Proposal: Penguins rebuilt

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Like I said in the other thread, I have no clue why Penguins fans want to expedite the process to become bad.

Go ask the Sabres or Wings how the last 5 or so years have been while being bad. You're very likely not getting another Crosby, Malkin and Letang anytime soon, if ever again.

They wouldn’t have had a lottery if it wasn’t for the original tank….

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Can someone explain to me why some Pens fans still believe Riikola has any value? He’s cleared waivers twice in the past few months.

TDL depth PMD. Someone needing to bolster their depth for the playoffs may. Worse have got a 3rd or 4th.

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
Malkin @ 50% to Anaheim for Max Jones + 1st
Letang @ 50% to Carlina for Nino Niederreiter + 1st
Next year, Crosby to Colorado for Newhook + Maltsev + 1st
Rust @ 50% to Toronto for Holl/Dermott + 1st
Dumoulin to Edmonton for Yamamota + 2nd
Riikola to someone for a 3rd
CDS to someone for a 3rd
We don’t want malkin

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Like I said in the other thread, I have no clue why Penguins fans want to expedite the process to become bad.

Go ask the Sabres or Wings how the last 5 or so years have been while being bad. You're very likely not getting another Crosby, Malkin and Letang anytime soon, if ever again.
Well that may be true , but other teams have proven they can win without crosby letang and malkin. Its clear this core is done.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

I would much rather of gotten a head start while trading players that still had value.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If they are clearly not making the playoffs by mid-January then it would make sense to get something for Malkin and Letang and if they want to be back, they can re-sign in the summer.

The same could be said for Rust but it would make more sense to just get him signed.

This times 100.

I'm a Pens fan, but you hit the nail on the head. ALL three players are UFA's after this season. If they haven't re-signed as the deadline approaches, then yeah I think the prudent thing would be for Hextall to make all 3 players available with 50% retention.

This is a DIFFERENT question than a rebuild sell off of anyone over a certain age. This is about getting value for assets you anticipate losing for nothing after the season.

What is Letang at 3.6125M prorated get you near the deadline? Can think of a few teams for whom he'd be a massive 2nd pairing upgrade. Gotta think there would be a bidding war.

What is Rust at 1.75M prorated worth?

Malkin is a lot more complicated. Even if you retain 50%, that's 4.75M per. Even prorated, that's costing a team over a million dollars in banked cap space at the deadline. Not a lot of teams have that kind of money. How many have the need (compared to other potential areas of need)? Coming off a knee injury? And oh by the way, Malkin has to be willing to go. Add it all up-- cap space, need, and willingness-- and the only good match I see is the Rangers. Not sure how enamored Bruins fans are with Coyle as 2C, but I suppose MAYBE Malkin might waive to play in Boston? Only other team that fits as a pure dark horse would be Minnesota perhaps (Guerin connection, but I'm not sure if there's a hole between Kaprizov and Zuccarello, Malkin's old Magnitogorsk linemate during the lockout and if Malkin is the guy who fills it). I know some in the past have mentioned the Panthers, but I don't think they have the space, and I'd think they'd look to upgrade the D before what's a pretty deep group of forwards).

EDIT: Personally, I'd be more surprised than not if Malkin is moved regardless. The options and opportunity just aren't there. BUT, Letang and Rust at 50%. I could see it as more likely than not if the Pens are on the outside looking in come January (and even possible if they're IN come January).

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Malkin @ 50% to Anaheim for Max Jones + 1st
Letang @ 50% to Carlina for Nino Niederreiter + 1st
Next year, Crosby to Colorado for Newhook + Maltsev + 1st
Rust @ 50% to Toronto for Holl/Dermott + 1st
Dumoulin to Edmonton for Yamamota + 2nd
Riikola to someone for a 3rd
CDS to someone for a 3rd
You habe most of the penguin players vastly over rated . No one is giving a 3rd for.rikola or CDS. Malkin will fetch a first only at deadline time after he proves he can still play. Crosby isn't going anywhere..yet.....Letang probably has the highest value besides sid, rust makes a good addition to Edmonton or Toronto. Dumoulin value isn't what it was 2 years ago obviously.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Can someone explain to me why some Pens fans still believe Riikola has any value? He’s cleared waivers twice in the past few months.
Well its a Sullivan thing. Some think if he was away from Sullivan he would be given more opportunity. His time in Pitt is done

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Of course nor would the ducks be interested. Now Florida may be a different animal

Florida doesn't have the cap space, and frankly I think they'd look to upgrade their D before what already is a pretty deep group of forwards.

I looked at all the playoff teams (or likely playoff teams).

Who has the cap space to take Malkin at 50%? Who has the hole that might be a primary thing that needs addressed? And, where could I conceivably see Malkin being willing to waive.

Rangers, maybe the Bruins, outside chance for the Wild (and this is my looking at the teams as an outsider speculating about a fit on all fronts).

Nothing else fits to my mind before the deadline (this summer, I suppose, is another matter).

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Then your team would have started sucking sooner and would likely still be bad, because selling off assets like that almost never yields franchise altering players.
You have nothing to base your claim they would likely still be bad on it's just as likely they would be better. But what we do know is we watched them toil needlessly in mediocrity for about 5 years before doing something.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Florida doesn't have the cap space, and frankly I think they'd look to upgrade their D before what already is a pretty deep group of forwards.

I looked at all the playoff teams (or likely playoff teams).

Who has the cap space to take Malkin at 50%? Who has the hole that might be a primary thing that needs addressed? And, where could I conceivably see Malkin being willing to waive.

Rangers, maybe the Bruins, outside chance for the Wild (and this is my looking at the teams as an outsider speculating about a fit on all fronts).

Nothing else fits to my mind before the deadline (this summer, I suppose, is another matter).
Florida was one of the places malkin would waive too. They would ship salary out if it meant malkin was coming. One thing we learned if a team wants a player bad enough they make the cap work st the expense of the other positions. I agree the D would be choice # 1 to upgrade but landing malkin is rare. Also you can bet the cats are going to make a big splash before the deadline

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Teams that are Playoff bound and would like to upgrade their d-corp would need to clear cap space. Needing to make a trade to do it, grabbing a guy on waivers without the clear out trade being done wouldn't work cap wise.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Then your team would have started sucking sooner and would likely still be bad, because selling off assets like that almost never yields franchise altering players.

Ignore the 'rebuild' red herring. Guentzel, Dumoulin, and others under contract after this year . . . leave them out of it.

Malkin, Letang, and Rust are all UFA's after the season.

If they're not extending by the deadline, I don't think it's unreasonable to say 'move any or all of them at 50% retained'.

That's not a question of rebuilding. It's a question of asset management for Crosby's last few years, no?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You have nothing to base your claim they would likely still be bad on it's just as likely they would be better. But what we do know is we watched them toil needlessly in mediocrity for about 5 years before doing something.

Yes I do, it's the fact that a huge majority of draft picks and prospects bust. It is incredibly more likely those picks and prospects acquired either ended up busting or nothing special players than for those picks and prospects to be franchise altering talents.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Florida was one of the places malkin would waive too. They would ship salary out if it meant malkin was coming. One thing we learned if a team wants a player bad enough they make the cap work st the expense of the other positions. I agree the D would be choice # 1 to upgrade but landing malkin is rare. Also you can bet the cats are going to make a big splash before the deadline

Agree that the Cats will make a splash. Just saying that if I'm the Cats and I somehow can clear up the cap space and I'm shopping in Pittsburgh, I'm looking at Letang, not Malkin.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yes I do, it's the fact that a huge majority of draft picks and prospects bust. It is incredibly more likely those picks and prospects acquired either ended up busting or nothing special players than for those picks and prospects to be franchise altering talents.
Christ I'm not talking about basing an entire rebuild on those picks, I'm talking about getting started sooner means you're likely to get done sooner. Those picks are extra chances at hitting something big.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ignore the 'rebuild' red herring. Guentzel, Dumoulin, and others under contract after this year . . . leave them out of it.

Malkin, Letang, and Rust are all UFA's after the season.

If they're not extending by the deadline, I don't think it's unreasonable to say 'move any or all of them at 50% retained'.

That's not a question of rebuilding. It's a question of asset management for Crosby's last few years, no?

I'm not sure why you're trying to rephrase OP's point as that when the OP is saying sell everyone over 25. There's a massive difference between selling off logical assets and nuking the team.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Wings fans were begging for a rebuild. Got tired of Holland trying to "re-tool" only to prolong the rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad