Value of: Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Wanted to gauge any interest across the league to see who might be willing to acquire a former 2nd overall pick Laine.

He’s got 2 more years on his contract with a cap hit of $8.7m.

Personally, I’d like Columbus to get another roster player of a similar stature - youngish winger or center that might be slightly overpaid and need a change of scenery.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I'd love him on Detroit, but as a buy low sort of trade, so probably nothing you are looking for.
Berggren, Sprong + a 2nd round pick. Hell, I'd even throw in Patrick Kane and personally drive him to C-bus.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
What would CBJ add to Laine to get Necas from Carolina?

Necas has repeatedly said he wants to play center and could probably pull it off in the nhl but coach RBA won't give him a shot over his better 2 way centers.

Carolina is also heavy on playmakers and could use a finisher.

The problem is Necas makes 5m less than Laine and Laine hasn't been scoring prolifically or healthy the least few seasons.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
What do y’all think his value is at the moment? (Not saying he’s getting traded)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Its at the point he and Columbus has to figure it out. They wont get nearly enough in a deal. But I also dont trust Vincent to get the best out of him.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
What would CBJ add to Laine to get Necas from Carolina?

Necas has repeatedly said he wants to play center and could probably pull it off in the nhl but coach RBA won't give him a shot over his better 2 way centers.

Carolina is also heavy on playmakers and could use a finisher.

The problem is Necas makes 5m less than Laine and Laine hasn't been scoring prolifically or healthy the least few seasons.
What does Carolina have to add to Necas to make the $ work?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The big reason Columbus would like a trade, is the same reason no one would want Laine right now. He's struggling coming off of a concussion. He has scored in back to back games but is just playing like a mess.

In the preceding two years he was roughly point per game (largely through 5v5 scoring), so I do think there might be some interest once he gets back to feeling good. If he scores at 5v5 like he did in the last couple years and scores at 5v4 like he did in Winnipeg then that's a ton of scoring.

And it might make sense for Columbus to make a trade then. They have so many young scorers coming up with fantastic shooting ability. Chinakhov, Fantilli, etc... they need opportunity.

Reactions: hn777

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Garland is a youngish winger or center that might be slightly overpaid and need a change of scenery, and I'd love Laine in Van...!

Reactions: Lackhalak

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Terrible time to try to move him. He's still not right after the cheapshot to the head. He's not handling the puck well and his decisions have taken a step back. He's been great in the room by all accounts but he's simply a mess in his game right now. Columbus will hold on to him rather than take pennies on the dollar. Ultimately, he's playing like a cap dump right now and that should not be the case as he's actually played pretty well the prior two years - when not injured.... :(

Reactions: hn777

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
It's fascinating how fans' perception of their team's players may change over time (this is not directed specifically at you ViD).

When Laine was signed for 4 years, there were many who thought the term was good or too short. I would have preferred trading, or if you couldn't find a good trade partner, signing him to a max 2-3 year deal that would have kept him more tradable while also giving him a chance to prove if he's worth locking up for more years.

Now as his value is at an all-time low, some of those same people who liked that extension want to move him? I really don't get it.

I think that the Jackets are in a situation where -- instead of moving an overpaid veteran -- it might be smart to move at least one of their young ELC forwards that have question marks in their game but are also gifted and viewed as potential top-6 forwards.

If you re-sign Johnson, Bemstrom, Marchenko, Texier, Sillinger and Chinakhov and decide to keep them all beyond next offseason, most likely some of them will experience a drop in value eventually. There are only so much lineup spots and ice time.

Pending RFAs I would try to sign to long-term extensions: Marchenko, Texier

Pending RFAs I would be open to trading if offer is fair: Johnson, Sillinger

Pending RFAs I would actively try to move for a fair return (picks, prospects): Chinakhov, Bemstrom

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's fascinating how fans' perception of their team's players may change over time (this is not directed specifically at you ViD).

When Laine was signed for 4 years, there were many who thought the term was good or too short. I would have preferred trading, or if you couldn't find a good trade partner, signing him to a max 2-3 year deal that would have kept him more tradable while also giving him a chance to prove if he's worth locking up for more years.

Now as his value is at an all-time low, some of those same people who liked that extension want to move him? I really don't get it.

I think that the Jackets are in a situation where -- instead of moving an overpaid veteran -- it might be smart to move at least one of their young ELC forwards that have question marks in their game but are also gifted and viewed as potential top-6 forwards.

If you re-sign Johnson, Bemstrom, Marchenko, Texier, Sillinger and Chinakhov and decide to keep them all beyond next offseason, most likely some of them will experience a drop in value eventually. There are only so much lineup spots and ice time.

Pending RFAs I would try to sign to long-term extensions: Marchenko, Texier

Pending RFAs I would be open to trading if offer is fair: Johnson, Sillinger

Pending RFAs I would actively try to move for a fair return (picks, prospects): Chinakhov, Bemstrom

- I don't care so much about getting trade value. The Jackets franchise has loads of player value. The important thing at this point is having the right players in place.

- I don't think we know who the best young players are going to be in a few years. It could be Chinakhov or Johnson for all we know.

- I generally skew towards keeping at least a minimum of veterans, but the hard working consistent type like Danforth and Jenner. Inconsistent veterans don't help.

- A Laine trade would be fine with me, value be damned.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
- I don't care so much about getting trade value. The Jackets franchise has loads of player value. The important thing at this point is having the right players in place.
Not sure what you mean by this. For me, "right players" are those who fill needs of the team and help them to become a SC contender. I don't think all answers to the center depth problem, for example, will be found from the organisation alone, we need to look elsewhere to fix that.

I tend to think that getting the best value from each player/trade may be a prerequisite for finding right players. Whatever assets we would get from Chinakhov could be traded forward which could give us something that would later turn into a "right player in place". It's silly imo to not care about trade value and consider possible long-term benefits.

- I don't think we know who the best young players are going to be in a few years. It could be Chinakhov or Johnson for all we know.
No one knows that, just as we don't know if and when some of consistent hardworking veterans suddenly become inconsistent injury-prone veterans. Happened with Umberger and Dubinsky for example.

Sometimes it's good to take a risk if situation calls for it. I'd be very surprised if Chinakhov ended up being the best player when it's all said and done.

Reactions: Napoli

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Highly doubt you can trade him without retaining a significant portion of his contract. Similar to Garland in Vancouver but more magnified (both in quality and contract)

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It's being reported that CBJ's have been scouting all the Caps West Coast road trip(4 of 5 so far). Could there be a trade in the works involving Laine/Kutnetsov, with the Caps maybe adding a bit?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's being reported that CBJ's have been scouting all the Caps West Coast road trip(4 of 5 so far). Could there be a trade in the works involving Laine/Kutnetsov, with the Caps maybe adding a bit?

I had the same thought.

But I know why Laine sucks right now, he just had a concussion. What's Kuznetsov's excuse? Is he partied out / not taking care of himself? Or does he just need a change of scenery?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Kuzmenko for Laine as a base?

Kuz isn't younger but 'similar stature' in that he's a good top 6 winger. So your getting a legit player back.

Canucks would have to add Myers/Garland to make $$$ work - barring retention

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Garland is a youngish winger or center that might be slightly overpaid and need a change of scenery, and I'd love Laine in Van...!

This is the framework of the type of deal I could see CBJ actually going for. Open up cap space and get a better overall player with term. Maybe not Garland specifically.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Wanted to gauge any interest across the league to see who might be willing to acquire a former 2nd overall pick Laine.

He’s got 2 more years on his contract with a cap hit of $8.7m.

Personally, I’d like Columbus to get another roster player of a similar stature - youngish winger or center that might be slightly overpaid and need a change of scenery.
With his numbers and cap hit he has negative value.

Campbell+ Foegele+ 2025 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad