Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Pretty sure that's what they will try at first. Something like that

I wouldn't be surprised if MSL starts with Gally or Anderson over Roy on the pp. And similarly for his 5 on 5 depth chart. MSL likes his vets. But at least he eventually tends to change. He finally gave Slaf a shot on the first line last year. It just took way too long.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Without him even stepping in the ice I can tell he's going to be my favorite player. He's got that superstar aura. He's a good player.

He's a rare talent. But sometimes those players can fall off of a cliff in terms of what they can actually do on the ice. I suspect with some players, substance abuse takes its toll on the body. I'm glad it doesn't sound like Laine had a substance abuse problem. But we never know what actually he is going through. We'll see where he is at physically over the next 2 years.

It may take him some time to get back to form. So I'll be patient with him in year 1. Also MSL will have to find him the right linemates, role, way to coach him, etc... It may take time. Remember Teemu Selanne in Colorado?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't be surprised if MSL starts with Gally or Anderson over Roy on the pp. And similarly for his 5 on 5 depth chart. MSL likes his vets. But at least he eventually tends to change. He finally gave Slaf a shot on the first line last year. It just took way too long.

Will depend on Roy's performance. MSL does have a full roster to manage. Lots of fans want the "deadweight" to be gone ASAP but that's not how the Habs management see this.

Lots of stuff is tried in practice that fans don't see. Fans watch games and say... why isn't he on the PP! Well, because our management don't think they are ready. Just go look at Slav's PP time and when that increased. It's based on performance and puck management. You can't have a young player turning the puck over at a critical time.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Will depend on Roy's performance. MSL does have a full roster to manage. Lots of fans want the "deadweight" to be gone ASAP but that's not how the Habs management see this.

Lots of stuff is tried in practice that fans don't see. Fans watch games and say... why isn't he on the PP! Well, because our management don't think they are ready. Just go look at Slav's PP time and when that increased. It's based on performance and puck management. You can't have a young player turning the puck over at a critical time.

I'm a huge MSL fan. But he's human. He makes mistakes. He again started Josh Anderson on the first line last year. I don't care what he's seeing in practice, it was a bad move. I knew it and many knew it. It happens.

And MSLstarted Slaf with Dach and Newhook last year, from the star. And they were good together. Yet it took him forever to give Slaf a real shot with Suzuki and Caufield. I just think it was a bad move. But that's ok, he's human and he eventually got it right.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
He's a rare talent. But sometimes those players can fall off of a cliff in terms of what they can actually do on the ice. I suspect with some players, substance abuse takes its toll on the body. I'm glad it doesn't sound like Laine had a substance abuse problem. But we never know what actually he is going through. We'll see where he is at physically over the next 2 years.

It may take him some time to get back to form. So I'll be patient with him in year 1. Also MSL will have to find him the right linemates, role, way to coach him, etc... It may take time. Remember Teemu Selanne in Colorado?
Going by what I read in recent Laine's interviews, he carried a depression for years (the "I can't enjoy life anymore" kind).

I'm not even sure he's going to be rusty like some people think. He might take time to adjust to the Habs way of playing and new linemates, but so far players with good IQ have adjusted fast.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Going by what I read in recent Laine's interviews, he carried a depression for years (the "I can't enjoy life anymore" kind).

I'm not even sure he's going to be rusty like some people think. He might take time to adjust to the Habs way of playing and new linemates, but so far players with good IQ have adjusted fast.

I think he will be good. He's only had two bad seasons. One was a few years ago and he already bounced back from it. The other was last year, but it was a small sample size. I'm just saying I'm going to be patient if he isn't lights out from the get-go.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Suzuki the superior center but I don't want to break our first line up. Slaf just breaking out, don't want to switch things around yet. I've learned before.

Roy may end up there, or in top 6 though. As I think about it he played his best hockey with Bedard. He might be a star with Suzuki.
Right, but then that takes it back to my original post which you initially quoted, if you are not going to change the first line.
I enjoyed David's break down and it will be interesting to see how it fits. Can Marty get him (Laine) to see things differently or does he try to give him the best tools possible to help him succeed?
IMO giving Laine the best tools to succeed is Suzuki, not because he's the best centre but the best stylistic fit (on paper). Getting Laine to see things differently will be playing with Dach.

I can understand not wanting to break up the first line, but we're not the same team as last year, and we can have 2 lines that are strong scoring threats which will help with teams matching up against the one line (Cole- Suzuki- Slaf) and produce better results for the team overall.

Last edited:

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
They clearly want to move Anderson at some point. I’m not sure it’s a case of MSL liking his vets. They need Anderson to show something if they hope to move him. I’m sure it won’t last long if we get last years’ version though. As for Gally, I’ll admit he at least produced a bit later in the year. That contract isn’t going anywhere though.
The first PP unit should produce so I’m not even sure how much the second unit will get.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm a huge MSL fan. But he's human. He makes mistakes. He again started Josh Anderson on the first line last year. I don't care what he's seeing in practice, it was a bad move. I knew it and many knew it. It happens.

And MSLstarted Slaf with Dach and Newhook last year, from the star. And they were good together. Yet it took him forever to give Slaf a real shot with Suzuki and Caufield. I just think it was a bad move. But that's ok, he's human and he eventually got it right.

I don't see it that way exactly. What usually happens is they try things in practice and monitor it. If the player struggles, it makes zero sense to push them into the PP spot during NHL games. There is a fair amount of learning on the job when you are rebuilding (more youth to manage) but this is the NHL, not junior.

Same BS was said about Galchenyuk. Just put him #1C. Well, now that we know, the coach was right. He was not ready and could not handle it. With Slaf, it was a puck management problem. He was turning it over in critical areas. MSL worked with him and as the season went along, he was able to adjust and make better decisions. That's when he got more time. That's how it usually is managed.

MSL is human yes but think about it more. He's got a lot more information than you and a lot of it comes from practice. They only way to catch up with his inside knowledge, is to attend every single practice and see what they are trying.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
IMO giving Laine the best tools to succeed is Suzuki, not because he's the best centre but the best stylist fit (on paper). Getting Laine to see things differently will be playing with Dach.

I see Suzuki as similar to Scheifele, a shooting center who is a scoring threat on their own. It's a good fit for Laine as both can make and finish plays, and the 3rd party of the line needs to win some board battles and get the puck to them.

But I'm sure he'll adapt well to Dach too

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I liked seeing CC with Dach. Last year it made sense to front load since we had lost Dach and did'nt have Laine.

Now, i really see Laine with Slaf and Suzuki. CC with Dach and Newhook/Roy.

Surely we'll see Anderson or Armia in place of Roy/Newhook to start the season and give then opportunity / visibility but this might be only temporary.

I've seen a trade discussion for Huberdeau w retention for Dvorak + 1st. Imagine Huberdeau with Dach and CC if Huberdeau gets his sh*t together... pfiew.

So yeah, Laine on the first. Speed, size, skills. Boum.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
if Huberdeau gets his sh*t together

Please no.

I feel he is one of the most "elevated by teammate" examples ever.
I watched him play here in Saint John before draft and have been following his career since. I expected a 50-60 pt max range for him but I didn't account for him getting attached to Barkov for so long. He looked like a world beater with Barkov but who doesn't? Sam Reinhart was a 60pt guy, now he's a 65g guy. Verhaeghe?

Let's accept Huberdeau for what he is and not have ANY part in paying for that disaster.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't expect him to join the elite of the elite in the league. There is a lot more that goes into being a good shooter than generating torque but that's one thing he should be able to improve on, especially for a guy his size.
If you were paying attention last season Slaf improved his shot dramatically.
He clearly worked on his one timer and it showed.

Reactions: NewDef

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I've seen a trade discussion for Huberdeau w retention for Dvorak + 1st. Imagine Huberdeau with Dach and CC if Huberdeau gets his sh*t together... pfiew.
I've seen it too, and honestly, I have a hard time believing this one. I actually like Huberdeau and think he would be a great addition, but with the way he's played over the last few years, it can not be at his current price tag. That's too much risk to take on.

Also, there's a good chance that the pick will be high as our division is tough and the team is still very young. I think Hughes is too smart to take on that kind of risk unless there's major retention coming with it.

Reactions: Tyson

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Hell nah for Huberdeau. If we get him it needs to be with retention and both the Donkey and Garbage Gallagher going the other way.

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
I think Laine played center into camp last season and perhaps a few games at the start of the season. To me it means he's tried things to make the team better and there is no on-ice issue. He got unlucky with the injury.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I've seen it too, and honestly, I have a hard time believing this one. I actually like Huberdeau and think he would be a great addition, but with the way he's played over the last few years, it can not be at his current price tag. That's too much risk to take on.

Also, there's a good chance that the pick will be high as our division is tough and the team is still very young. I think Hughes is too smart to take on that kind of risk unless there's major retention coming with it.
Yeah, i heard about it, tought about it, was pretty lukecold about it but there may be an upgrade on Anderson for just a bit more (w retention) IF he found his home here. But that'd be a big gamble, with medium potential at high cost.

So my fingers wrote that but I'm pretty meh about it. ;)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I would try Laine/Suzuki/Slaf out of the gate for a couple of reasons.
Suzuki is already honed in on feeding that left side having had Cole there for so long.
Laine has the more lethal shot and there aren't two better linemates to get him the puck.
Caufield and Dach already have chemistry going back a couple of seasons..
I think Caufield will also have a better opportunity to grow his game on a second line.
I'm really hoping he continues on with the play making dimension to his game he worked on last season.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Goal scorers are so streaky. Matthews is arguably the best right now and he went from 60 down to 40 to 69 goals in three seasons. Coming back with a new team, I keep any expectations for Laine modest. He knows how to find the back of the net, at some point that should surface. Someone on 690 made a good point today, just having him out there should open up some ice for his linemates because is he a proven scorer that the other team has to be aware of.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I think Laine played center into camp last season and perhaps a few games at the start of the season. To me it means he's tried things to make the team better and there is no on-ice issue. He got unlucky with the injury.

Correct.

He offered to play C because CBJ had injuries and were low on centers. That experiment was ongoing but got cut off by injuries. His faceoffs needed work in my opinion.

As a position it still makes some sense for him. He really wants to be the dominant two way player and offensive creator instead of the winger who scores goal per game (that could be expected by watching him shoot).

Hopefully he finds a healthy medium there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad