Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
As long as it's not Torn ACL for both,
We can manage imo

Dach torn ACL was in October last year and he was almost ready to play in April he said so,

This could be way better than the ultimate disasters we've been emotionally prepping for

I think we may be on our way to Stage 5 in the 7 stages of grief..
  1. Shock and Denial: Initial numbing reaction to loss.
  2. Pain and Guilt: Deep feelings of sorrow and self-blame.
  3. Anger and Bargaining: Frustration leading to anger and attempts to negotiate for relief.
  4. Depression: A period of deep sadness as one processes the loss.
  5. The Upward Turn: Gradual improvement in emotional state as one begins to adjust.
  6. Reconstruction and Working Through: Actively addressing challenges posed by the loss.
  7. Acceptance and Hope: Finding a way to live with the loss and moving forward with life.

Reactions: Redux91

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No you are not.
He absolutely is. 40 goals wasn't going to happen on a reclamation project. Not this year anyway. Not after that much missed time and shoulder issues.

If it was, tons of teams would've been interested. None were because they knew better.

People on these boards were ready to pony up stupid prices for him. I told you that it made no sense. I told you we should be paid to take him. That's exactly what happened.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
And he's played like 100 games over the past few years... he wasn't going to light it up man. And he's coming off shoulder issues. That's why we got paid to take him.

If you're argument is 'I would expect to miss time and thus only score 25' that's one thing but you didn't. I'm going off the assumption that we're talking about a healthy year.

He absolutely is. 40 goals wasn't going to happen on a reclamation project. Not this year anyway. Not after that much missed time and shoulder issues.

If it was, tons of teams would've been interested. None were because they knew better.

People on these boards were ready to pony up stupid prices for him. I told you that it made no sense. I told you we should be paid to take him. That's exactly what happened.

You keep saying no teams were interested when you've been told multiple times that Philadelphia and Minnesota were interested.

Do you think there's many teams with 8.7 million in cap space on July 26th?

branlumi

Sep 26, 2024
NS has already shown he is a #1 C.

Heck the guy has been carrying this team on his back for years.

NS isnt the one that needs to step up, CC does, talk about inconsistent and a perimeter player. So does Dach.

Only guy on this team that has demonstrated he is legit is NS.
i disagree - Nick Suzuki still needs to step up and take his game to another level - he is at most a bottom 1st liner / top 2nd liner - he needs to increase his production and dominate day in day out...it just hasnt been good enough

I agree with you on Dach - 100% has so much to prove and must...and of course CC

Slaf - must take another step

Its the season this year where they the players need to stop hiding because they cant anymore - anyone who says otherwise isn't watching the game enough

Reactions: ReimanSum1908

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If you're argument is 'I would expect to miss time and thus only score 25' that's one thing but you didn't. I'm going off the assumption that we're talking about a healthy year.
He wasn't healthy to begin with...

Caufield played 82 games last year but he wasn't healthy... guy put up 315 shots and came away with 28 goals. Laine hasn't played much in the past few years and is coming off shoulder surgery. He was NOT putting up 40 goals. Sorry.

Next year? Maybe. That was the lotto ticket part of the equation.

I liked the pickup. Nice risk to take. High second, reclamation project, low expections... great move. But him going down is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. You all need to give your heads a shake if you think this changes things in the long run. It doesn't.

It sucks that he got hurt. I feel bad for him and I think he would've helped us. But he's easily replaceable for what he would've brought. And we can give our younger players a shot too. They won't be as good as Laine would've been but they'll gain some experience. If we tank then we can bring somebody else in. Bottom line though is that we're still well on the path towards a contender in the long run. This doesn't change anything.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Laine is better than those guys. And 8 million dollars more expensive.

Again, fine to take him for what we 'paid'... but there's no way he was going to be a 40 goal guy this year.
Who cares if he gets 40, if he got 30 or 25 thats a huge plus and a massive upgrade on what they have. The only Hab that got over 30 was NS. CC only got 28 and what he is making 7 million.
Your rationale makes zero sense. Who cares about the money, if they have the cap space!!!

Losing Laine was/is no blessing, it hurts this team, no matter how anyone wants to spin it. Second line depth is impacted, PP is impacted, and teams can now solely focus on 1st line. Him in the lineup makes everyone else better.

He isn't replaceable by any of the scrubs they have down the line up. And I am more than confident Hugo didn't just shrug their shoulders when they got the news. I'm willing to bet there was a dark cloud around their offices all day and still is.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Who cares if he gets 40, if he got 30 or 25 thats a huge plus and a massive upgrade on what they have.
Who gives a crap?

Again, you're looking at things short term. I'm not.

Yeah, it sucks he went down. I'd liked to have seen him play with us and was hopeful he'd get his game back. But ultimately, this season doesn't matter as much as people think it does. And we can always trade for another guy to fill that role if need be. We got a high second to take him. It's still a winning trade even with the injury.

By all means continue with the hysterics, it doesn't matter in the long run.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He wasn't healthy to begin with...

Caufield played 82 games last year but he wasn't healthy... guy put up 315 shots and came away with 28 goals. Laine hasn't played much in the past few years and is coming off shoulder surgery. He was NOT putting up 40 goals. Sorry.

Next year? Maybe. That was the lotto ticket part of the equation.

I liked the pickup. Nice risk to take. High second, reclamation project, low expections... great move. But him going down is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. You all need to give your heads a shake if you think this changes things in the long run. It doesn't.

It sucks that he got hurt. I feel bad for him and I think he would've helped us. But he's easily replaceable for what he would've brought. And we can give our younger players a shot too. They won't be as good as Laine would've been but they'll gain some experience. If we tank then we can bring somebody else in. Bottom line though is that we're still well on the path towards a contender in the long run. This doesn't change anything.

I'll say this: I think it's good that you're remaining relatively positive but I think the players and team would disagree with you profoundly. They've made it pretty clear that they're clearly expecting to take a step this year and Laine was supposed to be a big part of that and now we've lost him for half the year at minimum. That's massive blow any way you look at it IMO. This year matters. He's also 26. The dude is young enough to have a long future here, provided he stays healthy and performs.

Reactions: Habby4Life

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'll say this: I think it's good that you're remaining relatively positive but I think the players and team would disagree with you profoundly. They've made it pretty clear that they're clearly expecting to take a step this year and Laine was supposed to be a big part of that and now we've lost him for half the year at minimum. That's massive blow any way you look at it IMO. This year matters. He's also 26. The dude is young enough to have a long future here, provided he stays healthy and performs.
I think we'll take a step forward anyway. I felt that way long before we got Laine.

The only thing that I think would impact this is injuries and you can't control that.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
i disagree - Nick Suzuki still needs to step up and take his game to another level - he is at most a bottom 1st liner / top 2nd liner - he needs to increase his production and dominate day in day out...it just hasnt been good enough

I agree with you on Dach - 100% has so much to prove and must...and of course CC

Slaf - must take another step

Its the season this year where they the players need to stop hiding because they cant anymore - anyone who says otherwise isn't watching the game enough
NS is what he is. There is nothing down the lineup to help this guy. NS is a mid tier 1st liner and is an all around solid two way guy. Dominate, give him something to work with.

Dude does ALL the heavy lifting for this team because they have no one else who can. CC is inconsistent, and should a second line guy, and Slaf is for real but young, but after that, down the lineup he is surrounded by JUNK.

NS desperately needs Dach to help carry some of the load.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Loser? No.

He was a smart pickup. Secondary scoring with the possibility of finding his way back down the road. I liked the aquisition but losing him doesn't change much in the grand scheme of things. I had modest expectations of him and so did most analytsts. Last week TSN predicted a 25 goal year for him and that's about where I had him.

RB is a promising youngster. Some will pan out and some won't. I didn't even think he'd start the season with us.

I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of double standards.
Not picking on you in particular but laine is a legit proven sniper jist a couple years removed and he’s already being talked about like ‘meh’ no biggie if he’s out for a while . But dare to say anything about the ‘never proven’ DR and I get lit up with 20 responses all harsh and really personal attacks lol. The cuddling DR gets compare to laine is ridiculous

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Who gives a crap?

Yeah, it sucks he went down. I'd liked to have seen him play with us and was hopeful he'd get his game back. But ultimately, this season doesn't matter as much as people think it does. And we can always trade for another guy to fill that role if need be. We got a high second to take him. It's still a winning trade even with the injury.

I'm not looking short term. Hugo got him because they admitted they needed secondary scoring, came right from the horses mouth.

Hysterics, ok, keep telling me Roy and Newhook are 2nd line guys, pure comedy GOLD.

Only on Habs boards losing a potential 30+ goal scorer is no biggie. I guess it isnt if you like losing every night.

Some guys just love to tank, lol. They just can't get enough of it.

Reactions: ReHabs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
NS is what he is. There is nothing down the lineup to help this guy. NS is a mid tier 1st liner and is an all around solid two way guy. Dominate, give him something to work with.

Dude does ALL the heavy lifting for this team because they have no one else who can. CC is inconsistent, and should a second line guy, and Slaf is for real but young, but after that, down the lineup he is surrounded by JUNK.

NS desperately needs Dach to help carry some of the load.
NS has had to do heavy lifting because Dach hasn't been healthy enough to help. Hopefully that changes this season. It's beyond anyone's control on injuries though.

CC has been incredibly consistent. Injuries prevented what should've been a career year last sesaon. His shots were in close and he put up more shots on goal than any player for us since Guy Lafleur.

It all comes down to health. If Dach is healthy it will make a huge difference. If CC's healthy he's not only a first line player all day long, he's capabable of being a superstar level player. But health isn't something you can count on for ANY player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not picking on you in particular
Bring it on buddy. :)
but laine is a legit proven sniper jist a couple years removed and he’s already being talked about like ‘meh’ no biggie if he’s out for a while . But dare to say anything about the ‘never proven’ DR and I get lit up with 20 responses all harsh and really personal attacks lol. The cuddling DR gets compare to laine is ridiculous
DR is completely different and I don't know why you're bringing him up. He's a work in progress, completely different from Laine.

As for Laine, he has superstar talent - no question. Nobody doubts that for a moment. But he's missed a lot of games and is coming off shoulder surgery. He's injury prone and was brought in to shore up the scoring on the second line. That's it.

Yes, the potential for more was there. But I don't think anyone expected it to happen this year. This was a 'rehab' type year. Martin Biron last week said the Habs would be ecstatic if he scored 30 and that's exactly right. Again, sucks that he's gone. I was hoping he'd find his game and maybe we could add him in the future but it was always a 'wait and see' with him anyway. Now - is Martin Biron a source of authority? Of course not. But that was the general consensus of people around the league - Laine would be good for 20-25 goals with an outside shot at 30. He wasn't going to come in and win a Richard.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I'm not looking short term. Hugo got him because they admitted they needed secondary scoring, came right from the horses mouth.

Hysterics, ok, keep telling me Roy and Newhook are 2nd line guys, pure comedy GOLD.

Only on Habs boards losing a potential 30+ goal scorer is no biggie. I guess it isnt if you like losing every night.

Some guys just love to tank, lol. They just can't get enough of it.
We are called Tanksters, it is what we do, yes it is a cry for help. I am self identifying.... help me. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: dinodebino

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Who gives a crap?

Since we’re all going to die in the long run anyway, nothing that happens before then really matters. No.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
NS has had to do heavy lifting because Dach hasn't been healthy enough to help. Hopefully that changes this season. It's beyond anyone's control on injuries though.

CC has been incredibly consistent. Injuries prevented what should've been a career year last sesaon. His shots were in close and he put up more shots on goal than any player for us since Guy Lafleur.

It all comes down to health. If Dach is healthy it will make a huge difference. If CC's healthy he's not only a first line player all day long, he's capabable of being a superstar level player. But health isn't something you can count on for ANY player.
Lost me a superstar..

Very good, superstar, please.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
just in time to score a few goals that bump us out of the Martone sweepstakes!
Like I said early bud,

Losing Laine ain't gonna turn us into a lotto team. The only way that happens is if we get more of these crazy injuries. If that happens then all bets are off.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Bring it on buddy. :)

DR is completely different and I don't know why you're bringing him up. He's a work in progress, completely different from Laine.

As for Laine, he has superstar talent - no question. Nobody doubts that for a moment. But he's missed a lot of games and is coming off shoulder surgery. He's injury prone and was brought in to shore up the scoring on the second line. That's it.

Yes, the potential for more was there. But I don't think anyone expected it to happen this year. This was a 'rehab' type year. Martin Biron last week said the Habs would be ecstatic if he scored 30 and that's exactly right. Again, sucks that he's gone. I was hoping he'd find his game and maybe we could add him in the future but it was always a 'wait and see' with him anyway. Now - is Martin Biron a source of authority? Of course not. But that was the general consensus of people around the league - Laine would be good for 20-25 goals with an outside shot at 30. He wasn't going to come in and win a Richard.

Man I was just pumped to have a legit sniper help out so I'm going to miss him. Look how many games we lost by a goal or two last year, his offense could have brought us to respectability if only on the PP. Frustrating.

We won't miss a Reinbacher one bit, he's a project still, but the goals... we will miss the goals Laine 'should have' brought us this year. I mean when was the last time you were excited for a PP in Montreal? It's been forever, I think PL could have brought that back if nothing else.

We were not a bubble playoff team with him, but we certainly get the rebuild on track quicker

Reactions: Habby4Life

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Man I was just pumped to have a legit sniper help out so I'm going to miss him. Look how many games we lost by a goal or two last year, his offense could have brought us to respectability if only on the PP. Frustrating.
I know, it sucks. We lose another player right at the start of the year. It's a gut punch.
We won't miss a Reinbacher one bit, he's a project still, but the goals... we will miss the goals Laine 'should have' brought us this year. I mean when was the last time you were excited for a PP in Montreal? It's been forever, I think PL could have brought that back if nothing else.
RB wasn't going to be on the team to start the year anyway. So I agree we probably won't miss him much as I think he was probably going to be added midseason at the earliest.

Reactions: Habs

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

We were not a bubble playoff team with him, but we certainly get the rebuild on track quicker

Laine will be back by the time Marty puts hutson on PP1, anyway. You're not gonna miss anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad