Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Disagree slightly. I think they know it's bad but not how bad yet. Swelling etc needs to go down.
Multiple doctors have gone on record saying the habs know the answer already. One even went on the record on TVA and said 100% guaranteed MCL tear and 50% ACL tear, with the ACL tear being the one that will cost him the season. That's just from pictures of the impact.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I agree that just looking at that singular trade it would point to that conclusion, but I believe his contract extension negotiations weren't going well and there were leadership and locker-room issue rumours.

I think MB was so incompetent that he wasn't going in any defined direction for most of his tenure.
Of course he wasn't going in any direction lol. The fact still is he accumulated a lot more than he spent in those last 3 years.

Well I am just sharing my own eye test, team stats being so bad and like @Mrb1p wrote, they barely moved up in the standings. As far as their untapped potential and collective resilience/moral, I hope they are as “glass half full” types as yourself and LG ;) and obviously that a few noobs exceed predictions.

I didn’t expect them to sniff the playoffs with Laine or not btw. I do hope some elite ufa’s will join the team for Suzuki, Slaf and Hutson’s prime years though, not sure Demidov and 2025 draftee is enough for the next step.

I’ll try and enjoy Slaf and Hutson and not be too much of a negative Nancy around here.
I think the Habs could've sniffed the POs with a few key additions, that's why I'm frustrated myself.

And luck, of course. I think people see this team and they don't realize how good Suzuki, Slaf and Guhle really are. That's why they're mostly "patient".

It's easy to be patient when you don't believe in the talent in place, personally I do.

Reactions: Naslundforever

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Every rebuilding team usually starts off with a few assets like this. They all tend to take more than simply 3 years too.
I haven't done a big analysis of other rebuilds but I feel like the Habs don't need to tank for five straight years (that is: one more after this one) or that it is wise to do so. Not something I'm concerned with because I don't think it'll happen.

If this year ends up with the Habs outside the playoff window then of course Hughes should sell sell sell but it's ultimately a big dud. They need to play competitive games, they clearly don't know how to win and they need to learn.

Thomas Sowell

Sep 23, 2024
Screenshot_20240930-165055.png

My birthday is January 21. Would be a nice birthday gift lol

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Jeff Gorton on the sick podcast “the eye test” on YT right now. Said they are getting more than one opinion on the injuries. Mentioned Kapanen first as a guy who could step up in Laine’s absence, if they keep him, but said Kapanen has opened their eyes with his strong camp. Mentioned Roy, Armia and Gallagher as depth options.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Man I miss watching guys like Naslund!!

That 86 team, being a surprise cup winner was stacked. Its sad to watch the habs today when I remember Chelios, Naslund, Smith, Richer, Lemieux, Skrudland, Carbo, Roy, Ludwig, Gainey, Walter, etc.

Been a while since I have seen an entertaining Habs team, looks like it will be many more years to come.

How do you leave out Larry?!?

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Jeff Gorton on the sick podcast “the eye test” on YT right now. Said they are getting more than one opinion on the injuries. Mentioned Kapanen first as a guy who could step up in Laine’s absence, if they keep him, but said Kapanen has opened their eyes with his strong camp. Mentioned Roy, Armia and Gallagher as depth options.

Armia and Gallagher as depth options.

Jesus… what have we done to deserved that?

Reactions: the

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
What would you call trading your 40g scoring captain then?

I feel like you are intentionally being disingenuous because you want to continue to prop up this silly claim that the Canadiens are five plus years into their rebuild.

I don't believe, for one moment, that you're not aware of the situation regarding Max Pacioretty and the Canadiens at the time of the trade. He was the captain of the team and during the 2017-18 season, he requested a trade out of Montreal.

Obviously, in light of this, the Canadiens were then unable to extend him, as he wanted to leave town, and he made it known that once the season began, he was not even going to entertain a contract offer and would walk to free agency.

This is the Montréal Canadiens forum, everybody here knows all of this - including you - so I don't get the point of you pretending this trade was about a "rebuild."

(I also don't get why you're pretending he's a 40 goal scorer, when, again, you know he wasn't and so does everyone else here.)

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Of course he wasn't going in any direction lol. The fact still is he accumulated a lot more than he spent in those last 3 years.

I think the Habs could've sniffed the POs with a few key additions, that's why I'm frustrated myself.

And luck, of course. I think people see this team and they don't realize how good Suzuki, Slaf and Guhle really are. That's why they're mostly "patient".

It's easy to be patient when you don't believe in the talent in place, personally I do.
The rebuild didn’t start until Bergevin was fired. It should’ve started when we tanked in 2018, but it didn’t. He added pieces like Suzuki, Caufield, etc but he was still making moves to make the playoffs. Bergevin and Molson made it clear threw their own words that they weren’t rebuilding. They waited until Price and Weber were so broken that they couldn’t play and the core was completely broken before they pulled the pin.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ok, so the guy that had no plan led you to believe that we were in a rebuild because the scale leaned slightly to the side you're trying to prove? okeeee
Literally not what I said. People act like a rebuild is some sacred ceremony and only once you truly decide that you're rebuilding, you're rebuilding.

It's not. You can stumble into a rebuild and that's pretty much what Bergevin did

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad