Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I wonder what number he's going to go with. As far as I know, 29 is the only one he's ever had, even in his Tampere days and on the national team. 92 would look kinda ugly IMO, 26 maybe ?

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Also sends a message to the young core that we are trying to find ways to win. That's huge.
Absolutely. I was hoping to see some of the reactions from our current players.

If MSL puts together Laine - Dach - Slafkovsky

That's a 6'4 and above line of guys drafted 2-3-1 overall in the draft.

That's ridiculous that its even possible.
I'm usually against messing with a line that works (Caufield/Suzuki/Slafkovsky). But damn, that would be a fun line to consider.

B1g B1rd

Habs Best Def of all times
May 21, 2018
Just finished listening to his press conference.... Calm, smiling and articulate answers. I had the feeling he learned a lot and matured greatly in the past few years. If he can bring that new attitude to his hockey game, he's going to be a real plus for us, not only with the points (40-30 for me) but with his presence in the locker room and on the ice.

Also listened to Matt Perreault interview at la poche bleue. He played with him in WPG. Said he was loved in the room but was fragile mentally when things werent going his way. Laine touched on that during his presser, saying he was young and has learned how to handle thoise situations.

I'm optimistic. I think we will see a new Laine, more mature, ready to participate in a team effort rather than individualism performance.

What a move by the management team. Lets see now where this will push us in the standings.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Just finished listening to his press conference.... Calm, smiling and articulate answers. I had the feeling he learned a lot and matured greatly in the past few years. If he can bring that new attitude to his hockey game, he's going to be a real plus for us, not only with the points (40-30 for me) but with his presence in the locker room and on the ice.

Also listened to Matt Perreault interview at la poche bleue. He played with him in WPG. Said he was loved in the room but was fragile mentally when things werent going his way. Laine touched on that during his presser, saying he was young and has learned how to handle thoise situations.

I'm optimistic. I think we will see a new Laine, more mature, ready to participate in a team effort rather than individualism performance.

What a move by the management team. Lets see now where this will push us in the standings.

Spot on!

Laine is more matured player and person. His conference seems like a guy who is very happy to play for Habs and in Canada.

I have feeling that he will be a Habs for very long time!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

That's where having a vet like Perry or Pavelski or Giroux or Kane could've helped us. Gallagher has the same immaturity, armia is armia, Anderson has the leadership of a cashew.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
your're good Borrow is gone
Best news after Demidov this summer

That's where having a vet like Perry or Pavelski or Giroux or Kane could've helped us. Gallagher has the same immaturity, armia is armia, Anderson has the leadership of a cashew.
Don't disrespect cashews , they actually tastes good

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Are Habs under the cap with this trade? Or we have to make another move

We are technically ~2 million over but that includes price who will be on LTIR.

For day 1 of the season 2-3 of RHP, Roy, Hutson, and Struble will be sent down to laval on paper then Price will be placed on LTIR and they will then be called back up.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I would be ecstatic with a 30/30 season for Laine in 2024-2025 in a healthy season (75 + games). If he indeed stays healthy, it's a very realistic outcome imo.

What would be interesting is if he has that kind of season, how will Hugues deal with him starting next offseason. Do you give him an extension right away? Do you wait to see if he can stay healthy and sustain his production for a second season in a row, maybe risking having to pay him more on an extension? Do they trade him during next summer or at the next season TDL?

For me, you have to see if he can sustain healthy production for more than a season, particularly considering mental health issues that can follow ups and downs patterns. If he can sustain that kind of production for two seasons, i would be more than ok with giving him a 5-6 years extension at a reasonnable salary.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I am somewhat perplexed at how little respect they are receiving league wide. I think this team if they stay healthy will be vastly improved.

I'm excited for what Kent Hughes has built, and I do think we're about to start turning the corner. That said,

The whole team is a bunch of reclamation projects and young players/rookies starting from goalies to defense to forwards. Also half the top 6 (Laine, Newhook, Dach) has had significant injury issue last year (+ Newhook was in a crazy spot to succeed in Colorado and couldn't).

The very few established players like Suzuki and Caufield are good and shown flashes, but haven't shown to be superstars over a full year. A guy like Matheson had a career high of 31 pts before montreal and doubled it in 2 year at the age of 29...

On top of that you got a coach like MSL who's more of a glorified cheerleader (and doing great in that role) than a tactical coach focused on winning games. And competing in the Atlantic division where teams like Ottawa and Buffalo look ahead in terms of a rebuild, whether you agree or not.

That's just how it is. I think if the team can seriously challenge Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit this year (and I believe they can), it'll change the tune around the league.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Can we make paper move at end of camp?

Montreal's current cap projection has 23 players. 2-3 of Slaf, Roy, Guhle, Hutson, Struble (whether Roy, Hutson and Struble make the team or not) will be papered to the AHL as all are waivers exempt. Price will then be put on LTIR and Montreal will have an ample LTIR cap cushion to make moves and fit who they want.

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
In PL insta bio his first description is “NHL mental health advocate” he started a mental health based media instagram with his wife. He’s taking this initiative seriously and wants to make it his legacy going forward. Being Montreal Canadien can give him the reach he’s looking for right away. I expect him to be very excited and to have a great year.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
The way he comes across in interviews, I think he's a bit of a Dougie Hamilton type of guy. Just a bit "different" from your typical hockey player - a little more cerebral and soft spoken/introverted, and might not fit in with every group. With characters like St. Louis, Hughes and Suzuki leading the franchise, I think this place could be the fit.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think he's a bit of a Dougie Hamilton type of guy. Just a bit "different" from your typical hockey player - a little more cerebral and soft spoken/introverted, and might not fit in with every group. With characters like St. Louis, Hughes and Suzuki leading the franchise, I think this place could be the fit.
I see Laine as Stephane Richer type. Big time shot, size, decent wheels. But injury prone, with defense and mental issues. These kind usually have huge swings in their play.

It's good trade. Probably not enough to get in playoffs. Hurt our draft position though. Drafting 10-12 is likely gone.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Watching highlights of this guy, holy cow can he shoot the puck! What impresses me though is his skating. I didn't realize he was that good of a skater.

Really good speed. He have flash of Kovalchuk in NJ when he comes to back of his net and score a goal. Incredible hockey player when is healthy!!

This guy is a beauty to watch!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad