Confirmed with Link: Penguins Agree To Terms With Matt Cullen (1 year | $800k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This post made me realize, for whatever reason, that playing Kunitz in the top six this year is probably our best option. He isn't enough of an anchor that he will keep this team from winning and come the deadline his points will be inflated and we can hopefully move him to a desperate team for a top 4 defenseman. If he is in the bottom six, points won't be inflated and we lose the leverage that he "still has some left in the tank"

The problem with that line of thinking is that contenders, and especially the Penguins, rarely trade top 6 wingers at the deadline. If Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel clicks (if that's the combo), they aren't moving Kunitz for a D. I'd rather try to move Kunitz early on in the season OR use him as bottom 6 scoring depth where he likely belongs now.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I thought i saw a couple early on but could easily have it confused with the Trade board?

I'm not sure. I may literally not be able to see the posts, but I haven't seen any recently.

I think the only problem with this signing, if there is any, is that his age prevents him from being demoted (and saving money) if he's not playing well, right? I think that's the rule? So he's basically guaranteed to be the Pens' 12th/13th all year.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I think the only problem with this signing, if there is any, is that his age prevents him from being demoted (and saving money) if he's not playing well, right? I think that's the rule? So he's basically guaranteed to be the Pens' 12th/13th all year.

Well it's certainly a one-way contract so if he doesn't get claimed off waivers and is sent down, he still counts his full 800k against the cap. Depending on our salary cap situation, that may or may not cause a problem.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm not sure. I may literally not be able to see the posts, but I haven't seen any recently.

Better him than Adams.:laugh:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I'm pretty sure that 35+ contracts only come into effect when it's for multiple years, the problem is how the Pens view vets. That's one of the many reason why giving Adams 2 years was especially stupid.

Maybe people thought that I was complaining, idk. I wasn't really, everyone would know if I was. I think this is a move that could end up being a minor regret if Cullen's age gets him this year (at this point you're waiting for it) or if a young guy getting the experience wouldn't have benefited them more, particularly if he can't finish the season strong. It's not a bad move unless it goes wrong and his age is a red flag in that regard.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Well it's certainly a one-way contract so if he doesn't get claimed off waivers and is sent down, he still counts his full 800k against the cap. Depending on our salary cap situation, that may or may not cause a problem.

I thought you could still hide 900k of a one-way contract in the minors? Except for 35+?

I'm pretty sure that 35+ contracts only come into effect when it's for multiple years, the problem is how the Pens view vets. That's one of the many reason why giving Adams 2 years was especially stupid.

Is that how it works? I have no clue.

Better him than Adams.:laugh:

For sure. I'm not disparaging the move at all. I was reaching to find the only possible negative.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I didn't think 35+ mattered in terms of sending someone to the AHL and getting that 950k cap relief. But I'm a ****ing idiot.

Either way he's not going to play so poorly that they won't even keep him around as the 13th forward.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I thought you could still hide 900k of a one-way contract in the minors? Except for 35+?

Is that how it works? I have no clue.

For sure. I'm not disparaging the move at all. I was reaching to find the only possible negative.

I think you can still hid 750k - 950K (not sure on exact number) in the ahl. Even on 35+

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Everything points to Matt not regressing much in his older age and he says he feels great. For a utility/do everything guy, he's not a bad pick up at all. (FO's/PK/Speedy)

I also like signing him now instead of trading for him at the deadline for a pick/player.

I just worry that with a few injuries and all of Scuds, Kunitz, Dupuis, Cullen playing, 3 of the 4 will drag down the roster. Here's to hoping Kunitz and Dupuis can play like they're 25 again.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think that IC just reported that Sid was going to be made a Co-owner and then will trade himself.

I am almost positive that is the story.

Ultimate heel turn: Sid becomes co-owner, then announces he's traded himself to Philly as Giroux comes out to stand with him on the podium.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Yea blah good lord:banghead::rant:

Aside from Kessel, which moves in particular are you creaming over?

I hated Suter, and I'm glad he's gone. But Bonino is a minimal upgrade at best.

Plotnikov has never played an NHL game, and everyone's penciling him in the top 6, and providing the physicality this team possesses zero of.

Fehr is a good player, but surprise surprise, he's already injured.

Clendending and Erixison won't even be on the roster.

Cullen is a 38 year old softie. But hey, he's a good locker room guy!

We still have Kunitz, Dupuis, Scuderi, and Lovejoy.

I'm not saying this offseason has sucked, but sorry, I'm not ready to give JR the GM of the Century award.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Aside from Kessel, which moves in particular are you creaming over?

I hated Suter, and I'm glad he's gone. But Bonino is a minimal upgrade at best.

Plotnikov has never played an NHL game, and everyone's penciling him in the top 6, and providing the physicality this team possesses zero of.

Fehr is a good player, but surprise surprise, he's already injured.

Clendending and Erixison won't even be on the roster.

Cullen is a 38 year old softie. But hey, he's a good locker room guy!

We still have Kunitz, Dupuis, Scuderi, and Lovejoy.

I'm not saying this offseason has sucked, but sorry, I'm not ready to give JR the GM of the Century award.

Bonino's a significantly cheaper upgrade signed for an extra year, and the Pens not only upgraded from a 3rd to a 2nd, they got an extra prospect in the deal.

Plotnikov is a top 6 option, and exactly the kind we should be signing (big, young, physical, skilled). But we're not counting on him because we acquired other options.

Fehr's a great price for what he brings (not coincidentally things we need like size, faceoffs, versatility, and two-way play), and with the depth we acquired we can afford to wait out his injury. Cullen, again, is a great price for what he brings (faceoffs, production, PK ability).

I disliked JR's body of work coming into this off-season as much as anyone, but he's had a helluva summer. It seems you've got blinders on to any upgrade but physicality if you can't recognize that.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Bonino's a significantly cheaper upgrade signed for an extra year, and the Pens not only upgraded from a 3rd to a 2nd, they got an extra prospect in the deal.

Plotnikov is a top 6 option, and exactly the kind we should be signing (big, young, physical, skilled). But we're not counting on him because we acquired other options.

Fehr's a great price for what he brings (not coincidentally things we need like size, faceoffs, versatility, and two-way play), and with the depth we acquired we can afford to wait out his injury. Cullen, again, is a great price for what he brings (faceoffs, production, PK ability).

I disliked JR's body of work coming into this off-season as much as anyone, but he's had a helluva summer. It seems you've got blinders on to any upgrade but physicality if you can't recognize that.

Yes, this team is approaching historical levels of softness. I'm sorry some absolutely refuse to see this as a problem. I do, and every time they sign a soft, pint-sized, old, etc guy to play in the bottom 6 I'm going to comment on it. Well first I'll laugh, then comment.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Yes, this team is approaching historical levels of softness. I'm sorry some absolutely refuse to see this as a problem. I do, and every time they sign a soft, pint-sized, old, etc guy to play in the bottom 6 I'm going to comment on it. Well first I'll laugh, then comment.

Looks this year could see us add Fehr, Plotnikov and OS to our bottom 6. That's a lot less soff than we've been, and without resorting to Tanner Glass levels of awful play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad