Pavel Bure

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
This brings up an interesting question, were Selanne and Mogilny actually better at their peak than Bure? It’s tough to say since both had their peaks during 1992-93, but like you say Bure played then and only scored 60…. It’s quite the difference
All three were great goal-scorers, and all three had great speed, and all three were significantly affected by injuries, in different ways.

I do believe that, at their bests, they were three of the best goal-scorers ever.

But I think Bure was the best goal-scorer of that generation. Bure was better as an individualist, and I think that contributed in giving him an edge. His individualism, combined with his desire to score goals, his explosive skating, stickhandling, and deking ability.

Reactions: authentic

BarnabyJones PI

I'd kindly settle for a tall glass of milk.
This brings up an interesting question, were Selanne and Mogilny actually better at their peak than Bure? It’s tough to say since both had their peaks during 1992-93, but like you say Bure played then and only scored 60…. It’s quite the difference
It's probably not a popular opinion, but I think so. Isolating it to their absolute best season.

I've long wondered if Mogilny isn't the most talented of the Bure/Fedorov/Mogilny grouping (including Selanne too).

Mogilny and Selanne have more give-and-take to their game working off of their teammates, and while Bure can individually do things like (almost) no one else, hockey's not a 1-on-5 game at the end of the day. Bure didn't need "optimal conditions" to hit 60 goals. Credit to him for that. In less-than-desirable conditions, I think Selanne and (a motivated enough) Mogilny could still hit 40-50 goals. The flipside is that I highly doubt Bure could give you more than what he gave (60 goals/50 assists, career highs), in terms of his peak play.

I also have a very hard time picturing Bure and Lafontaine's games gelling together, or Bure playing with Zhamnov and specifically Phil Housley, in those scenarios, matching Mogilny and Selanne's high water mark of 76 goals. You need to invest in your teammates more, to yield greater returns. Bure is not that kind of a guy in my opinion.

Last edited:

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
It's probably not a popular opinion, but I think so. Isolating it to their absolute best season.

I've long wondered if Mogilny isn't the most talented of the Bure/Fedorov/Mogilny grouping (including Selanne too).

Mogilny and Selanne have more give-and-take to their game working off of their teammates, and while Bure can individually do things like (almost) no one else, hockey's not a 1-on-5 game at the end of the day. Bure didn't need "optimal conditions" to hit 60 goals. Credit to him for that. In less-than-desirable conditions, I think Selanne and (a motivated enough) Mogilny could still hit 40-50 goals. The flipside is that I highly doubt Bure could give you more than what he gave (60 goals/50 assists, career highs), in terms of his peak play.

I also have a very hard time picturing Bure and Lafontaine's games gelling together, or Bure playing with Zhamnov and specifically Phil Housley, in those scenarios, matching Mogilny and Selanne's high water mark of 76 goals. You need to invest in your teammates more, to yield greater returns. Bure is not that kind of a guy in my opinion.

Last three seasons of pro hockey at CSKA before departing for the NHL:

1728981912359.png

Bure dominates even in terms of assists. Secondary and rebounded assists weren't counted afaik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad