Paul Maurice, Stanley Cup Champion

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
How cool is this! Great coach. Great person. So well deserved. Such class mentioning Winnipeg too. Congrats to PoMo and Jamie Kompon too.

449102950_1141705613769816_588292656890928749_n.jpg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nope. Florida fan here

I could never root for the Jets as I grew up a Thrashers fan, but we all understand what Maurice meant and respect him for it. He didn’t get business done in Winnipeg but has a strong emotional attachment to it (that led him to get burnt out)

Quick question.

I talked to a guy who would know and that said Vinny use to have to cut pretty big cheques to balance the books in the early days until the Panther started building a top level brand. What has his reputation been as an owner with the fans? Sure nice to see him celebrating last night.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
When I saw Paul in that interview I am convinced what he meant was this:

I have got my cookies now after toiling for 30 years and am hoping the next long suffering group to get it is Winnipeg (some day) .

I really don’t think he meant next season I think he meant, At some point too.

I know he wants to win again he was just hoping Winnipeg gets to feel what he just went through at some point.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Quick question.

I talked to a guy who would know and that said Vinny use to have to cut pretty big cheques to balance the books in the early days until the Panther started building a top level brand. What has his reputation been as an owner with the fans? Sure nice to see him celebrating last night.
Generally very good. He invested in the community, built up an organization, and made bold moves. He kept the staff on the payroll during Covid (while a lot of other teams didn't) and seems to care about the market.

There were growing pains: in 2016, he forced Tallon upstairs and replaced him with the calculator boys, who butchered it. The way they fired Gallant wasn't great. Over time, he learned though: he stopped making decisions out of his core competencies, killed it with the Zito hire, and showed a willingness to spend! (Taxes aren't the main advantage for the Panthers; he's willing to guarantee players all their money by only offering signing bonuses

I met his cousin at a game before, and you can tell that the Viola family is just high class.

TL; DR: I made a joke on the main board that McDavid was the second most important man in the Stanley Cup this year behind Bill Zito. One could argue Viola gives McDavid a run for his money

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
When I saw Paul in that interview I am convinced what he meant was this:

I have got my cookies now after toiling for 30 years and am hoping the next long suffering group to get it is Winnipeg (some day) .

I really don’t think he meant next season I think he meant, At some point too.

I know he wants to win again he was just hoping Winnipeg gets to feel what he just went through at some point.
Yup. This was "I wish for Winnipeg to feel what I am feeling right now". The "next year" part was irrelevant.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm gonna spitball something, y'all tell me if I'm nuts. Looking ten years into the future, four words:

Paul Maurice: NHL Commissioner.

Crazy or nah?

Would be a lot more entertaining than Bettman but they would never go for it. Law degree is like requirement 1 for a commissioner of any sport. Generally highly versed in labour law.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Generally very good. He invested in the community, built up an organization, and made bold moves. He kept the staff on the payroll during Covid (while a lot of other teams didn't) and seems to care about the market.

There were growing pains: in 2016, he forced Tallon upstairs and replaced him with the calculator boys, who butchered it. The way they fired Gallant wasn't great. Over time, he learned though: he stopped making decisions out of his core competencies, killed it with the Zito hire, and showed a willingness to spend! (Taxes aren't the main advantage for the Panthers; he's willing to guarantee players all their money by only offering signing bonuses

I met his cousin at a game before, and you can tell that the Viola family is just high class.

TL; DR: I made a joke on the main board that McDavid was the second most important man in the Stanley Cup this year behind Bill Zito. One could argue Viola gives McDavid a run for his money
I think the signing bonus strategy is actually a tax strategy - a way to maximize the benefit of Florida not having a state income tax. If a player is paid a huge signing bonus every July 1, that's taxed in Florida (assuming the player's primary residence is there). It would be worth millions/year to a player like Barkov or Tkachuk, who get 90% of their earnings through their bonus (in addition to the other player benefits of signing bonuses).

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think the signing bonus strategy is actually a tax strategy - a way to maximize the benefit of Florida not having a state income tax. If a player is paid a huge signing bonus every July 1, that's taxed in Florida (assuming the player's primary residence is there). It would be worth millions/year to a player like Barkov or Tkachuk, who get 90% of their earnings through their bonus (in addition to the other player benefits of signing bonuses).

It's a bit of both. You have to be an owner that's willing to spend to outlay the signing bonus up front, but it's also a tax advantage in Florida to do so.

Reactions: Gm0ney

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I'm gonna spitball something, y'all tell me if I'm nuts. Looking ten years into the future, four words:

Paul Maurice: NHL Commissioner.

Crazy or nah?
Actually, I think he'd make a very good commissioner, for the sport itself and for the fans & players. He cares so much and would be a great ambassador. I don't think he's cutthroat enough for the bigwigs, and it's hard to boo the guy... 😏 The public parts he'd be great at, not sure about the behind the scenes stuff...

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Actually, I think he'd make a very good commissioner, for the sport itself and for the fans & players. He cares so much and would be a great ambassador. I don't think he's cutthroat enough for the bigwigs, and it's hard to boo the guy... 😏 The public parts he'd be great at, not sure about the behind the scenes stuff...

How about Department of Player Safety then? Parros has proven you don't need ANY qualifications for that position, and I'd like a 'suspension breakdown' video that doesn't make me want to cave my skull in from frustration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad