Value of: Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I’d love to have Laine back in Winnipeg but it would also be a buy-low type of deal, which isn’t likely. I don’t think we really have a player that needs the scenery change like Laine does (other than Schmidt, which doesn’t work), and cap is an issue. I still hope for the best for the guy, he’s such an exciting player when he’s on.

Reactions: Marioesque

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I’d love to have Laine back in Winnipeg but it would also be a buy-low type of deal, which isn’t likely. I don’t think we really have a player that needs the scenery change like Laine does (other than Schmidt, which doesn’t work), and cap is an issue. I still hope for the best for the guy, he’s such an exciting player when he’s on.
I would hate for the Jets to take Laine back. The Jets are working on playing a team game and its been successful. Laine has zero interest in a team game.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I would hate for the Jets to take Laine back. The Jets are working on playing a team game and it’s been successful. Laine has zero interest in a team game.

Agreed, zero interest in Laine from me as well for many reasons

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Laine seems to be one of those guys who just never takes that next step as was expected from him. Always an enticing piece based on potential, yet never hits it. Not sure if this is the finished product or if he has more to give in a different situation.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
It's fascinating how fans' perception of their team's players may change over time (this is not directed specifically at you ViD).

When Laine was signed for 4 years, there were many who thought the term was good or too short. I would have preferred trading, or if you couldn't find a good trade partner, signing him to a max 2-3 year deal that would have kept him more tradable while also giving him a chance to prove if he's worth locking up for more years.

Perception has only changed for like few weeks, Until he got a concussion, his perception was a PPG player in Columbus. Reading this thread, it seems that folks think he's played like shit in Columbus. Not the case. Really just after the concussion.

If I were Columbus I'd only be looking for a 1-1 trade. Would have little interest in futures. I like the Necas idea that someone brought up, but I wouldn't be adding anything significant.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Perception has only changed for like few weeks, Until he got a concussion, his perception was a PPG player in Columbus. Reading this thread, it seems that folks think he's played like shit in Columbus. Not the case. Really just after the concussion.

If I were Columbus I'd only be looking for a 1-1 trade. Would have little interest in futures. I like the Necas idea that someone brought up, but I wouldn't be adding anything significant.
Perception does not reflect reality. He's been a PPG player once in his career

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I would hate for the Jets to take Laine back. The Jets are working on playing a team game and its been successful. Laine has zero interest in a team game.
The Jets requiring Laine after finally ridding themselves of his and PLD's drama

sheep-rescue.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Perception does not reflect reality. He's been a PPG player once in his career

In the two years preceding this one he had 108 pts in 111 games. Call that whatever you wish.

You certainly wouldn't get the impression reading this thread that this player would be capable of such numbers. This thread reads more like it's about a player who scored 50-70 pts in those 111 games.

Reactions: Napoli

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
In the two years preceding this one he had 108 pts in 111 games. Call that whatever you wish.

You certainly wouldn't get the impression reading this thread that this player would be capable of such numbers. This thread reads more like it's about a player who scored 50-70 pts in those 111 games.
You do know that as players get older their play only declines right? For every example you try to offer up, I'll give you a dozen that says otherwise. But thanks for reminding us that he's also going to miss a 1/4 of the season wasting his 8.7m cap hit

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You do know that as players get older their play only declines right? For every example you try to offer up, I'll give you a dozen that says otherwise. But thanks for reminding us that he's also going to miss a 1/4 of the season wasting his 8.7m cap hit

This is such a lazy attempt at changing the subject. Anyone reading our posts would understand that.

I don't know what his age has to do with any of this. He's 25. Did you think he was 30? Laine being injury prone is fair game for his value, if that's what you want to talk about and drop the complaints about his scoring pace in the preceding seasons, then that's fair.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The term 'fair value' is very open-ended. Laine on an ELC would have value because he's cheap but Laine making 8.7M for the next 4 years until he's a UFA does not have value. If anything, you could argue he's overpaid.

My question to you is how much value do you place in a 8.7M one dimensional 50-60 point player?

You'll get about the equivalent of an overpaid 50 point player back - maybe less points with a lower cap hit. He's not exactly valuable on the market.

Reactions: HabsAddict

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
The term 'fair value' is very open-ended. Laine on an ELC would have value because he's cheap but Laine making 8.7M for the next 4 years until he's a UFA does not have value. If anything, you could argue he's overpaid.

My question to you is how much value do you place in a 8.7M one dimensional 50-60 point player?

You'll get about the equivalent of an overpaid 50 point player back - maybe less points with a lower cap hit. He's not exactly valuable on the market.
Which is why this thread is pointless.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Now is not the time for this

Not at all. He's playing 3rd line minutes with Fantilli and Danforth, after coming back from concussion and is on the wrong side on the PP, on the point. His current utilization doesn't put him in any position to put up big numbers. He still has 2 goals in last 3 games, because even from the wrong side on PP he is still capable. That line could use more minutes.

No sense in getting rid of assets at their lowest values. If they fix the PP, that will inflate Laine's effect on the scoring. That might be a better time to "sell". But if they fix the PP and have that shot fed on the left side, then there will be less reasons to even consider trading him. Let him and Fantilli cook, they started with airfryer so there's ways to go.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Feel like Preds would be interested. He fits in our current retool timeline, we have a ton of cap, and he'd get good ice time.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
The Jets requiring Laine after finally ridding themselves of his and PLD's drama

View attachment 777290
I’ve watched this gif like 50 times for some reason and am trying to make sense of this sheep/lamb. Is it intentional? Does he pull it out by the tail? Is it trying to hide or just dumb? Sometimes I think it would be cool to be a shepherd

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I know he doesn't have a lot of fans here but I'd also take him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad