Paul Kariya vs Pavel Bure

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who was better?

• Paul Kariya

Votes: 41 26.8%
  • Pavel Bure

Votes: 112 73.2%

• Total voters

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
2nd vs 12th for the Hart..... thats all you need to know.

You're doing this thing again where you blanket compare different seasons against each other, not a very solid methodology. 93–94 was unusually strong.

Also, you're putting way too much credence into the PHWA, they voted Adam Graves as the most valuable player on the Rangers that year, but he wasn't even PPG but mostly just a trigger guy on their PP, offensively speaking. Quite a fine overall player, but not as valuable as Leetch or Zubov or Messier. That's like saying Alex Burrows was the MVP on the 2010–11 Canucks.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Bure had more flash but I preferred Kariya’s substance.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Injuries really killed Bure,or we are likely talking about a top 10 player of all time.He was that good
He was not. He's a Selanne/Kariya level player. Hall of Fame level talent and easily in the upper tier of the Hall. But we got to see what he was.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Bure played the PP & PK he was faster than Kariya & a better goal scorer.

Kariya also played on the pp and PK. They were my two favorite players growing up. Imo they are pretty close to equal. Yes Bure was the more dynamic one on one player and the superior goal scorer, but Kariya was the more Cerebral player and had better vision and playmaking while being a top 10 goal scorer in the league. Its a matter of personal preference imo. As I've grown older the more Cerebral player type appeals to me more which is why I rate Kariya higher.

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Kariya also played on the pp and PK. They were my two favorite players growing up. Imo they are pretty close to equal. Yes Bure was the more dynamic one on one player and the superior goal scorer, but Kariya was the more Cerebral player and had better vision and playmaking while being a top 10 goal scorer in the league. Its a matter of personal preference imo. As I've grown older the more Cerebral player type appeals to me more which is why I rate Kariya higher.
Bure has 34 career SHG that is twice as much as Kariya. Bure has 49 career SHP over double compared to career. Bure has more career goals with almost 300 fewer games. Bure was faster than Kariya and a better goal scorer.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Bure has 34 career SHG that is twice as much as Kariya. Bure has 49 career SHP over double compared to career. Bure has more career goals with almost 300 fewer games. Bure was faster than Kariya and a better goal scorer.

I'm not sure what your point is. I already agreed Bure was the better goal scorer. All I said was Kariya also played on the PK. I don't remember enough of either player on the PK to give an informed answer in whonwas better. 🤔

You're free to like Bure more. I appreciate both with a nod to Kariya for who I prefer from a stylistic perspective.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I'm not sure what your point is. I already agreed Bure was the better goal scorer. All I said was Kariya also played on the PK. I don't remember enough of either player on the PK to give an informed answer in whonwas better. 🤔

You're free to like Bure more. I appreciate both with a nod to Kariya for who I prefer from a stylistic perspective.

This is a weird retreat. You made PK a point of emphasis yet he pointed out to you a glaring disparity in SHG. So there are other parts to PKing except his coach at the time had to trust him enough to expect him to help more than he hurts.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is a weird retreat. You made PK a point of emphasis yet he pointed out to you a glaring disparity in SHG. So there are other parts to PKing except his coach at the time had to trust him enough to expect him to help more than he hurts.

All he said originally was Bure played on the PP and PK. I juat responded that so did Kariya. That was all, he then brought up points. The point of the PK is to prevent goals first so being a more prolific scorer may or may not have translated into being a better PK player depending on what was given up to score those points. I don't remember near enough to know that answer but I don't primarily judge a PKer by how many sh points they have.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
All he said originally was Bure played on the PP and PK. I juat responded that so did Kariya. That was all, he then brought up points. The point of the PK is to prevent goals first so being a more prolific scorer may or may not have translated into being a better PK player depending on what was given up to score those points. I don't remember near enough to know that answer but I don't primarily judge a PKer by how many sh points they have.

Weird retreat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad