Patrik Laine

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
he never had any shoulder injuries? i don’t think that’s true

he had already been reported to have mental/attitude issues before the draft but jets picked him as bpa
He had one shoulder injury which was during the 2023-2024 season and why he only played games that season and he already had surgery on it and it was during the 2023-2024 season and his fall of started before that so the injury was not the reason for his fall off.

the attitude issues had to do with with the orginization and the mental health problem was depression and anxiety and he probably got the depression when his dad died but that wasnt until 2021 when he was with the the blue jackets and his fall off was started before he was with the blue jackets so it wasnt mental health problems and he probably got the anxiety along with the depression.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
can you give us a breakdown of his “streakiness.” how many times did he score a large number of goals in a small amount of games and then score a small amount of goals in a large amount of games following.

You are right about the other teams figuring him out eventually. Are there any stats you can point to show the impact of that?
yes i can

also can you quote the part "You are right about the other teams figuring him out eventually. Are there any stats you can point to show the impact of that?" just so i know what your talking about.

Last edited:

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
can you give us a breakdown of his “streakiness.” how many times did he score a large number of goals in a small amount of games and then score a small amount of goals in a large amount of games following.

You are right about the other teams figuring him out eventually. Are there any stats you can point to show the impact of that?
there is only 2 times i count he scored a large number of goals in a small amount of games and then scored a small amount of goals in a large amount of games following. one time he got 18 goals in 12 games and then only 9 goal in the next 58 games and the other time he got 18 goals in 15 games but it was towards the end of the season and he only had ten games left but in those 10 games he only got 1 goal.

can you give us a breakdown of his “streakiness.”
can you be more specific

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I don't think he was ever as good as people thought. He has good hands (heck, might be even great) and elite shot arsenal. Especially his wrister and slap shot are world class.

But his movement is sub-par and his conditioning was poor. He wasn't able to utilize his strengths and his weaknesses were on display. He also had insane amount of injuries and other mental problems.

I think he can still rebound and be an effective scoring winger. I definitely could see him potting few 40 + 40 seasons still. Just needs to stay healthy.

For newer HFBoards members, Laine has quite insane cult following from Finland when he was younger. As a fellow Finn, when I suggested that he might not be able to break Selanne's season and career records I got basically jumped by his online-managers. And I wasn't even being obnoxious about it, just pointed out that development is not always linear and Laine has some weak spots in his game.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He didnt fall off because of mental health problems, depression, and anxiety because he didnt have mental health problems, depression, and anxiety until after he was traded to the blue jackets and his fall off started before he was traded to the blue jackets.

Sorry, but how the f*** do you know when his mental health problems started affecting his life?

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Sorry, but how the f*** do you know when his mental health problems started affecting his life?
well if you take a good guess of why someone would have depression and dead parent would be one of them and alot of people with depression also have anxiety.

Is it possible lack that it’s because of lack of playmakers?
are you saying he is doing bad because he dosent have a good playmaker to play with?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
well if you take a good guess of why someone would have depression and dead parent would be one of them and alot of people with depression also have anxiety.
Sure, doesn't mean there was no issues before. We can't know when Laine started to have problems with mental health. Great part is he's gotten help and been open about it.

But for easier parts of his game that we can see, he always was bit sluggish on the ice. His top-end speed has always been quite good. But he has always been slow to change directions, his lateral movement is poor and his turns are big and slow.

He has elite elements to his game and he haas poor elements to his game. I always though his biggest issues were conditioning and skating.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
I don't think he was ever as good as people thought. He has good hands (heck, might be even great) and elite shot arsenal. Especially his wrister and slap shot are world class.

But his movement is sub-par and his conditioning was poor. He wasn't able to utilize his strengths and his weaknesses were on display. He also had insane amount of injuries and other mental problems.

I think he can still rebound and be an effective scoring winger. I definitely could see him potting few 40 + 40 seasons still. Just needs to stay healthy.

For newer HFBoards members, Laine has quite insane cult following from Finland when he was younger. As a fellow Finn, when I suggested that he might not be able to break Selanne's season and career records I got basically jumped by his online-managers. And I wasn't even being obnoxious about it, just pointed out that development is not always linear and Laine has some weak spots in his game.
"I don't think he was ever as good as people thought." I agree

He's a above average player that has a good shot and good hands and can put up 30-40 something goals a season, can put up 30-40 something assist a season, and can produce just under or a point per game.

"He also had insane amount of injuries and other mental problems." He never had career altering or career ending injuries and the mental health problems didnt come till later most probably after his dad died which was in 2021 when he was with the blue jackets and his fall off started before then.

"his conditioning was poor" How was his conditioning poor?

"He wasn't able to utilize his strengths" he was able utilize his strengths especially on the powerplay where he used his one-tee.

"But his movement is sub-par" He wasnt a fast skater

"his weaknesses were on display" name some of his weakness

"I think he can still rebound and be an effective scoring winger. I definitely could see him potting few 40 + 40 seasons still." I agree

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Sure, doesn't mean there was no issues before. We can't know when Laine started to have problems with mental health. Great part is he's gotten help and been open about it.

But for easier parts of his game that we can see, he always was bit sluggish on the ice. His top-end speed has always been quite good. But he has always been slow to change directions, his lateral movement is poor and his turns are big and slow.

He has elite elements to his game and he haas poor elements to his game. I always though his biggest issues were conditioning and skating.
I wasnt saying he didnt have problems before im just saying based on what i found he had mental health problems when his dad died and it makes senese that he had mental health problems when his dad died, his mental health problems were depression and anxiety and if your dad just died you would probably have depression and most people with depression also have anxiety.

check out this out https://athlonsports.com/nhl/montreal-canadiens/canadiens-patrik-laine-struggles-linked-father-death

"But for easier parts of his game that we can see, he always was bit sluggish on the ice. His top-end speed has always been quite good. But he has always been slow to change directions, his lateral movement is poor and his turns are big and slow." He's not a been know as a great skater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad