Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
That a player that has shown massive consistency issues can be good 2 years in a row? Super pumped to get Laine but I'm very glad we have 2 years to make a decision.

Inconsistency can be on every player. Name me one player who is consistent in 82 games? None.

Even Suzuki, sometimes... he is truly invisible. But in general, we like his game.

We just want Laine to be happy with the team, produce 40 goals, make highlights, great passing play, great show with his hands.

The most important thing, it's if he revive his passion of hockey in MTL.

Reactions: bsl

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
The only risks with Laine are his health issues, both physical and mental, if both of those are truly behind him we've landed gold for nothing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his skillset or abilities, they haven't gone away.

Also I find it extremely unlikely he could hurt this locker room, if anything, it's the opposite, it's this locker room that's going to help Laine the most. It's of my opinion he couldn't have walked into a better situation for himself, with the group of guys we have here throughout, both teammates, coaches and management.

I didn't want Laine, that is to say, I didn't want to give up anything of value for him, but for free I could not be happier. If he wanted a clean slate, he'd be hardpressed to get a better one than this.

I am very optimistic about his new start in Montreal.

If it fails that will be on Patrik, he has everything he needs here to get back to where he wants to be.

Last edited:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Pumped to have him

Campaigned to get him
KH made the right call

Inconsistency can be on every player. Name me one player who is consistent in 82 games? None.

Even Suzuki, sometimes... he is truly invisible. But in general, we like his game.

We just want Laine to be happy with the team, produce 40 goals, make highlights, great passing play, great show with his hands.

When he rips picks on the net 🥅
All will see why I wanted him bad

PL, CC, Slaf, Demi

Habs have scoring now
2 lines....love it

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

He’s been inconsistent during his career. He’ll score a tons of goal one month and none the next. I expect these ups and downs. It’s especially marked because he’s as pure a goal scorer as you can get, and that he seems to beat himself down when he’s off.

Reactions: LeHab

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
When he rips picks on the net 🥅
All will see why I wanted him bad

PL, CC, Slaf, Demi

Habs have scoring now
2 lines....love it

Yes, he have better shot than Cole Caufield.

He is very eletric aswell. Very elite hands and skating.

His talent is incredible to watch... at 26 years being more mature and want a Cup?!?! Watch out!!

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Yes, he have better shot than Cole Caufield.

He is very eletric aswell. Very elite hands and skating.

His talent is incredible to watch... at 26 years being more mature and want a Cup?!?! Watch out!!
Can you infect me with your positivity. I need it for all areas of my life.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He’s been inconsistent during his career. He’ll score a tons of goal one month and none the next. I expect these ups and downs. It’s especially marked because he’s as pure a goal scorer as you can get, and that he seems to beat himself down when he’s off.

Yess, I agree. But it's a normal thing for a elite goalscorer. Even Ovy have some month no much goals in his career but finish his season with a fire number of goals.

Laine his problem when younger that if he can't score, he don't want shoot...

But at 26 years old with a better mental, I think he understand that if he don't score, he will not stop shooting.

Reactions: overlords

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Absolutelyyyyy

:naughty:

Then look at the stat line.

Look at his PPG...

View attachment 902442
Oh yeah, Pat iz alwayz injured and when he'z on the ice, he'z on the minus stats. His 9 goals of last year gave 10 goals for the opposite team, his 21 pts of 20-21 was minus 29 pts the other teams scored. I know, I know Clb s*cks and they are a toxic waste dump but, but ... maybe they s*cks because of players like Laine. Motus Operandi of an Habs fans like you, wink : always blame the other players and the entire team to discharge the player you like in a debate.

I can show you stats of Patrice Bergeron or any really great 2 way player and the stats shows plus, always plus. No one will argue they are not complete players, no one will argue they don't have the stuff that makes a team win the SC. No nhl coach will want them to be traded, when they have them, they wanna keep them.

But on the other hand I am happy cuz maybe Laine will start something new in his life, a breath of fresh air, the boost of Martin St-Louis, Caufield, Suzuki, Dach and Slaf. Maybe it's gonna work. I'm happy cuz something moved, I was thinking the Habs were a static thing untill Dvorak, Armia and Anderson, (and Gally) are moved out of the team. I was thinking the Habs were like uncle Michael when he was deeply sleeping after a night of drinking rye with tonic water, we might push him, kick him, yell to his face, nothing work, he was snoring like a diesel truck and he would wake up only when his body was ready.

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
At what price? he is going to be 28 by the end of his contract. He will ask for 6-7 years. Are you okay to sign him until his 35? If Laine can play great hockey. It will accelerate the rebuild.

i have no problem with resigning him at a good price. Kent has been very good at signing player. we had 0 bad contract under Kent.

Market will dictate his price. And yes i would be okay to sign him until 35YO. It is necessary to sign those type of deal when we are in a competitive window. Like the Leafs did with Tanev or TB with Guentzel or BOS with Lindholm.

Hopefully he is happy here and we can find a fair deal for every party involved.

I still fail to grasp how big it is that we have Laine. Peak Laine is incredibly elite.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
His last year in Winnipeg he had 28 goals and 35 assists, and his two good years in CLB were 26 goals + 30 assists and then 22 goals and 30 assists. So I'm not sure it's all that true that he's a pure goal scorer who doesn't produce when he isn't scoring goals.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Oh yeah, Pat iz alwayz injured and when he'z on the ice, he'z on the minus stats. His 9 goals of last year gave 10 goals for the opposite team, his 21 pts of 20-21 was minus 29 pts the other teams scored. I know, I know Clb s*cks and they are a toxic waste dump but, but ... maybe they s*cks because of players like Laine. Motus Operandi of an Habs fans like you, wink : always blame the other players and the entire team to discharge the player you like in a debate.

I can show you stats of Patrice Bergeron or any really great 2 way player and the stats shows plus, always plus. No one will argue they are not complete players, no one will argue they don't have the stuff that makes a team win the SC. No nhl coach will want them to be traded, when they have them, they wanna keep them.

But on the other hand I am happy cuz maybe Laine will start something new in his life, a breath of fresh air, the boost of Martin St-Louis, Caufield, Suzuki, Dach and Slaf. Maybe it's gonna work. I'm happy cuz something moved, I was thinking the Habs were a static thing untill Dvorak, Armia and Anderson, (and Gally) are moved out of the team. I was thinking the Habs were like uncle Michael when he was deeply sleeping after a night of drinking rye with tonic water, we might push him, kick him, yell to his face, nothing work, he was snoring like a diesel truck and he would wake up only when his body was ready.
Nick Suzuki has never had a season where he finished positive in +/-. Is he a bad player who a net negative on the team and one of the reasons the team has sucked?

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
His last year in Winnipeg he had 28 goals and 35 assists, and his two good years in CLB were 26 goals + 30 assists and then 22 goals and 30 assists. So I'm not sure it's all that true that he's a pure goal scorer who doesn't produce when he isn't scoring goals.
Sure, he had more assists in Columbus than in Winnipeg. In his time in Columbus, he was producing at a rate of 35 goals/ 82 games, yet he was criticized for his on-ice performance.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It is true lets not start being pure homer. He doesn't bring much if he's not shooting. He's not unlike Caufield.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Sure, he had more assists in Columbus than in Winnipeg. In his time in Columbus, he was producing at a rate of 35 goals/ 82 games, yet he was criticized for his on-ice performance.
The point is that he has shown he can be more then just a goal scorer, he's actually a pretty good playmaker too.
It is true lets not start being pure homer. He doesn't bring much if he's not shooting. He's not unlike Caufield.
Who incidentally also showed last year that he is more then just a goal scorer.

Obviously both guys are know for their shot but that doesn't mean that's all they have.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
It is true let’s not start being pure homer. He doesn't bring much if he's not shooting. He's not unlike Caufield.
Shooting and scoring goals is extremely important. That’s what Laine does. We’re deluding ourselves in thinking he’s great in everything else. That’s where Columbus went wrong. Let’s be honest in our expectations.

Reactions: Vachon23 and Mrb1p

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
The point is that he has shown he can be more then just a goal scorer, he's actually a pretty good playmaker too.

Who incidentally also showed last year that he is more then just a goal scorer.

Obviously both guys are know for their shot but that doesn't mean that's all they have.
As long as no one one expects “pretty good playmaker” to be anywhere close to Demidov and even Slafkovsky.

Reactions: Andrei79

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I have to believe, that with a relatively healthy roster, there’s possibly 4 30 plus goal scorers in our top 6 this year. No disrespect to Newhook or Dach as they could be in the mix too. I’m sure those 2 will be in the 20’s. Of course, injuries are a huge factor.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Even if someone is a 40 goal scorer, that means they are not scoring in at least 42 games.

Someone who is a 40 scorer is probably scoring a few multiple goal games. So that is easily 50 games without goals.

Other than the rare generation talents, goal scoring is streaky by nature. I think it all comes down to reasonable expectations.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
As long as no one one expects “pretty good playmaker” to be anywhere close to Demidov and even Slafkovsky.
I mean those two guys are potentially elite playmakers, and no Laine isn't an elite playmaker. But why are the only two options elite and bad?

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Don't talk me about of how much goals he'll scores for us!

I just wanna hear Pierre Houde say ''L'aine'' in the french way on RDs during the Habs Games!

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
"Floating" in a rigid system is very bad

Floating in MSL's fluid-non-system is much more tolerable.

It depends on how the five-man unit work off each other and what, dare I say, 'reads' they make. I won't pre-judge Laine until competitive games begin (which should be TOMORROW if you ask me. Get the season started already!!).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad