Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I think, the next guy who will make more than Suzuki will be Demidov. Except if Hughes and Gorton have another magic trick and trade for a huge player.

Will see, but at this moment, I'm super excited to get a talent like Patrik Laine, even with his struggles, he is right person to talk about difficulties to younger players.

He is ready to be a leader. His mentality is different and he want to win.
I completely agree man. I think this is where he will finally find a home. I have never been more optimistic as I am today about the future of our team.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I just can't imagine a scenario where Dvorak centers 2 of Gallagher, Armia and Anderson, unless you want a "prove yourself" line.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I just can't imagine a scenario where Dvorak centers 2 of Gallagher, Armia and Anderson, unless you want a "prove yourself" line.

Why not? They are the best fit for that type of line.

Next
KH trade Dvorak

Can't see him doing that - you'd be an injury away from forcing Newhook to be 3C or calling Beck up too early.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Put them all on the 4th line and give them all less than 10 mins. Rotate them with Pezzetta also. I've seen enough of them.

Reactions: Habs13

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I had to screenshot this

Since monday august 19th 2024, I'm in a goodou moodou

1724259406527.png

Bobby Holik agent

erudite free agency sci-fi
Oct 17, 2002
Montreal
My expectation:

YEARS 1:

- Best shot on the teams.
-PP1 with a focus on his bombmaking buisness.
-Atrocious defensively. 2nd liner with one guys on his line always busy doing all the dirty work.
-Laine, Dach, grinder.
-Seem to miss at least 15 games every years.
-His godlike cheatcode years was between 17 to 19 years old shooting at 18%. Nowadays dosen't hit 16%.
-With his shoulder injury and mental drama i'm gonna put him at 14%
-Dosen't shoot the puck enough like Austin Matthews does. Alaways had that problems.

60games - 25g - 34a = 59pts.

YEARS 2:

-upcoming UFA at 27, good stuff.
-it those kind of magical years Scott Gomez find a way to score 32 goals someway, somehow.
-Let say he's goes up to 17%.

67games - 39g - 47a = 86pts.

YEARS 3:
HE GONE. SIGN WITH THE DALLAS STARS.
3 sure things in life: death + tax + those momentary alive don't like being tax.

gg glhf bro.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: behemolari

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Laine wont be greedy. He went thru hell like Drouin if he is happy where he plays and thing goes well he'll probably accept between 6 and 7 millions a year. He made his money already.

If Laine goes around ppg, there's no way he's taking that low of a money. He's getting at least what Slaf/Suzuki/Caufield got, and probably more considering his next contract will only be buying ufa years.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I mean realistically where are you going to play Roy ? It's only a magical number in our heads, he's still going to play the same minutes and Dach is not going to do the heavy defensive lifting.

Slaf-Suzuki-Laine
Roy-Dach-Caufield

Perfect size, strength, shooting, speed blend.
Newhook will be put there before Roy,
That's just happening
And then next year Demidov replaces Newhook

Roy won't see top6 unless injuries or others shit the bed, sadly for him after the developments of this summer

Reactions: Habs10Habs and Eegs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Newhook will be put there before Roy,
That's just happening
And then next year Demidov replaces Newhook

Roy won't see top6 unless injuries or others shit the bed, sadly for him after the developments of this summer
Why is that? Roy and Dach are tailor Made for each other. He is exactly the type of player Dach can have success with. Newhook doesn't gel with anyone because he lacks IQ, he's a wild horse that you use in an exploitation line. He needs a lot less on a line and consequently brings less to a line than Roy.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Please stop pretending that this is playstation or ignoring the point . As has been alluded to a lot already (including some by me despite not "say[ing] what any of it is", there are risks that Laine could end up not being effective, be a a big drag on Montreal's cap picture and be a lot of real money tied up on a player that isn't effective (even if you don't care about actual money, it still matters).

some others are:

- Laine could hurt the locker locker room cohesion (he's been part of two organizations with widely reported locker room issues/drama).
- Laine could take opportunities away from Caufield because of similar shooting profiles without a major benefit.
-The L/R shot imbalance (Suzuki, Caufield, Laine, Newhook, Armia, Gallagher, Anderson and Evans are all right shots) could make balancing lines properly a challenge.

You don't care about most of the risks because you're a fan of the Montreal Canadiens, but that doesn't mean there's "nothing to lose". Montreal is specifically in a position where most of the risk is mitigated and the upside is significant, which is why the trade makes sense (and has always made sense), and why the competition for a Laine deal was almost non-existent.
This is some desperate grasping at straws here. "Laine could hurt locker room cohesion" xD
You understand these are grown professionals in a well managed organization with years of experience? This nonsense is like saying "Laine could bite Slav on the ankle and give him an infection! That's the risk." Or maybe "Laine coming in with fully developed huge legs could intimidate Hutson and his photoshopped legs so much he asks for a trade".

If Laine is a problem he just goes back on player assistance program and the team continues on without him or he's a scratch and his cap is still a non-issue. There is no risk to this trade, but keep clutching those pearls.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He’s UFA at the end of his contract, if he got his mojo back, he will ask more then those guys
And it's NP, we're already paying him 9M *now*, next contract is either 7.something if he's topping out at 65 points or 9.5-10M if he's scoring 40g+

Why are people talking like we're a financially struggling franchise all of a sudden lol?

Basically
This is like if Laine was a Free Agent and we just signed him to a 2yr 17.4M contract
Re-assess the Monies in 2 years (or 1)

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Why is that? Roy and Dach are tailor Made for each other. He is exactly the type of player Dach can have success with. Newhook doesn't gel with anyone because he lacks IQ, he's a wild horse that you use in an exploitation line. He needs a lot less on a line and consequently brings less to a line than Roy.
Well
We're gonna have to heavily disagree on all that bud

And I like Roy a *lot* too
But Newhook right now is a better player and more experienced
And will obviously be getting the crack at the top6 over the 21 yr old rookie

I know this because Newhook played all 55 of his games last year on our 2nd line lol
And in his 1 and only game with Dach : Scored 2 goals lol.

Pertaining to Laine tho
The question rly is does he ever get tried next to Suzuki
And, I personally feel you can never have Laine and Caufield on the same line
They must be kept on separate top6 lines

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Not sure I would be ready to sign him a long terme extension after only 1 year
Then, we will know he's not part of the core. Look at Guhle, Caufield and Slaf contracts. There is no waiting, no "well you should prove yourself"...

dauv

Sep 23, 2022
Slaf-Dach-Laine would be a line from Hell to contain. That would take a lot of pressure off of Suzuki-Caufield and Demidov when he arrives
Would a Slaf-Dach-Laine line be a modern day version of the legion of doom line? they would have the talent, not sure they have the mean streak to wreck havoc like the legion of doom line did though. What are guys thoughts

There’s going to come a time where they can no longer sign guys under Suzuki. By next summer the cap will have gone up by what? 8M? You could be right. But one of the next forward contracts will surpass him
i think they will use the % of the cap at the moment of signing to respect the Suzuki contract so there could be higher AAV but a lower % of the cap is how I think KH will negotiate. Obviously unless someone blows suzuki out of the water talent wise (Demidov or Laine)

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Would a Slaf-Dach-Laine line be a modern day version of the legion of doom line? they would have the talent, not sure they have the mean streak to wreck havoc like the legion of doom line did though. What are guys thoughts

i think they will use the % of the cap at the moment of signing to respect the Suzuki contract so there could be higher AAV but a lower % of the cap is how I think KH will negotiate. Obviously unless someone blows suzuki out of the water talent wise (Demidov or Laine)
I think in terms of a Legionnof Dolm
Line… it will be a possession monster. Maybe not mean. But impossible to contain

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad