Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The rebuild will be done when it’s done. It’s silly to try to put a timetable on it. It doesn’t work that way.

It’s fine to add secondary scoring (Laine) along the way. But the rebuild will come from the core you’re building with and most of those guys are either not on the team yet or just getting started.

People need to stop putting hourglasses on the table and asking ‘are we there yet?’ No we’re not. And we’re not going to be there for a while.
People focus too much on Suzuki, Caufield and Guhle. They are technically not part of the rebuild. We keep them because they are young enough and they'll be our vets once the rebuild is done and the current vets will be long gone.

I mean KH got hired in january 2022. That's not even 3 years. Obviously the kids he drafted are for the most part not ready yet. Outise of the Connar Bedard type of prospects kids should be expected to be ready before 21 at the earliest. I've been saying since day 1 that I did not expect result before the 2025-26 season and i still think the same.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The rebuild will be done when it’s done. It’s silly to try to put a timetable on it. It doesn’t work that way.

It’s fine to add secondary scoring (Laine) along the way. But the rebuild will come from the core you’re building with and most of those guys are either not on the team yet or just getting started.

People need to stop putting hourglasses on the table and asking ‘are we there yet?’ No we’re not. And we’re not going to be there for a while.
The core?

You mean 2017 draftee #1C Suzuki?
Or 2019 draftees Dach, Caufield and Newhook?
2020 draftee #1 D Guhle?

Suzuki is 7 years out of his draft year. SEVEN.

By year 7 Landeskog had his full core in place.
By year 7 Barkov was on a contender
By year 7 Crosby had a cup.
By year 7 Ovi had made the POs 5 times
By year 7 Toews had two cups
By year 7 Stamkos had a SCF loss and three PO appearances out of 7.
By year 7 Pietrangelo had 4 PO appearances.
By year 7, Kopitar had a cup.

How long are we looking for the rebuild to last?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
People focus too much on Suzuki, Caufield and Guhle. They are technically not part of the rebuild. We keep them because they are young enough and they'll be our vets once the rebuild is done and the current vets will be long gone.

I mean KH got hired in january 2022. That's not even 3 years. Obviously the kids he drafted are for the most part not ready yet. Outise of the Connar Bedard type of prospects kids should be expected to be ready before 21 at the earliest. I've been saying since day 1 that did not expect result before the 2025-26 season and i still think the same.
Those three players are the 'vets' on the team. :laugh: A lot will be expected of them. But I get what you're saying.

I'm surprised so many people think that us losing Laine has derailed everything... he was always a depth scorer who was likely to leave in two years.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Those three players are the 'vets' on the team. :laugh: A lot will be expected of them. But I get what you're saying.

I'm surprised so many people think that us losing Laine has derailed everything... he was always a depth scorer who was likely to leave in two years.
It is have derailed it , but it sure screwed it up

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Knowing Laine,

See you next year big dog, don't play too much Rocket League and Fortnite.

tiger-woods.gif

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The core?

2020 draftee #1 D Guhle?

It will take what it takes.

If you seriously think we've been rebuilding since 2017, I don't know what to tell you. We haven't.

We had an idiot GM who acquired some talent along the way and wasn't around long enough to ruin them the way he'd runined previous players. That's not rebuilding.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It will take what it takes.

If you seriously think we've been rebuilding since 2017, I don't know what to tell you. We haven't.

We had an idiot GM who acquired some talent along the way and wasn't around long enough to ruin them the way he'd runined previous players. That's not rebuilding.
Again, for the nth time, it doesn't matter what year "we started to rebuild". That's just a flashy word used by people.

We started accumulating in 2018.
Our core is comprised of 2017 and 2020 draftees mostly. All those players are primed.

If we wanted to have a proper rebuild they should've traded those, this is what they decided, now is the time to flip the switch.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
maybe back in time for my EDM trip .....heres hoping

6 months is short for gone for the year.

Lets hope 4, because the thought of watching Roy, Andy, or another scrub on the second line is nauseating.

Got to feel bad for NS knowing every night it is up to him to carry this team on his back. Imagine if he goes down, holy shit, we could be regulated to the AHL.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
The core?

2020 draftee #1 D Guhle?

Only two three more years, lol.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Again, for the nth time, it doesn't matter what year "we started to rebuild". That's just a flashy word used by people.

We started accumulating in 2018.
Our core is comprised of 2017 and 2020 draftees mostly. All those players are primed.
Nick Suzuki is the only player over 25. We're nowhere near a mature team.

I couldn't care less when we started accumulating players. I mean really, who gives a shit?
If we wanted to have a proper rebuild they should've traded those, this is what they decided, now is the time to flip the switch.
Nah. I like the direction we're going. Suzuki's a perfect leader and Caufield should improve as he gets healthier.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. I don't care about if we make the playoffs this year. I care about us winning a cup in the future. We're on the path to compete in the future and that's what I was hoping for.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I honestly think KH wanted to get rid of Harris to open a spot for Struble and getting Laine was the best way to max Harris value (there's no reality where Harris was worth a high 2nd round pick). Two birds with one stone. I highly doubt KH does this trade if he thinks the team is ready. Acquiring that contract was way too risky for a playoffs team. For us there was no real risk. If it works then great if it doesn't then the situation remains the same and Laine leaves at the end of 2026.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Laine as in the guy that was PPG over the last 100 games, is totally replaceable?

I get that you're probably asked to be a light in the dark as a mod, but that's a lot.
Anyone thinking he was coming in as a 40 goal guy was deluding themselves. He's a secondary scorer wrapped in a lotto ticket. He wasn't going to put up more than 25 in all likelyhood.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
6 months is short for gone for the year.

Lets hope 4, because the thought of watching Roy, Andy, or another scrub on the second line is nauseating.

Got to feel bad for NS knowing every night it is up to him to carry this team on his back. Imagine if he goes down, holy shit, we could be regulated to the AHL.
6 months is a comeback in March. 4 months would mean in January.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Nothing in his career suggest he was topping out at 25 if healthy, including in Columbus. That's asinine.
Then why weren't more teams interested in him? Why were we paid to take him?

I'm sorry man but he's coming off tons of time off, player assistance... if you thought he was going to put up 40 goals, you were mistaken. That wasn't going to happen. The upside was that he'd find his game and maybe come back strong next year. But he wasn't going to lead us this season. It was almost a try out year for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad