Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I feel like you are intentionally being disingenuous because you want to continue to prop up this silly claim that the Canadiens are five plus years into their rebuild.

I don't believe, for one moment, that you're not aware of the situation regarding Max Pacioretty and the Canadiens at the time of the trade. He was the captain of the team and during the 2017-18 season, he requested a trade from the team.

The Canadiens were then unable to extend him, as he wanted to leave town, and he made it known that once the season began, he was not even going to entertain a contract offer and would walk to free agency.

This is the Montréal Canadiens forum, everybody here knows all of this - including you - so I don't get the point of you pretending this trade was about a "rebuild."

(I also don't get why you're pretending he's a 40 goal scorer, when, again, you know he wasn't and so does everyone else here.)
So what did Bergevin do? He traded his first line forward equally useful player, right? He traded for another top liner? A top pair D?

Oh no, he got a blue chip prospect, a cap dump and a pick.

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Literally not what I said. People act like a rebuild is some sacred ceremony and only once you truly decide that you're rebuilding, you're rebuilding.

It's not. You can stumble into a rebuild and that's pretty much what Bergevin did
You're arguing from positions where your definition of a rebuild is completely different.

And, predictably, neither of you or your conversation partners is making any attempt at finding common ground and a common, shared definition.

This is really dumb. At least try to hammer out some common ground and build your arguments off that.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The rebuild didn’t start until Bergevin was fired. It should’ve started when we tanked in 2018, but it didn’t. He added pieces like Suzuki, Caufield, etc but he was still making moves to make the playoffs. Bergevin and Molson made it clear threw their own words that they weren’t rebuilding. They waited until Price and Weber were so broken that they couldn’t play and the core was completely broken before they pulled the pin.
It doesn't matter what they said or made us think. What moves did they make to compete? They spent 3rd rounders? On the other end they added Suzuki, picked Caufield, Guhle, Kotkaniemi... Had like 7 picks in the top 60 of the 2018 draft.

Let go of the term rebuild, and just call it accumulation vs depletion of assets. Again, I'll say it for another million times, the phrase "we are rebuilding" doesn't reset your competing window. The players you decide to base your rebuild on do.

Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, newhook, Guhle, Xhekaj, Struble are all born within a 29 months period. That is the competing window no matter how we want to twist the "rebuild started on X and Y because of the moon position" these players are all primed, right now, today and have 5 to 7 years left.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So what did Bergevin do? He traded his first line forward equally useful player, right? He traded for another top liner? A top pair D?

Oh no, he got a blue chip prospect, a cap dump and a pick.
He stated very clearly they were “retooling on the fly”, just as Molson said very clearly on Mitch Melnick’s show in July of 2017, they had a “plan in place with allocated $ for Markov & Radulov, and Drouin acquisition was to add to offense since rebuilding was not an option for the ownership consortium”

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
It seems the entire hockey community have info on both Reinbacher and Laine, why don't Habs just send out the info that everyone already seems to know?

Reactions: Gravity

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You're arguing from positions where your definition of a rebuild is completely different.

And, predictably, neither of you or your conversation partners is making any attempt at finding common ground and a common, shared definition.

This is really dumb. At least try to hammer out some common ground and build your arguments off that.
I've clarified a hundred thousands times that a rebuild is just a buzzword used.

"Were only in year 3 of the rebuild! They take X year" (X being whatever year we're in +2)

The rebuild started the moment they invested in an age group. Ours being the 2017-2020 draft group.

Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Dach, Newhook, Xhekaj, Struble. 4 of them are absolute core players. It's too big of a portion of the roster to "start" the team building at 5 years after the oldest player was drafted.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He stated very clearly they were “retooling on the fly”, just as Molson said very clearly on Mitch Melnick’s show in July of 2017, they had a “plan in place with allocated $ for Markov & Radulov, and Drouin acquisition was to add to offense since rebuilding was not an option for the ownership consortium”
That's a year earlier. Drouin was 2017 and Max was 2018.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Kinda funny that people take it as "not good", when I feel like the fact he's putting a little weight on his leg and walking around with an articulated brace means it doesn't require a totally knee reconstruction...which is good.

Nah man, the full reconstruction is still a high probability.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It doesn't matter what they said or made us think. What moves did they make to compete? They spent 3rd rounders? On the other end they added Suzuki, picked Caufield, Guhle, Kotkaniemi... Had like 7 picks in the top 60 of the 2018 draft.

Let go of the term rebuild, and just call it accumulation vs depletion of assets. Again, I'll say it for another million times, the phrase "we are rebuilding" doesn't reset your competing window. The players you decide to base your rebuild on do.

Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, newhook, Guhle, Xhekaj, Struble are all born within a 29 months period. That is the competing window no matter how we want to twist the "rebuild started on X and Y because of the moon position" these players are all primed, right now, today and have 5 to 7 years left.
In 2018, the excuse was Price wasn’t healthy and had a bad year and Weber was hurt. It was a fluke. In 2019, the team barely missed the playoffs. They were strong after Weber returned 2 months into that season. In 2020, the team underachieved. That led to them adding Anderson, Toffoli, Chariot, Edmunston, Allen, etc the next offseason. Teams in a rebuild don’t make moves like that. If Bergevin was in a rebuild at any point in his tenure, Price, Weber, Gallagher, Petry, and the rest of the core would’ve been blown up when they had value and that never happened. Caufield and Guhle were just good mid first round picks and they got Suzuki out of dumb luck for a disgruntled player in Pacioretty who wanted out.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Nobody would say that the new geime didn’t come in with some good prospects- but they DEVELOPED those prospects far better than they otherwise would’ve been.

The previous regime had a great track record of ruining prospects. That was continuing with Caufield btw. The new regime came in with a completely different philosophy and now all of a sudden our prospects are panning out.

That would not have happened under MB.

Reactions: Habssince89

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nobody would say that the new geime didn’t come in with some good prospects- but they DEVELOPED those prospects far better than they otherwise would’ve been.

The previous regime had a great track record of ruining prospects. That was continuing with Caufield btw. The new regime came in with a completely different philosophy and now all of a sudden our prospects are panning out.

Yes none of that matters.

The winning window is all that matters. That's why the talk of "year 3" is asinine.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Who cares about Bergevin and his lack of direction? I come to the Laine thread expecting to read updates about Laine, not bickering about how Bergevin never had a sense of direction.
There are no updates.

Hopefully tonight at the earliest.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It seems the entire hockey community have info on both Reinbacher and Laine, why don't Habs just send out the info that everyone already seems to know?
bolded the key word here. Until there's an official annoucement, its clickbait gossip.

We can expect generally that PL and DR will be out for a while, but its the media that's preying on habs fans because they know it will drive views. I'm not suggesting there's good news ahead, but I doubt anyone knows the full truth. It's a bunch of speculation. Even the doctors who have commented (from what I've seen) are only speculating and being explicit about how they don't have a source.

Reactions: Justin11

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm not sure what to say to this. 55-68-76 point seasons is huge progression. We have the best first line we've had in 30 years and they're only going to improve further.

Hage has top six potential to go with Demidov. So does Roy. And we already have guys who've recently graduated. It's a really young top six as is.

Not only have we been progressing, we've been stockpiling young talent along the way. This is what rebuilding looks like.

Laine was secondary scoring wrapped in a lottery ticket. Him going down affects us very little in the grand scheme of things. I get being bummed but it's ridiculous to think this somehow changes anything for us long term. It doesn't.
You don't get it man. We lost two pre-season games and Laine got injured. The sky is falling, it's over, we'll finish last in the league for the next 10 years. :sarcasm:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes none of that matters.

The winning window is all that matters. That's why the talk of "year 3" is asinine.
The rebuild will be done when it’s done. It’s silly to try to put a timetable on it. It doesn’t work that way.

It’s fine to add secondary scoring (Laine) along the way. But the rebuild will come from the core you’re building with and most of those guys are either not on the team yet or just getting started.

People need to stop putting hourglasses on the table and asking ‘are we there yet?’ No we’re not. And we’re not going to be there for a while.

Reactions: LaP and JoelWarlord

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
bolded the key word here. Until there's an official annoucement, its clickbait gossip.

We can expect generally that PL and DR will be out for a while, but its the media that's preying on habs fans because they know it will drive views. I'm not suggesting there's good news ahead, but I doubt anyone knows the full truth. It's a bunch of speculation. Even the doctors who have commented (from what I've seen) are only speculating and being explicit about how they don't have a source.
I did the mistake to click on a HABSolument fantastic link this morning. The title said they had information on Laine' injury. The article was just baseless speculation trash as usual.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC

Hughes has great people-judgement skills, which doesn't surprise me as he was an agent. Not only does he seem to be picking good draftees, but he's also seems to be running a much more merit-based front office, instead of the usual Jurassic park country club

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I've clarified a hundred thousands times that a rebuild is just a buzzword used.

"Were only in year 3 of the rebuild! They take X year" (X being whatever year we're in +2)

The rebuild started the moment they invested in an age group. Ours being the 2017-2020 draft group.
That's a very specious definition.
Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Dach, Newhook, Xhekaj, Struble. 4 of them are absolute core players. It's too big of a portion of the roster to "start" the team building at 5 years after the oldest player was drafted.
What do you mean "'start' the team building"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad