Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
My favorite aspect of this deal is it raises expectations for this season for basically zero risk. Either Laine rediscovers himself and we just got a stud for nothing or we let him walk in 2 years.

I couldn’t handle another tank year, hopefully we push for a playoff spot, I’m sick of losing and the core is in place.
Also sends a message to the young core that we are trying to find ways to win. That's huge.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
This sums it up for me. All of a sudden I'm believer in this guy's ability to bounce back to form.

The highlight packs that have been posted was all I needed to see.
Should we be using terminology like "bounce" back with a player with such a terrible history of injuries? Isn't it tempting fate?

• Haha
Reactions: Habs10Habs

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
If he is healthy he's 40/40+

He will be the best winger since Damphousse.

Most of his injuries are freak accidents so he's either unlucky in the past or unlucky forever. Time will tell.
If MSL puts together Laine - Dach - Slafkovsky

That's a 6'4 and above line of guys drafted 2-3-1 overall in the draft.

That's ridiculous that its even possible.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
With the addition of Laine how close to being legitimately able to compete for a playoff spot?
1 player? 2?
I think the road to the playoffs is now a possibility without the addition of another player.
The number 1 factor that will influence that possibility is player injuries.
Opening night,my lineup is ;

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Laine
Armia-Dvorak-Roy
Gallagher-Evans-Anderson

Pezzetta-ABB

Matheson-Ghule
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Barron

Struble
Monty-Primeau

The really weak point on that roster is probably Dvorak centering the 3rd line, and if I’m Hughes, I’m having a conversation with Pascal Vincent to make sure Beck gets every chance possible to tear it up in the AHL so I get a chance to move Dvorak at some point during the season.
Same with Mailloux and Reinbacher; get them to play in every possible situation; if they dominate in the AHL, Hughes gets another chance to fleece a fool at the trade deadline with any of Savard\Matheson.
Armia could be the joker hidden in my sleeve……the Guy had a great second half of season last year, and he’s now playing for a new contract; NHL players have a funny habit of really elevating their play when that happens.
Now the tough part for St-Louis will be to keep Gallagher and Anderson motivated on a 4th line…….that’s a whole other story…..Gallagher looked frustrated last year playing on a 3rd line, 4th line duty might be hard to swallow. But if that 4th line would accept their roles, it could be extremely effective.

That healthy lineup could get 92pts in the regular season, and squeeze into the playoffs.
We just need for the team to be ‘league-average’ games missed due to injuries, and I know that’s hard to imagine when we look in retrospect of the last few seasons.

For the first time in while, we might not be sellers at the trade deadline.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
The biggest question I have in mind right now is if we somehow resign him next year or if we get a haul at the deadline (if he stays healthy and plays well).

Imagine if he comes back to a 65 point-ish pace over the next year and a half and we retain on his salary at the TDL... We could potentially get a first, a prime prospect, a player and maybe more!

Of course, Laine could also suck for the next two years... But if he doesn't, it's going to be a hearth-wrenching moment when management finally decides what to do with him.

Time will tell, in the meantime, I think we are overdue for some sweet sweet snipes!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would have to dig into it a bit more but I believe we can still place Price on LTIR after the season starts. Even with adding Laine. Might start the season with a 21 or 22 man roster to get under with Price included. Then he is quickly moved to LTIR after the season starts.

Price's contract won't finish with the Habs. When the cap goes to $92M+ starting 25/26, the cap floor teams will want this contract IMO.

The biggest question I have in mind right now is if we somehow resign him next year or if we get a haul at the deadline (if he stays healthy and plays well).

Imagine if he comes back to a 65 point-ish pace over the next year and a half and we retain on his salary at the TDL... We could potentially get a first, a prime prospect, a player and maybe more!

Of course, Laine could also suck for the next two years... But if he doesn't, it's going to be a hearth-wrenching moment when management finally decides what to do with him.

Time will tell, in the meantime, I think we are overdue for some sweet sweet snipes!

Look at the Blue Jackets roster and then what Laine was sill able to produce. Then look at the talent Laine will play with on the Habs. He's going to rebound. Probability is high and he has lots of focus at making the right life decisions. He's in a good spot and he will have a good support system. Hughes/MSL/Suzuki will make sure of it.

This is not even close to Drouin coming to the Habs on an island by himself. Laine is coming to slide in with the talent we already have.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
We will wait to see if he can stays healthy, if he can rebecome what he was and if he fits with the teams before thinking about a 6 years extension with him

Yes. I agree. I just believe that Hughes and Gorton their plan with him, isn't the make his value better to trade him (like Monahan). They want to see him succeed for putting him in the core. Because if Laine stay healthy and have fun to play hockey, he will be a dangerous hockey player for many years to come.

I think that's the plan. They want him more than 2 years, but Laine need to stay healthy and play good hockey in the next 2 seasons.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Look at the Blue Jackets roster and then what Laine was sill able to produce. Then look at the talent Laine will play with on the Habs. He's going to rebound. Probability is high and he has lots of focus at making the right life decisions. He's in a good spot and he will have a good support system. Hughes/MSL/Suzuki will make sure of it.

This is not even close to Drouin coming to the Habs on an island by himself. Laine is coming to slide in with the talent we already have.

Yeah, I am confident that he should rebound if he stays healthy, physically and mentally.

My point was that I was already trying to predict what will boil down at the 2026 TDL... Do we keep him, extend him during the 2025 summer, get a massive haul by trading him with retention? Things are going to get spicy 🌶️

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012

You extend him with a smaller than 8.7 cap hit. The guy is 26, he fits our rebuild

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I`m confident he wants to succeed. I`mguessing 70-75p in 65-70gp. Then resigns for 5yrs x 6-6,5M

Reactions: Benstheman

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
If he puts up those numbers, Laine not going to take a haircut like that. He's at 8.7 now.
Doesnt really matter. Suzuki set the bar. No way Laine gets more than him. Iactually think its more about chance for success than money for Laine. He aint no party-animal. Doesnt even drink alcohol. Im betting he just wants to succeed.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Doesnt really matter. Suzuki set the bar. No way Laine gets more than him. Iactually think its more about chance for success than money for Laine. He aint no party-animal. Doesnt even drink alcohol. Im betting he just wants to succeed.
To be fair, Hugo has mentioned that Suzuki’s contract as the ceiling only applies to players coming off their entry level contract. It’s a different situation after that

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If Laine has good season he's not getting scalped like that. No way. He'd be crazy. That's losing 3-4 million a year for 7 years. He may have mental issues but he be nuts to sign

Reactions: Holystik

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, I am confident that he should rebound if he stays healthy, physically and mentally.

My point was that I was already trying to predict what will boil down at the 2026 TDL... Do we keep him, extend him during the 2025 summer, get a massive haul by trading him with retention? Things are going to get spicy 🌶️

Good problems to have. It's starting to really look nice for 25/26 with Demidov added and one more year of experience with our your D.

By the time Laine needs a new deal (26/27):
* Armia, Dvorak, Savard are gone ($11.35M in available cap)
* Gallagher and Anderson with one year left ($12M in available cap)
* Matheson is another $4.875M in available cap (if we trade or let him walk)
* Currently totals up to $28.2M in cap hits.

Players that likely need raises for 26/27:
* Dach, Laine, Newhook, Hutson, Xhekaj, Barron
* Currently totals up to $18.4M in cap

$46.6M in cap to extend Dach, Laine, Newhook, Hutson, Xhekaj, Barron. An average of $7.77M for each. There is flexibility there.

• Love
Reactions: Licou

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
The really weak point on that roster is probably Dvorak centering the 3rd line, and if I’m Hughes, I’m having a conversation with Pascal Vincent to make sure Beck gets every chance possible to tear it up in the AHL so I get a chance to move Dvorak at some point during the season.
Same with Mailloux and Reinbacher; get them to play in every possible situation; if they dominate in the AHL, Hughes gets another chance to fleece a fool at the trade deadline with any of Savard\Matheson.
Armia could be the joker hidden in my sleeve……the Guy had a great second half of season last year, and he’s now playing for a new contract; NHL players have a funny habit of really elevating their play when that happens.
I don't know if it would be worth redoing the 3rd line that did great at the end of the year (Armia - Newhook - Gallagher). That could increase the value of Armia for a trade at the deadline to make room for younger players.

In that case, it means you start with Roy on the 2nd line to see what he's got.

And you have both Evans and Dvorak on the 4th line, to take defensive faceoffs so you have a backup if one is kicked out.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Welcome Laine!

1724158888314.png

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
You extend him with a smaller than 8.7 cap hit. The guy is 26, he fits our rebuild

Yes, he fits perfectly in the core. When healthy, this guy is dangerous.

I'm even more excited by this trade than the signing of Radulov out of KHL to join Habs.

Laine have literally Kovalchuk upside, like Kovalchuk joining NJ, he was become a better two-way player with NJ than his time with Atlanta. Laine can become better at defensive zone with Habs aswell and Kovalchuk was been 26 years old aswell when joining NJ!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad