Value of: Pavelski to Avs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
In a different organization klingberg would have a lot better stats .
Why is that? He literally leads the Stars in PP time on ice per game. He also leads the Stars blue line in offensive zone starts per game 5v5. He’s given highly favorable offensive minutes in Dallas. If he went to a team with other better defenseman he’d lose a lot of those opportunities.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Who’s been the best prospect added to a 1st rounder for a rental in recent memory? Perhaps I’m mistaking but I feel the 1st rounder is usually the biggest piece in these deadline rental deals. Only one that comes to mind is Brannstrom for Stone but that wasn’t in addition to a 1st. Plus Stone came with an extension agreed on which pretty much negates the rental part too.
I’m not sure and Maybe I’m being biased as a stars fan but after watching pavelski with the stars during there run to the finals . I think he has huge value .

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Since the start of 2018-19, Klingberg is 20th in total points among D, and 17th in PPG among D (100 games minimum). He's definitely a good offensive 2nd pairing D (store brand Tyson Barrie?), but I'm not sure how you call him one of the top 5 offensively talented defensemen in the league.

Context plays a role into this as well, Dallas has been struggling for offense the last couple of years. I'd happily welcome him on the Avs, I've mentioned it before, but the Avs are really dependent on the D being able to move the puck up the ice and support the play offensively. While I do think we need an addition or two up front, we may actually see more of an impact by adding another puck moving defensemen.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m not sure and Maybe I’m being biased as a stars fan but after watching pavelski with the stars during there run to the finals . I think he has huge value .
I think he does too. He’s a stud. But rentals only get so much. He’s not going to all of a sudden reinvent the rental market. Look at the top rental returns in recent history. That’s what you should expect for Pavelski. Perhaps even a little less since the stars lose a lot of leverage with Joe only having 3 teams he can choose to go to.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Why is that? He literally leads the Stars in PP time on ice per game. He also leads the Stars blue line in offensive zone starts per game 5v5. He’s given highly favorable offensive minutes in Dallas. If he went to a team with other better defenseman he’d lose a lot of those opportunities.
Systems , mainly . Has nothing to do with ice time .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

The Stars don't encourage offense, they encourage 1-0, 2-1 games. Very few players would produce in the Stars current system, and even less dmen.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Who’s been the best prospect added to a 1st rounder for a rental in recent memory? Perhaps I’m mistaking but I feel the 1st rounder is usually the biggest piece in these deadline rental deals. Only one that comes to mind is Brannstrom for Stone but that wasn’t in addition to a 1st. Plus Stone came with an extension agreed on which pretty much negates the rental part too.

Abramov in the Duchene trade. Small pond top prospect that lost some steam prior to the trade.

I agree with your point, however. Just answering the question.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Abramov in the Duchene trade. Small pond top prospect that lost some steam prior to the trade.

I agree with your point, however. Just answering the question.
At that point in time Abramov was in the AHL had 22 points in 52 games. If he’s the best prospect added to a 1st for a rental in recent memory then Tyson Jost + a 1st is not a bad deal for Pavelski.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Can't judge his numbers without taking into consideration how bad the team is offensively. No dman would produce much in the Stars defensive system. Put him on Colorado or any team that encourages offense and he would take off again. Skill-wise he's easily top 5, but is held back by the Stars system. Just check out Rick Bowness' comments the other day about Klingberg. He's trying to get him to change his game completely. I'd imagine he will go back to producing normally if he gets a team that at least tries offensively

Context plays a role into this as well, Dallas has been struggling for offense the last couple of years. I'd happily welcome him on the Avs, I've mentioned it before, but the Avs are really dependent on the D being able to move the puck up the ice and support the play offensively. While I do think we need an addition or two up front, we may actually see more of an impact by adding another puck moving defensemen.

Sure, playing for Dallas very well could be a reason why he doesn't score more. But, playing for a poor offensive team doesn't magically make him a top 5 defenseman offensively when there are so many extremely talented guys who regularly produce significantly more. Makar, Fox, Josi, Hughes, Carlson, Letang, Barrie, etc. Is Klingberg really top 5 in terms of offensive skills? Seems more like he'd be in the 5-10 range to me.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
At that point in time Abramov was in the AHL had 22 points in 52 games. If he’s the best prospect added to a 1st for a rental in recent memory then Tyson Jost + a 1st is not a bad deal for Pavelski.

As I said, I agree with you. Abramov had hype coming out of the Q, but lost momentum after an underwhelming AHL rookie season.

Both are a 2nd to 3rd round pick in value to me. Jost still has that Top 10 pedigree. You never know what could happen with a change of scenery. A different prospect or pick would probably not pan out anyway. Taking a flier on him is logical for a kicker piece in a deadline deal.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
The track record Pavelski has burning Colorado, he's do it one more time by finally falling apart as soon as the Avs obtained him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad