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Tampa is six wins away from a cup with Paul as a 2C for half of their playoff run

You can't be serious with this? Right?

The reason Tampa is where they are is because Palat, Stamkos and Kucherov are going off once again. And Cirelli is being used as the 2C, and the his usage shows this.

Reactions: Pens x

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The Pens and Tampa are clearly very similar. Practically the same team. I can’t for the life of me figure out why they’re on a 10 playoff series winning streak and we are on a 4 year playoff series winless streak.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You can't be serious with this? Right?

The reason Tampa is where they are is because Palat, Stamkos and Kucherov are going off once again. And Cirelli is being used as the 2C, and the his usage shows this.

Cirelli is largely a defensive guy too. His production is solid, but it isn’t incredible.

The roster with Paul had Gaudreau and Rakell didn’t it?

My point is more so that you can get away with lesser talent than Malkin at 2C if you have the defensive make up and an elite winger on L2.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think you underestimate just how frequent that formula is for successful teams around the league.

The key will be for Jeff Carter to not be playing a predominant role in anything but the checking line. Z-Carter-McGinn should be the 4th line.

The PP's issue are much more based on the egos of star players rather than the talent on the ice. I think that will only change once they are gone.
You and I are shockingly aligned on this.

I'm not underestimating it at all.
My main hypothesis is that I know the following will not be a successful L2:
(Not a Star)-Malkin-(Not a Star)

We now have 4 years of evidence that we haven't been able to put together two good scoring lines at the same time. I think downgrading on Malkin's talent but divorcing ourselves from the delusion that L2 is a scoring line is probably net-net positive vs. the above scenario.

However my preferred scenarios are still to put Malkin with Sid and/or find some way to add a second star to Malkin's L2.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
John Marino is number 12

The comment from there:

The Penguins received a few calls on Marino ahead of last season’s deadline, but remained focused and committed on their playoff push. The truth is Marino is not Pittsburgh’s preferred choice to move on their backend. That would be Marcus Pettersson. But no team seems willing to take on Pettersson’s three more years at just over $4 million, while there are teams interested in Marino, and the Penguins have a real need to move money if they’re going to run it back with Letang, Evgeni Malkin and Bryan Rust next season.

If no team is willing to take on Pettersson's deal, that means you move Dumoulin, not Marino. I guess if Matheson can move to RD, you could run with Pettersson-Matheson as the 2nd pair maybe? I do think Pettersson complements Matheson's game well, but I don't want to see if he can play RD.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There was also this comment about Petry right above Marino:

Scoop: Last season was a write-off for both Petry and the Montreal Canadiens. Both the player and team struggled, and the Habs acknowledged they would try to facilitate a trade to help Petry, whose family was back living in the U.S. That’s tough for any player. At the same time, the Canadiens know Petry didn’t suddenly forget how to play hockey, the pandemic restrictions have lifted now, and they aren’t willing to pay assets to move a player that is surely better than last season indicated. He’d be a solid backup plan in Pittsburgh if the Penguins aren’t able to re-sign Kris Letang.

I would rather let Letang walk, trade for Petry and keep Marino than re-sign Letang and have to trade Marino for cap reasons, and I've been pretty adamant about how important I think it is to re-sign Letang.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Pens and Tampa are clearly very similar. Practically the same team. I can’t for the life of me figure out why they’re on a 10 playoff series winning streak and we are on a 4 year playoff series winless streak.

one word: goaltending…also their D is better overall

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
No idea why Marino would be the first name associated with a Pens trade target….I can’t believe this FO would not consider moving Dumo well before him…

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
There was also this comment about Petry right above Marino:

I would rather let Letang walk, trade for Petry and keep Marino than re-sign Letang and have to trade Marino for cap reasons, and I've been pretty adamant about how important I think it is to re-sign Letang.

I’m at the point where I’d rather move on from Letang (if he wants anything beyond 7x3) and target a player like Petry.

It’s sucks, but paying a premium to a 35 year old because of a career offensive season seems really dumb. Especially given the defensive analytics Letang has put up the past two seasons.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’m at the point where I’d rather move on from Letang (if he wants anything beyond 7x3) and target a player like Petry.

It’s sucks, but paying a premium 35 year old because of a career offensive season seems really dumb.

I mean Petry himself is 34 and makes $6.25 million a year for 3 years.

I would much rather keep Letang if the money is reasonably close, especially considering you'd have to spend assets to trade for Petry. But if signing Letang somehow puts you in a cap bind where you'd have to trade Marino, I'd rather have Petry and Marino than Letang and either Ruhwedel or playing Pettersson or Matheson on RD.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I mean Petry himself is 34 and makes $6.25 million a year for 3 years.

I would much rather keep Letang if the money is reasonably close, especially considering you'd have to spend assets to trade for Petry. But if signing Letang somehow puts you in a cap bind where you'd have to trade Marino, I'd rather have Petry and Marino than Letang and either Ruhwedel or playing Pettersson or Matheson on RD.

I don’t think Petry is going to cost much. He wants out and Montreal wants to move him.

If Letang wants 8 x 5, we save term and money by acquiring Petry. I would also entertain Burns at 8x3 instead of Letang at 8x5.

I want size on our top pairing. Even if they are not overly physical D, adding Petry or Burns size gives us a totally different factor on the back end even if it may be a downgrade in terms of actual play.

Matheson - Petry / Burns
Hague - Marino
Pettersson - Lyubushkin

Is my dream

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't know which I like less-- boiling hot dogs and NOT grilling them, or Nick Paul as 2C.

Give me Malkin and I will eat raw hot dogs ffs.

It’s sucks, but paying a premium to a 35 year old because of a career offensive season seems really dumb. Especially given the defensive analytics Letang has put up the past two seasons.
If we move on from Letang, I sincerely hope it is not to replace him with someone just as old or older.

We need to think younger. RFAs, young players about to bust out, young veterans, etc.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Give me Malkin and I will eat raw hot dogs ffs.

If we move on from Letang, I sincerely hope it is not to replace him with someone just as old or older.

We need to think younger. RFAs, young players about to bust out, young veterans, etc.

We don’t have the assets to acquire a younger RD and the only one on the market is Klingberg who is more of the same and if you are going to sign him might as well give Letang his ask.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
If we sign Letang to a 7+ x 5 year contract we will have a lot of fans saying “see he does suck”

Also Petry rocks.

So what? We already have a lot of fans saying that.

You replace Letang with Petry and this team is worse.

Cap savings are minimal and Petry is signed till he’s like 37 anyways.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
So what? We already have a lot of fans saying that.

You replace Letang with Petry and this team is worse.

Cap savings are minimal and Petry is signed till he’s like 37 anyways.

I’ve prefaced this with Letang wanting 8+ so that gives us 1.75 in savings and term.

People said the same thing about Matheson.

Petry strikes me as the type of D that could flourish here and he has been fantastic for the Canadiens.

Would love to add some size up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad