Value of: Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

olli

Most unbiased user
Dec 2, 2016
Canada
I'd love him on Detroit, but as a buy low sort of trade, so probably nothing you are looking for.
Berggren, Sprong + a 2nd round pick. Hell, I'd even throw in Patrick Kane and personally drive him to C-bus.
You’d throw in Kane at 2.75 million for Laine at over 8 million??

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I have thought about this a lot. I think the ideal fit for Laine is Carolina and it works for both sides.

Carolina is an elite defensive team that is uniquely in a position to insulate Laine by having him on the ice with 4 good defensively sound and puck possession players on the ice with him at all time, covering for two of his biggest flaws that limit his effective. Carolina on the other hand while having great possession numbers lacks that one guy who can just score on shot. Laine fills that hole for them and they can afford to sacrifice some of that D in order to get scoring.

The Staal line for example has a cartoonish 70%+ expected goals, if you throw Laine on there maybe the xGoals drop to 55-60% but you score a lot more actual goals. It would help eliminate the 45 SoG 1 goal Carolina games.

Here would be the trade:

To Carolina:

Laine at 20% retained (Cap hit to Carolina $6.96 million)

To Columbus

Carolina 2024 1st round Pick
Flyers 2024 2nd round Pick
Jack Drury
Brent Burns
(to make the cap work and CBJ can flip him for picks at the deadline or keep him, he's still a pretty good player)

Carolina gets an elite goalscorer who can help for 3 years at an affordable discounted caphit. Columbus gets some good futures.

The only concern if Rod Brind'amor would provide accommodation for Laine knowing that he is not gonna play impeccably defensively or go by the book to their system but will score. Rod seems like a bit of a hardass so not sure if he will be down for it.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I have thought about this a lot. I think the ideal fit for Laine is Carolina and it works for both sides.

Carolina is an elite defensive team that is uniquely in a position to insulate Laine by having him on the ice with 4 good defensively sound and puck possession players on the ice with him at all time, covering for two of his biggest flaws that limit his effective. Carolina on the other hand while having great possession numbers lacks that one guy who can just score on shot. Laine fills that hole for them and they can afford to sacrifice some of that D in order to get scoring.

The Staal line for example has a cartoonish 70%+ expected goals, if you throw Laine on there maybe the xGoals drop to 55-60% but you score a lot more actual goals. It would help eliminate the 45 SoG 1 goal Carolina games.

Here would be the trade:

To Carolina:

To Columbus

Jack Drury
Brent Burns
(to make the cap work and CBJ can flip him for picks at the deadline or keep him, he's still a pretty good player)

Carolina gets an elite goalscorer who can help for 3 years at an affordable discounted caphit. Columbus gets some good futures.

The only concern if Rod Brind'amor would provide accommodation for Laine knowing that he is not gonna play impeccably defensively or go by the book to their system but will score. Rod seems like a bit of a hardass so not sure if he will be down for it.
The issue is that Columbus already has a lot of blue chip prospects and a lack of quality veteran players, so ideally I’d like to see another roster player like Necas back (other pieces could be discussed obviously)

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
The issue is that Columbus already has a lot of blue chip prospects and a lack of quality veteran players, so ideally I’d like to see another roster player like Necas back (other pieces could be discussed obviously)

Don't have to use those picks to draft, they can be used to acquire a roster player.

Last edited:

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Very hard to move Laine with his cap hit, as he brings almost nothing to the table as far as his game goes. Not even scoring. No way any team is giving valuable futures or prospects for such. So he could be moved for another bad value contract but that's about it. As I have predicted, he is on his way out of the league, should be gone by 2025.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Very hard to move Laine with his cap hit, as he brings almost nothing to the table as far as his game goes. Not even scoring. As I have predicted, he is on his way out of the league, should be gone by 2025.
That would be deeply concerning, considering he’s signed until 2026.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Laine needs to turn things around in Columbus. Not getting good value in a trade.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Laine got friends :
Ehlers (does Laine want to return there ?)
Barkov (How Florida can manage cap if they want him?)
Rantanen ( Colorado have cap space when Girard will be on LTIR but does they want him?)
Aho (Carolina can easily get him they can create cap space and have assets to acquire him)

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Laine got friends :
Ehlers (does Laine want to return there ?)
Barkov (How Florida can manage cap if they want him?)
Rantanen ( Colorado have cap space when Girard will be on LTIR but does they want him?)
Aho (Carolina can easily get him they can create cap space and have assets to acquire him)

Laine reportedly want a long term deal in Winnipeg, but TBH I don't think the Jets would want him back and didn't offer him any long term deal.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Here would be the trade:

To Carolina:

To Columbus

Jack Drury
Brent Burns

Interesting thought. A couple problems though. Brind'Amour has a team that works its ass off every night. Yes they could use more scoring but adding a player hanging out on the perimeter waiting on a one timer doesn't seem to be a good fit. Second Burns has one of the most restrictive NTC in the league, where he can submit a list of 3 teams he can be traded to. What do you think the chances Columbus is one of those 3 teams?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad