Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Of course Habs know whether injury is serious or not. They have an entire staff of people dedicated to this one job. The timing of announcement indicates nothing. They know they will receive thousands of inquiries, so need to make sure information is complete and accurate. They also need to coordinate with player and staff. Probably if its bad news they need to mobilize a mental health team and have a plan of action. They will also need to answer questions about the collision itself and whether it was legal or not. If its good news, they probably need to make sure its confirmed multiple times before announcing to the public. This is a lot of work.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Oh yeah, let's keep picking high instead of going for it so that we can finally maybe be good 6 years into Suzuki/Caufield/Slafkovsky's contracts. I'm sure they will be happy to be losers all through their 20's. Won't have a bad effect on their careers at all.
It's actually sillier than this. Unwillingness to accept gradual progress. They want to jump from bottom 5 to top 5 in one year like our team can be activated and disactivated at will. Sorry to report there will be a few transition years between bottom to top 5 in which we will not be drafting high, nor be in contention for cup.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Oh yeah, let's keep picking high instead of going for it so that we can finally maybe be good 6 years into Suzuki/Caufield/Slafkovsky's contracts. I'm sure they will be happy to be losers all through their 20's. Won't have a bad effect on their careers at all.

Again, more infantile exagerations. More reductions. One or two more years of mediocre to bad results won't derail their careers.

Being overused and getting injuries because of a lack of depth would though. And you can't fix that lack of depth without adding a lot of talent and living with the growing pains, and that includes a period of mediocre to bad results.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Don't try in life? Don't take chances? Don't do your job?

I agree about the Demidov/Dach scenerio, but this is a trade you want you your GM making 10/10, and gets an asset for it too.

This Laine experiment is far from over in Montreal, and maybe this experience for Laine makes him a stronger version of himself, a hungrier version, a more mentally strong human...Maybe this teaches Laine a lesson he needed to learn?

But teaches Hughes a lesson?! I certainly hope not.
Forever tankers have this weird mentality, just one more year, it never ends. Perpetual garbage hockey because you might just get that "guy" in the draft.

I can't wrap my head around some of the bizarre comments on here. This could be a good lesson, we can play Kap, or the most bizarre of them all, its probably best because if he scored 40 he will want big money on his next contract.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
So we all assume that it’ll play out like last years Dach hit and Laine will be out the whole season. In 7 minutes, At 10:30, we’ll find out. Anything less than a full season is unexpected good news. Tik tok

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Again, more infantile exagerations. More reductions. One or two more years of mediocre to bad results won't derail their careers.

Being overused and getting injuries because of a lack of depth would though. And you can't fix that lack of depth without adding a lot of talent and living with the growing pains, and that includes a period of mediocre to bad results.
Part of this includes a number of years where they aren't a top team and they aren't a bottom team. That's where we are now. It's not going to be another 2 bad years followed by contention. Every year you add to this tanking shit means pushing the window out another 2-3.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Embarrassing take.....expected injury lol
Why it would be embarrassing? Ir's not like i am happy he got injured or anything. I am just being a realist. Laine has a long list of injuries and hasn't played more than 60 games since before Covid.
If Laine wasn't so fragile, Columbus would have never paid us to take him.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Forever tankers have this weird mentality, just one more year, it never ends. Perpetual garbage hockey because you might just get that "guy" in the draft.
just one more tank bro. i promise bro just one more tank and it'll fix everything bro. bro. just one more tank. please just one more. one more tank and we can this whole problem bro. bro cmon just give me one more tank i promise bro. bro bro please i just need one more more tank

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
The team is still trending in the right direction. At one point (probably next year with Demidov coming over) Hughes will have to make a move to win now, but in the meantime, there is not much we can do but be patient and appreciate the few talented players we do have, which is still more than the last Bergevin years(Some people seem to miss the Bergy type patchwork).

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Its also better to announce good news Monday to Thursday and bad news Friday to Sunday.

Speculating on the timing is either unsubstantiated optimism (if you think it means good news) or a form of self-flagellation (if you think its bad news).
Nah. Just was answering the question of the twitter guy.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
just one more tank bro. i promise bro just one more tank and it'll fix everything bro. bro. just one more tank. please just one more. one more tank and we can this whole problem bro. bro cmon just give me one more tank i promise bro. bro bro please i just need one more more tank
1727706984863.gif

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't even know what you're trying to say. Every single cup winner aside from the Golden Knights and Bruins are the result of tanking.
This is entirely false and can be (and I have several times) debunked quite easily.

ANY team that wins the Cup, is built by MANY different avenues.

Example:

Yes the Caps tanked to get Ovechkin and Backstrom…but they didn't win the Cup until they drafted

- John Carlson
- Tom Wilson
- Brayden Holtby
- Evegent Kuznetsov
- Dmitri Orlov

(none of these players were drafted in top 15)

Traded for

- TJ Oshie
- Lars Eller
- Matt Niskanen

Its quite easy, see lazy, to just ignore all of those key players who came AFTER the Caps tanked and drafted Ovechkin and Backstrom and were instrumental in the latter 2 finally winning their one and only Cup (after multiple years of failing).

But some folks base their opinions on “feelings”. You for exammple.

I prefer basing my opinion on FACTS.

There isn't a SINGLE way to win a Cup, of course it helps to get lucky to draft a generational player, but that's far from a guarantee and its never proven to be enough on its own.

You can look at how the Hawks were built when they won, or the Kings and even the Penguins.

But I doubt that will stop you from parroting that lazy narrative that teams win BECAUSE of tanking.

Hell the Oilers have drafted two of the best players of our generation (McDavid/Draisaitl) and the closest they've got to winning a Cup was this past year and that was AFTER they made SEVERAL signings/trades (Hyman, Ekholm).

Yawn

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Always one more tank...

1727707808217.png

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Part of this includes a number of years where they aren't a top team and they aren't a bottom team. That's where we are now. It's not going to be another 2 bad years followed by contention. Every year you add to this tanking shit means pushing the window out another 2-3.

Don't know how good you are with math, but adding one year doesn't add 2-3 years of wait. Adding one year of tanking adds one year of a growth window to the window that was already there. One year adds one year. Simple, right?

The thing in all of this, is that if you look at other teams that went through rebuilds, a period of stagnation is almost unavoidable because young players get added incremenantly and teams can't avoid the ebbs and flow of development.

You can cry and pull your hair out with vigorous discontent, the team will only output to the degree of development it has reached, and as of now, we still don't have the depth nor talent to compete for a playoff spot. Sure, if everything went perfect, we might reach the playoffs, but that level of luck only comes around every so often and is probably followed by a step back the following season, and as we've seen, it still only takes one central player going down to flip the script. It's a testament to our lack of depth and a foreshadowing of the long road ahead before this team actually gets competitive.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's actually sillier than this. Unwillingness to accept gradual progress. They want to jump from bottom 5 to top 5 in one year like our team can be activated and disactivated at will. Sorry to report there will be a few transition years between bottom to top 5 in which we will not be drafting high, nor be in contention for cup.
They said they wanted to be in the mix..................said nothing about being top 5.
Being in the mix for a wildcard playoff spot is middle of the pack of the entire league......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad