Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
The key to Laine is Dach being healthy. A passer like Dach needs a shooter like Laine, and vice-versa. Alternatively, you play Caufield with Dach with the same great complimentary. Suzuki can play with anybody.
Slaf-Dach-Laine would be a line from Hell to contain. That would take a lot of pressure off of Suzuki-Caufield and Demidov when he arrives

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
There’s a lot of what will Laine do this year talk. Will he score 30-40 more?

I tell you that if all things go right, and he works closely with MSL and Adam Nicklaus, you’ll see a much different version of him. One that:
  • Cuts off opponents passes.
  • Backchecks .
Look for these things first before we start tallying all the goals to see how he’s really adapting and fitting into the team
Already does these two.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Didn't we lose like around 30 games last year by 1 goal?...I think over half our games was decided by just 1goal.

Adding Laine's fire power, you got to believe some of those 1goal loses would be wins.

I think Habs will be right there this year , playoffs would not surprise me.
Add to the fact that we didn’t even have a proper second line. Dach coming back healthy is the ace in the sleeve

That's my main concern as well. The core is in place up front, but we have just lost an experienced pairing with Harris and Kovacevic. Not sure if Hutson/Mailloux/Barron/Strubble are ready to replace them just yet.

But regardless, I love the trade and it had to be made. Just not sure if it would cause our D to be bad in the short term.
Harris was no more real experienced. Kovacevic… as much as he played a good simple game, he can easily be replaced. Struble had that potential… so does Engstrom if he has a good camp.

That trade reminds me of Kovalev. Buy low with oustanding prize.

I'm 100% confident that Laine will put massive numbers.

Dach - Laine will be a fun duo to watch next year (If they stay healthy) !!
Dach and Laine are a match made by the hockey gods

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I can easily see that.

At this moment, the best scenario it's that after 2 years with Habs, he will sign for 6 years (less than 8,7) and be with that group for many years to come.

This is not a "Monahan type of trade", I'm very sure that Hughes want to see Laine succeed right now and try to keep him for long time.
We’ll probably know as early as next summer what the intentions are once he is eligible for extension

Reactions: Habs10Habs

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If Laine puts up 35+ goals this season I see a 6x8 extension coming. Brings him to 33. 8 million a year will be very digestible in the coming years with the cap rising

I would be very sure that will be around 7 and 7,5. Laine isn't there for the money, he is there to win a Cup.

I don't think he will re-sign more AAV than Suzuki. Will see!

But if he stay healthy and produce like he really can, 6 years would be perfect!

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Laine wont be greedy. He went thru hell like Drouin if he is happy where he plays and thing goes well he'll probably accept between 6 and 7 millions a year. He made his money already.

Reactions: Habs514

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
If we had an adequate center for such tactics, on top of an actual other top-6er that it makes sense to play on the right wing of Newhook and Dach, I'd like to see a Wawa - xxxxx - Laine 3rd line. You dont want Dach on the 3rd line, Evans doesn't quite cut it for that role, Newhook is definitely more a winger, and Dvorak should be shot out of a cannon, not playing a regular shift, on top of not being really good as a playmaker. I don't think Roy - Dach - Laine can be a credible 2nd line (but we iced worst than this).

With Laine being obviously on the main PP.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I would be very sure that will be around 7 and 7,5. Laine isn't there for the money, he is there to win a Cup.

I don't think he will re-sign more AAV than Suzuki. Will see!

But if he stay healthy and produce like he really can, 6 years would be perfect!
There’s going to come a time where they can no longer sign guys under Suzuki. By next summer the cap will have gone up by what? 8M? You could be right. But one of the next forward contracts will surpass him

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If we had an adequate center for such tactics, on top of an actual other top-6er that it makes sense to play on the right wing of Newhook and Dach, I'd like to see a Wawa - xxxxx - Laine 3rd line. You dont want Dach on the 3rd line, Evans doesn't quite cut it for that role, Newhook is definitely more a winger, and Dvorak should be shot out of a cannon, not playing a regular shift, on top of not being really good as a playmaker. I don't think Roy - Dach - Laine can be a credible 2nd line (but we iced worst than this).

With Laine being obviously on the main PP.
Why can't Roy -Dach-Laine be a credible 2nd line ?

Mind you I'd rather have Caufield-Dach-Roy

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
There’s going to come a time where they can no longer sign guys under Suzuki. By next summer the cap will have gone up by what? 8M? You could be right. But one of the next forward contracts will surpass him

I think, the next guy who will make more than Suzuki will be Demidov. Except if Hughes and Gorton have another magic trick and trade for a huge player.

Will see, but at this moment, I'm super excited to get a talent like Patrik Laine, even with his struggles, he is right person to talk about difficulties to younger players.

He is ready to be a leader. His mentality is different and he want to win.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Why can't Roy -Dach-Laine be a credible 2nd line ?

Mind you I'd rather have Caufield-Dach-Roy
Roy is IMO a bit too green for the role he's be asked to play on that line.

I mean, it could work, but I wouldn't be at ease with deploying that line as a second line to start the season. Not saying they could not prove me wrong, mind you.

Then I guess you'd run a Slaf - Suzuki - Laine first line?

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
I wasn’t aware (before the trade) that there was some drama in the past with Laine vs Matthews, saw a flurry of insecure Toronto posts in the last day, should make those games more enjoyable :popcorn:
I think it all goes back to the "Laine's better" chants and the game where Laine sealed the comeback against Leafs, in which Matthews failed to convert a breakaway in OT leading to a counterattack by Laine who scored the hattrick completing OT-winner.

The most insecure ones can't stop themselves from commenting "remember when Laine was better than Matthews?" in any thread regarding Laine, be it here or reddit where the phenomenon is even worse.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Roy is IMO a bit too green for the role he's be asked to play on that line.

I mean, it could work, but I wouldn't be at ease with deploying that line as a second line to start the season. Not saying they could not prove me wrong, mind you.

Then I guess you'd run a Slaf - Suzuki - Laine first line?
I mean realistically where are you going to play Roy ? It's only a magical number in our heads, he's still going to play the same minutes and Dach is not going to do the heavy defensive lifting.

Slaf-Suzuki-Laine
Roy-Dach-Caufield

Perfect size, strength, shooting, speed blend.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Not quite the real thing, but I took these screenshots yesterday while we wait for camp.

9ksnnR0.png

V08V3uC.png

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I mean realistically where are you going to play Roy ? It's only a magical number in our heads, he's still going to play the same minutes and Dach is not going to do the heavy defensive lifting.

Slaf-Suzuki-Laine
Roy-Dach-Caufield

Perfect size, strength, shooting, speed blend.
For this season I’d absolutely put Roy in the top 6, or at the very least it’s his spot to lose.

I believe he’s got better potential in that role than Newhook.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Finally having some offense from more than only the 1st line. Depending on which Armia we have this year, I could see him on a line with Dach and Laine. Laine is pushing everyone in a better chair and our bottom 6 doesn't look bad at all.

There’s so many potential line options now.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Laine-Dach-Armia
Roy-Newhook-Gallagher

That’s a pretty balanced top-9 for next year. Then enter Demidov the follow year, wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad