Value of: Pavel Buchnevich

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I feel like the first two trades you mentioned were different in terms of value even at the time. Yandle got back significantly more value. That McDonagh trade was the worst of Gorton's tenure by far. I believe that the 1st ended up K'Andre Miller. Miller is a very good defenseman and really the only saving grace from that trade. Hajek is not an NHLer, Howden has been better since leaving the Rangers but he's a 4th liner.
I believe that 1st became Nils Lundkvist, not Miller. Nils then became a 1 later on. We can debate the results of that but who knows if the Tank trade happens if the NYR don’t acquire that other 1st or not.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If St Louis is not contending for a playoff spot by the TDL—they should absolutely sell.

It seems like he would be the premier TDL acquisition if he was available. I would think a Timo Meier-ish trade package.

unfortunately they wont be contending. We are in year 2 of a 4 year rebuild.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
unfortunately they wont be contending. We are in year 2 of a 4 year rebuild.
Hugely optimistic. 27-28 could be the first interesting season if and only if they draft a true #1 defenseman this draft. It's basically 3 years after that moment of building before they will have a chance. They don't have that player, the clock hasn't even begun yet. It's at minimum this year and three additional years. We have a hapless moron running the team also, he will have to be replaced as well.

Reactions: Mike Liut

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Buch has one more on his contract following this year. I doubt he’ll want to resign during his prime years on a rebuilding team. He’s a great 2-way player and close to a ppg player.

The Blues could use a young dman or a top D prospect. What’s your offer?
At the TDL a realistic offer the blues would take would be

To STL
2024 1st
Zac Jones
Brennan Othmann

To NYR
Buch at 50% retained

With that said I know rangers fans will freak out about that offer and not sure rangers do it but its a realistic offer and fair for both sides imo. Rangers get buch at effectively a $2.9 cap hit for 1.5 years and then the opportunity to re-sign him at the end. Rangers end the 2024 season with a lineup of

Kreider-Mika-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Lafreniere
Cuylle-Trocheck-Kakko
Goodrow-Bonino-Vesey
Wheeler (hes cooked)

Lingren-Fox
Kandre-Trouba
Gustafsson-Schneider

Igor

This is a stanley cup roster with buch. Its the type of trade you make as you go for it in 23-24 and 24-25 seasons

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

To STL
2024 1st
Zac Jones
Brennan Othmann

To NYR
Buch at 50% retained

With that said I know rangers fans will freak out about that offer and not sure rangers do it but its a realistic offer and fair for both sides imo. Rangers get buch at effectively a $2.9 cap hit for 1.5 years and then the opportunity to re-sign him at the end. Rangers end the 2024 season with a lineup of

Kreider-Mika-Buch
Cuylle-Trocheck-Kakko
Goodrow-Bonino-Vesey
Wheeler (hes cooked)

Lingren-Fox
Kandre-Trouba
Gustafsson-Schneider

Igor

This is a stanley cup roster with buch. Its the type of trade you make as you go for it in 23-24 and 24-25 seasons

What about Miller for Buch? Is an add needed and if so from who and what?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

To STL
2024 1st
Zac Jones
Brennan Othmann

To NYR
Buch at 50% retained

Kreider-Mika-Buch
Cuylle-Trocheck-Kakko
Goodrow-Bonino-Vesey
Wheeler (hes cooked)

Lingren-Fox
Kandre-Trouba
Gustafsson-Schneider

Igor

That sounds like Chris Drury tier asset management for sure.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's really hard to pin down the value of a guy like Buchnevich because of that impending contract situation. He's not in that pure "rental" market where you've got a lot of baseline comparables to work from.

But a lot of it also kinda comes down to what sort of contract you think Buchnevich is going to want as a UFA after next year. You can't spend multiple premium top tier futures assets on a guy you're not sure you can afford to keep beyond that. Optically, it's suicide for a GM to do that kind of thing.

So it puts the acquiring team in an awkward situation, adding leverage for Buch's camp because they know the GM can't afford to walk away.

You're realistically looking at $9M+ at that point, on more or less a "retirement term". Is that something you're comfortable with? The answer to that question ultimately has to factor into the equation of what you can afford to give up in terms of "assets". Especially when it's compounded by the risk of the player deciding to just walk for a huge payday somewhere else anyway.

But...he'd be a game changing acquisition for a playoff team looking to add something big to really put them over the top. Few other wingers who are even potentially available would have the sort of impact you get from a big, robust, ~PPG two-way winger with a bit of center versatility...right in his prime. And his contract for this year and next is very reasonable and at least within striking distance of fitting into a lot of team's limited cap space, with a little bit of finagling.

Reactions: DavidBL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad