Pavelec and Byfuglien pronounciation

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I know that we've been mis-pronuncing Byfuglien (something like bye-foog-leen) but what about Pavelec? Listening to TSN 690 during the Montreal game the announcer was insistent that the c in Pavelec is similar to the c in Plekanec. So the correct pronunciation is "Pav lits" or something like that. Does anyone know this for sure?

edit : can someone fix the spelling mistake in the title?

fatschoonerrat

Jul 6, 2007
Charleston
hockeyfansunion.com
I don't think Byfuglien pronounces his own name the French way. But yeah, Pavelec, Plekanec ... same deal. I think of the Czech players, Erat pronounced in North American English is the most butchered (EE-rat vs. air-RAHT).

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Is Byfuglien pronounced [BUF-LYNN] like I hear most places, or [BUF-A-LYNN] like Jay Richardson screams when doing PA announcements for goals, starting lineups, etc?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't think Byfuglien pronounces his own name the French way. But yeah, Pavelec, Plekanec ... same deal. I think of the Czech players, Erat pronounced in North American English is the most butchered (EE-rat vs. air-RAHT).

Norweigen apparently, not French.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
bye-foog-lie-un

Just having problems writing it down.:laugh:

The By-part is pronounced pretty similar to Be. Not exactly like it, but pretty close.

Fug is actually pretty close to the Foog you said, just a bit shorter. The "oo" pronounciation is pretty much correct, just say it quickly.

Lien is, like I said, pronounced Lee-en. En as in Entry.

mking3

Feb 2, 2013
C in Czech sounds like 'ts' so it's pav-e-lets. His first name 'Ondrej' you don't pronounce the j in that so you might as well pounce them both correctly. Ahn-drey pav-e-lets. :nod:
Or pronounce them both wrong to be consistent: ON-DREDGE PAV-UH-LECK!:laugh:

http://mylanguages.org/czech_alphabet.php

This is an excerpt from an article I read a while back. I couldn't find h full article this time but here is the important part of it. Basically his real name is byfuglien but when he was in Chicago the announcers there found it too difficult or too foreign sounding so they jut started calling him bufflin and unfortunately it stuck. His agent apparently told him he should change the spelling of his name since everyone was getting it wrong anyways.

"Byfuglien inherited the name from his mother, who is Norwegian. In his hometown, the tiny northwest Minnesota burg of Roseau, locals say “bye-foog-lie-in.†On TV and among hockey fans, however, it’s “Bufflin.†He’s a large guy – listed at 257 pounds – so sometimes it’s “Big Buff.â€
Byfuglien, it seems, has been Favred.
Both players’ names have been simplified – to the point where their original pronunciation has been eclipsed by its newly invented one. Favre should sound something like “Fahvrr†– just ask distant cousins of his – but announcers and fans evidently had trouble with that vr sound, so unfamiliar in English. And there’s that guttural, rolling r, meant to be trilled in the back of the throat. It’s much easier to say the v and r sounds in reverse – a linguistic process known as metathesis, wherein “pretty†becomes purty and “spaghetti†becomes pasghetti. [...]
“The pronunciation in Norwegian is something like bee-foog-lee-an… but actually the vowel in the first part (bee) is the Norwegian sound y, which is darker (narrower) than the ee sound.
“However, if Americans pronounce it buf-lin, it’s their party.â€
It usually is.
But let’s not place all the blame on Americans. Many a French-Canadian hockey player’s name has been sacrificed on the tongues of their Anglo fans. Many “Claudes†have become mere “Clods.†[...]
We English speakers are so much more versatile than we give ourselves credit for…. Brigitte Bardot never became Bridget Bardott, did she?"

http://blog.fawny.org/2010/06/11/byfuglien/

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I played with a Czech guy named Robert Filc. Rob-ert Feel-ts was how he said to pronounce it.

I've always known Pavelec to be Pav-e-lets, but when you hear Pav-a-leck or lech over and over, you end up calling him that.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Lynk: LOL, sounds like you have heard too much Radio Free Vestibule - Bulbous Bouffant.

Byfuglien - U in Norwegian sounds like the double OO of balloon.
This girl explains it nicely; at the 3 minute mark...some of you may wish to watch the whole video as she seems to be easy on the eyes

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad