Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Goal scorers are so streaky. Matthews is arguably the best right now and he went from 60 down to 40 to 69 goals in three seasons.

And that's the same scale you can expect from healthy Laine, just a bit higher.

This was true all through pre-NHL career, and remained true in their rookie season. Laine was running away with calder until he got concussed and he barely lost even after that, basically missing 20 games (he was like 0+0 for 10 games after coming back and being noticeably off) of the season.

Their head to head history makes it clear. I've watched them in national teams and in NHL You can pull the head to head stats.

For Laine, injuries that affected stats have made people almost ridicule the comparison. As if it was decided who was better, because one stayed healthier and received better opportunity

Now they are in the biggest spotlight of hockey together, Leafs-Canadiens market.

As a Laine fan, I have absolutely no question about who comes over on top if both are healthy. We have 10 years of head to head games facts to show how it goes between the two. It's one sided. Looking forward to more of that evidence.

Last edited:

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015

This was true all through pre-NHL career, and remained true in their rookie season. Laine was running away with calder until he got concussed and he barely lost even after that, basically missing 20 games (he was like 0+0 for 10 games after coming back and being noticeably off) of the season.

Their head to head history makes it clear. I've watched them in national teams and in NHL You can pull the head to head stats.

For Laine, injuries that affected stats have made people almost ridicule the comparison. As if it was decided who was better, because one stayed healthier and received better opportunity

Now they are in the biggest spotlight of hockey together, Leafs-Canadiens market.

As a Laine fan, I have absolutely no question about who comes over on top if both are healthy. We have 10 years of head to head games facts to show how it goes between the two. It's one sided. Looking forward to more of that evidence.
Was curious...looked at his game logs and he got 11 points in the 10 games after his injury.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Was curious...looked at his game logs and he got 11 points in the 10 games after his injury.

He was still quite off during that time, as was my memory. I don't remember which season he blocked a shot and broke a foot, must have been 17-18 where it rendered him quite useless for like 10 games at the end of regular season but he was decent in playoffs after

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
He was still quite off during that time, as was my memory. I don't remember which season he blocked a shot and broke a foot, must have been 17-18 where it rendered him quite useless for like 10 games at the end of regular season but he was decent in playoffs after
I hope he is off like that this season...PPG.:nod:

Reactions: Marioesque

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Mathews is and always has been better than Laine, it really isn't very close at all. Mathews has better hands and a higher IQ and to say that Laine was running away with the Calder is just a peak behind the curtain as to how blinding your bias actually is.

I am excited to see how he does this year and I would not be surprised to see him have a big year but for Laine fans to still try and waive his flag over Mathews is just embarrassing at this point.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Mathews is and always has been better than Laine, it really isn't very close at all. Mathews has better hands and a higher IQ and to say that Laine was running away with the Calder is just a peak behind the curtain as to how blinding your bias actually is.

I am excited to see how he does this year and I would not be surprised to see him have a big year but for Laine fans to still try and waive his flag over Mathews is just embarrassing at this point.

He was absolutely running away with the calder.

I have no interest in the Matthews comparison, it's a distraction, they are different players with different strengths and both are elite. Laine is the better shot.

But it's definitely going to be refreshed because they're in the same market so stating some facts is a good way to start.

Matthews has had a much better career, no question. Zero. When healthy and head to head, Laine beats Matthews. This has been a trend since they were 14-15 years old. National teams and NHL. You want to show me wrong? Look up their junior accomplisments and the games they have played against each other in NHL and try to argue your point after that. I'm fully aware Mathews has had a better run in the NHL, just not when they are on the ice at the same time. Laine won the championships and MVP selections Matthews was gunning for as a teenager. Their head to head in NHL just underlines it

Last edited:

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013

I have no interest in the Matthews comparison, it's a distraction, they are different players with different strengths and both are elite. Laine is the better shot.

But it's definitely going to be refreshed because they're in the same market so stating some facts is a good way to start.

Matthews has had a much better career, no question. Zero. When healthy and head to head, Laine beats Matthews. This has been a trend since they were 14-15 years old. National teams and NHL. You want to show me wrong? Look up their junior accomplisments and the games they have played against each other in NHL and try to argue your point after that. I'm fully aware Mathews has had a better run in the NHL, just not when they are on the ice at the same time. Laine won the championships and MVP selections Matthews was gunning for as a teenager. Their head to head in NHL just underlines it

I mean I hope you're right cause I'm ready to just on to this hype train as much as anybody. However if Laine ever scores 69 or more goals wearing a Habs jersey my wife will have to wake me from a dopamine-induced coma, I sincerely doubt that's gonna happen.

It's possible Mathews has developed better into his current form and that's cool, I'll settle for 60 goals give or take. :naughty:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

1726454504474.png

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I'm soo happy to have this guy.

I can't wait to see his 1st game with Habs, I'm a huge fan of him since 2016 draft.

Now, he is a better mental shape and better environment, that will be fun to watch!!

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I mean I hope you're right cause I'm ready to just on to this hype train as much as anybody. However if Laine ever scores 69 or more goals wearing a Habs jersey my wife will have to wake me from a dopamine-induced coma, I sincerely doubt that's gonna happen.

It's possible Mathews has developed better into his current form and that's cool, I'll settle for 60 goals give or take. :naughty:

The Finnish NHL record is held by Teemu Selänne (76 goals) and Jarri Kurri (135 points). So Patrik Laine's stats will be 77 goals and 136 points in 2024/25 season, because nobody repealed "The Law of Approval". :D

Reactions: Conflicted Habs fan

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Right, but then that takes it back to my original post which you initially quoted, if you are not going to change the first line.

IMO giving Laine the best tools to succeed is Suzuki, not because he's the best centre but the best stylistic fit (on paper). Getting Laine to see things differently will be playing with Dach.

I can understand not wanting to break up the first line, but we're not the same team as last year, and we can have 2 lines that are strong scoring threats which will help with teams matching up against the one line (Cole- Suzuki- Slaf) and produce better results for the team overall.
I could see Dach get hooked into Laine's gravitational pull, and he would be playing/developing based on having Laine on his wing and learning how to consistently support a W of that calibre as a C.

The closer we get to the season, the more I think Laine-Suzuki-Slafkovsky should be the first line. Caufield/Dach has been successful before and I think it will help CC let loose against slightly weaker competition, and shut the doubters up about his ability to score 30-40G.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Just stop, this is sad.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
He wants to stay healthy and have fun.

He says that it's no secret that last few years have been tough. But he's confident that if he can stay on ice and have fun it'll all come together.

He says that he thinks it’s great that fans here care and get pissed with losing. When he said this sentence I knew he's the one! This is the Habs mentality!

Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So much more comfortable today than he's been in any previous interview I've seen him in.
Sound Bytes have an importance for me because there is a veracity coming from the top.
I expect it to filter down.

Reactions: HomaridII

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand

This is really where you want to set the bar for Laine? Top 5 player in the league? I think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

I’d be happy if he’s a consistent 30+ goal scorer that fits into the system, and plays a decent 2-way game. Anything more is gravy…

Reactions: Don D and HomaridII

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
This is really where you want to set the bar for Laine? Top 5 player in the league? I think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

I’d be happy if he’s a consistent 30+ goal scorer that fits into the system, and plays a decent 2-way game. Anything more is gravy…

Nah, I understand it's health and opportunity that can alter the situation a lot as we have seen with Laine previously. I'm just expecting him to be mentally in a good place and be able to play to his strengths. He's capable of that kind of production, but there are too many variables to make predictions.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Did you guys hear at the beginning of his interview today as they were adjusting the mic height Chantal Macabe said 'sorry thats as high as I can make it' and Laine responds 'that's fine until I have an extension'.

At first I thought he was joking about a mic extension but I'm pretty sure he was joking about a contract extension. Not to make too much of a one off sentence but he clearly had that thought ready to go imo.

This guy might be fully committed and invested here, the man wants to stay for the long term. Imagine a fully focused and healthy Laine, this might be a grand slam of a move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad