Confirmed with Link: Penguins Agree To Terms With Matt Cullen (1 year | $800k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FanaticalFan

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
Meh, iirc the ducks got a guy like that for Ben Lovejoy last year... I mean it cant be that hard to do, right?

With all Lovejoy experience, and he will have even more experienced this coming year. Imagine his trade value at the trade deadline. I suspect GMs just wont be able to contain themselves.

I wonder if the ducks have any defenceman that fit the penguins need.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Uh, the Kessel deal was pretty damn awesome. The rest? blah

Agreed. But apparently we are not allowed to have this opinion, no sarcasm here.

The Fehr signing and Sutter trade were pretty good. I mean that's pretty much unanimous.

The Fehr (and Cullen) signing was stupid (but CHEAP I know, I know), the Sutter trade was rearranging the deck chairs a bit for a cheaper price, I think Sutter will be missed honestly.

The league is getting younger, giving kids chances and they are making big differences on teams all around the league, signing an oft injured player and an old guy doesn't impress me at all.

Yes, this team is approaching historical levels of softness. I'm sorry some absolutely refuse to see this as a problem. I do, and every time they sign a soft, pint-sized, old, etc guy to play in the bottom 6 I'm going to comment on it. Well first I'll laugh, then comment.

Pretty much sums up my issue with the moves as well.

People can say you don't need the "truculence" factor but personally I believe you do. The team has absolutely zero feistiness in them, except on the rare occasion when Malkin goes off.

Now don't get me wrong this team will score goals, a ton of them, it will be interesting to see how it goes in the playoffs though.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We could use a Seabrook. Only guy like that who might become available is Phaneuf. And hes likely to cost too much and would need them to retain big time.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Agreed. But apparently we are not allowed to have this opinion, no sarcasm here.

The Fehr (and Cullen) signing was stupid (but CHEAP I know, I know), the Sutter trade was rearranging the deck chairs a bit for a cheaper price, I think Sutter will be missed honestly.

The league is getting younger, giving kids chances and they are making big differences on teams all around the league, signing an oft injured player and an old guy doesn't impress me at all.

Pretty much sums up my issue with the moves as well.

People can say you don't need the "truculence" factor but personally I believe you do. The team has absolutely zero feistiness in them, except on the rare occasion when Malkin goes off.

Now don't get me wrong this team will score goals, a ton of them, it will be interesting to see how it goes in the playoffs though.

Yeah people certainly don't like opinions different from theirs. That's why they threaten to put people on ignore lists. lol. But don't worry, other guys share our opinion too. Once the games start they'll be back. And who knows, maybe Mario and JR will revolutionize the entire sports industry. We may see pro football teams start signing 5'10", 190lb offensive lineman, MMA fighters who instead of training attend daily sensitivity classes, NBA centers that top out at 6 foot, etc.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Yeah people certainly don't like opinions different from theirs. That's why they threaten to put people on ignore lists. lol. But don't worry, other guys share our opinion too. Once the games start they'll be back. And who knows, maybe Mario and JR will revolutionize the entire sports industry. We may see pro football teams start signing 5'10", 190lb offensive lineman, MMA fighters who instead of training attend daily sensitivity classes, NBA centers that top out at 6 foot, etc.

Politicians being critical and at the same time offering alternative solutions comes to mind.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Yea it would be nice to see who they think we should've signed or how they could've GM'd a better off season.

And you can't scream "moved Scuderi and Kunitz!" Because that was tried and they both have NTC's.

Instead it's just a ***** fest with no alternatives given.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Yea it would be nice to see who they think we should've signed or how they could've GM'd a better off season.

And you can't scream "moved Scuderi and Kunitz!" Because that was tried and they both have NTC's.

i've never seen this happen, ever and terrapin at least has been making identical posts for several years

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't want them adding a physical dman at the deadline because the kind of physical dman you get at the deadline is Douglas Murray. I want a long-term, can play in all situations physical dman.

I got physically ill typing this.

you're not wrong, and I don't really want to add anyone. But I can see the team doing it anyway. There's nothing to add to the forward group unless we move someone else out first.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007

Well unlike some on here, I don't pretend to be a GM. But don't tell me it was completely impossible to add someone with a hint of physicality and toughness to this team. Management has obviously decided they want the complete opposite of that. We'll see how it works out. Maybe we score 10 goals a game and win the Cup. If so great. I have a strong feeling we'll be suffering through another season of injuries, cheap shots, guys reading War and Peace in front of Fleury, etc.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
Have to believe this opens up an opportunity to move Kunitz if he plays well to begin the year. My ideal scenario has him being moved at the deadline for a vet, #4D, but he would have to be playing solid hockey for 2/3 of the season.

For better or worse, our top 6 will be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Horny

FWIW, I like the signing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Have to believe this opens up an opportunity to move Kunitz if he plays well to begin the year. My ideal scenario has him being moved at the deadline for a vet, #4D, but he would have to be playing solid hockey for 2/3 of the season.

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Horny

My ideal scenario would be us not needing a #4D at the trade deadline :nod:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
People on here don't mind different opinions, they mind bad opinions. If anyone truly believes the Sutter trade and Fehr signing weren't good moves, their opinion is wrong. Their is no way to justify complaining about those moves.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yes, this team is approaching historical levels of softness. I'm sorry some absolutely refuse to see this as a problem. I do, and every time they sign a soft, pint-sized, old, etc guy to play in the bottom 6 I'm going to comment on it. Well first I'll laugh, then comment.

Yeah, so pretty much exactly what I said:

I disliked JR's body of work coming into this off-season as much as anyone, but he's had a helluva summer. It seems you've got blinders on to any upgrade but physicality if you can't recognize that.

We could use more physical play, as I've mentioned myself, but you're acting as though that's the only issue that mattered, which is beyond myopic.

We needed another high-end winger.
We needed better scoring depth.
We needed to start looking to Euro leagues for cheap options.
We needed to improve on faceoffs.
We needed more size.
We needed to move Sutter.

And we got them. But your narrow focus just has this flashing 24/7 in your mind's eye:

NO BRUISERS
OFF-SEASON FAIL

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Horny

My ideal situation is Kunitz for Boedker (think of the ticket sales in a Stanley Cup and Olympic gold winner, Coyotes. He played with Crosby. We should lend them Morehouse.) and Lovejoy for Despres. :laugh: :cry:

If Kunitz starts hot, and he probably will even if he's dragged there kicking and screaming, then I doubt he still would be at the TDL. If he does happen to be playing well by then he's going to stay. Hope JR moves him in the off season or in the first month or two of the season.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
My ideal scenario would be us not needing a #4D at the trade deadline :nod:

Well, that would be ideal.:laugh:

In all reality, I don't see the defense (as constructed) being able to withstand an entire season plus playoffs. It would be fantastic if a few of the young guns would step up and take the reigns, but I would be much more comfortable with a solid vet on the back end. Preferably, someone who isn't named Cody Franson.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

In all reality, I don't see the defense (as constructed) being able to withstand an entire season plus playoffs. It would be fantastic if a few of the young guns would step up and take the reigns, but I would be much more comfortable with a solid vet on the back end. Preferably, someone who isn't named Cody Franson.

I've watched enough solid vets come in and fail to help us in the playoffs to care about that at all.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I mean most of us want a solid top 4 vet but those guys aren't cheap in cap space or assets. We have to stick with what we have and look for that guy, Hamhuis, at the deadline if still needed.

Badman

Jul 10, 2004
Stavanger, Norway

There's rumors from Russia that one of Russia's best defensemen, Ilya Nikulin, is set on moving to North America. He's quality, and very experienced, but question marks over how he's going to adapt to North America and how much he would demand. Worth a shot?

Ilya Nikulin

Russian article

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
My thoughts are, if our guys are playing like they belong on the 2nd pairing at the deadline, is there any reason to still bring in a vet? I mean sure, for depth. More good players is better. But people make it sound like being a vet automatically makes a player more effective. A good player is a good player.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
There's rumors from Russia that one of Russia's best defensemen, Ilya Nikulin, is set on moving to North America. He's quality, and very experienced, but question marks over how he's going to adapt to North America and how much he would demand. Worth a shot?

Ilya Nikulin

Russian article

The main reason to add a D-man at this point is because we are uncomfortable with the number of question marks we have on D.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
I've watched enough solid vets come in and fail to help us in the playoffs to care about that at all.

It wouldn't be a guarantee, but it would be a better situation than what we have now. We all know injuries are going to hit, they do every year, going into the season with Cole as a 3/4 is a little unnerving.

I mean most of us want a solid top 4 vet but those guys aren't cheap in cap space or assets. We have to stick with what we have and look for that guy, Hamhuis, at the deadline if still needed.

Kunitz for Hamhuis:sarcasm:

I mean, weirder things have happened. Kunitz starts the year looking like he did 2 years ago, Vancouver quickly heads for the basement of the West and gets desperate.

A man can dream...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad