Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think they are going to try

Matheson/Hutson at the point
Laine in Ovis office
Caufield in the bumper
Slaf on the right half wall/rotating with Suzuki
Suzuki behind the net/rotating with Slaf
I think we'll hopefully see a lot of movement and switching but yeah those are likely the ideal spots. Though I think Suzuki will end up high in the zone like he usually does.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I think we'll hopefully see a lot of movement and switching but yeah those are likely the ideal spots. Though I think Suzuki will end up high in the zone like he usually does.

In reality I expect everyone to essentially be floating/moving expect maybe Laine. He can sit in his office and rip pucks. I'm fine with that.

Reactions: Habssince89

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Imagine there's reasons he never played Laine on top line. Defense issues I would guess

That reason was Blake Wheeler, the captain. At the start of the rookie season Laine got to play with Scheifele in the first line. They were one of the best lines in the league. . Once Little was back from injury they moved Wheeler to 1st line and Laine to 2nd line with Little. The offense dried up. Both for the first line and Laine. Laine with Scheifele and Ehlers or Perreault were much more productive lines than any line with Wheeler in them, but he had a position in the team to demand playing with Scheifele.

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
He knows what’s up heading into the season. Everything is setup for him to succeed and he looks ready to take this opportunity and run with it.
I just hope he doesn't radulov us. I think that would bother me more than if he never returns to form.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I think they are going to try

Matheson/Hutson at the point
Laine in Ovis office
Caufield in the bumper
Slaf on the right half wall/rotating with Suzuki
Suzuki behind the net/rotating with Slaf
Last season we saw a lot of:
CC
Suzuki - Newhook - Slaf
Matheson

CC and Suzuki switched on the fly here and there but, mostly, suzuki quarterbacked from the 1/2 wall.

I think they’ll go:
Slaf
Laine - CC - Suzuki
Matheson

They need Suzuki quarterbacking - this time from the right side. Between him and Slaf, they can feed the 2 shooters. Suzuki has a nice shot from there, as we’ve seen, if the D key on the cc/laine.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
CC
Suzuki - Newhook - Slaf
Matheson

CC and Suzuki switched on the fly here and there but, mostly, suzuki quarterbacked from the 1/2 wall.

I think they’ll go:
Slaf
Laine - CC - Suzuki
Matheson

They need Suzuki quarterbacking - this time from the right side. Between him and Slaf, they can feed the 2 shooters. Suzuki has a nice shot from there, as we’ve seen, if the D key on the cc/laine.

From what I saw last year, the pp was at it's best when there was unpredictable motion, players moving in and out of various spaces in the o-zone. Hiyson's movement should help with whatever unit he's on. So will perhaps Suzuki roaming, Dach being utilized the right way, and Laine's shot, as well as his own abilities with the puck.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
From what I saw last year, the pp was at it's best when there was unpredictable motion, players moving in and out of various spaces in the o-zone. Hiyson's movement should help with whatever unit he's on. So will perhaps Suzuki roaming, Dach being utilized the right way, and Laine's shot, as well as his own abilities with the puck.
I’m looking forward to seeing Hutson on the PP. chaos.

I wonder if they’ll get him started on PP2 and leave Matheson on PP1.
Suzuki continues to QB PP1, and Hutson PP2? Then gradually work Hutson into PP1.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Suzuki continues to QB PP1, and Hutson PP2? Then gradually work Hutson into PP1.
Yes, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. The 2nd unit should be good too, especially next year when Demidov arrives.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It’s so funny. I was thinking about how Slaf and Demidov are just two amazing forward prospects/20 and under guys. And then marvelling that we still had Suzuki, Caufield and Dach. Completely forgetting we had Laine lolololol.

I know people are excited but many are still somewhat cautious and that’s fine. But that’s the top 6/9 of a potential powerhouse of a team. That’s a dump truck of talent

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

I would get Hutson on PP1 as quick as possible. Not only is he more dynamic with the puck than matheson, but MM coughs up A LOT of pucks at the blue line.

It’s so funny. I was thinking about how Slaf and Demidov are just two amazing forward prospects/20 and under guys. And then marvelling that we still had Suzuki, Caufield and Dach. Completely forgetting we had Laine lolololol.

I know people are excited but many are still somewhat cautious and that’s fine. But that’s the top 6/9 of a potential powerhouse of a team. That’s a dump truck of talent
Crazy to think where we were at the end of MBs tenure versus now. “This isn’t PlayStation “ “ trades are hard to get a center”. MB says that and Hughes goes off and gets us Newhook-Dach-Laine in two seasons. What a time to be a Habs fan!!

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Personally I’m cautious because we don’t how good many of those players will be and we don’t know if everything is gonna glue and we will become a powerhouse or it’s gonna stagne like Ottawa and Buffalo

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Personally I’m cautious because we don’t how good many of those players will be and we don’t know if everything is gonna glue and we will become a powerhouse or it’s gonna stagne like Ottawa and Buffalo

I'm excited because of the sheer number of good pieces Hughes has added over year.

2022: Monahan, Dach, Matheson, Slaf, Hutson, Beck, Engstrom, Barron, Mesar, Heineman
2023: Newhook, Reinbacher, Fowler, Bogdan
2024: Laine, Demidov, Hage (via Monahan)

Can he keep adding a player and at least two really good prospects per summer?

Reactions: calder candidate

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
I laughed at desharnais for a while. But one thing he could do is get the puck and set up pacioretty up high. I think Laine would be at his best if his wingers just set him up 3 to 4 times a game.

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
CC
Suzuki - Newhook - Slaf
Matheson

I think they’ll go:
Slaf
Laine - CC - Suzuki
Matheson

Thats a good setup actually. They would play more on the right side. Every team has a favourite side. The guy on the goal line needs to have his blade the furthest away from the net. In our case, a lefty is needed. Easier to pass it backdoor or onetimer on the left side. Easier to pass it to the bumper as well. The bumper needs to be a righty for the one-timer coming from the goal line or the h mark.

I would like to see Dach in the bumper. It is a crucial position and I always found we didnt use it enough to shrink the diamond a bit, opened passing lanes or even shot from the middle, but thats an art playing there. See Brayden Point for example.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

A little better than the Davey Deshanais days eh............no fault of Davey's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad