LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Jokes, whatever. It's dumb and it dates you but you do you. It's the "this must be why he's so terrible lately" comments that get old, especially when they're followed up to as though they're supposed to be legit positions.

him streaming 3 years ago. so he's still playing 2 or 3 years after the whole thing started.

who knows maybe he's not really hitting the gym maybe this is what hes doing with all his free time. hes been good dont get me wrong but the guy cant play even 60 games.

also this doesnt mean he still or did have a problem but ever since those rumors started he's kinda been a rollarcoaster.

another 2 years ago

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

him streaming 3 years ago. so he's still playing 2 or 3 years after the whole thing started.

who knows maybe he's not really hitting the gym maybe this is what hes doing with all his free time. hes been good dont get me wrong but the guy cant play even 60 games.

also this doesnt mean he still or did have a problem but ever since those rumors started he's kinda been a rollarcoaster.

oh my f***ing g-d hon just quit while you're behind already

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
all rumors start from somewhere and I dont think it was proven false.
It doesn't matter if its true or false, you're using a rumor from 5-6 YEARS AGO to try to justify something that there hasn't been a peep of since. He's high profile enough that if it were still an issue it would be known.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I got clear evidence of him playing the game right there on stream. how do you know the numbers people were saying he was logging was fake?
How much he played 5-6 years ago versus him streaming today is COMPLETELY irrelevant.

If you're going to question his training why don't you ask Barkov, you know who he spends the summer training with? Players still do some lifting and weight training during the season, but majority of the heavy training is done during the off-season. Not in the season.

You're acting like it's a bad thing that he's staying home playing video games instead of being out at the bars and partying. What would you think GMs prefer?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
It doesn't matter if its true or false, you're using a rumor from 5-6 YEARS AGO to try to justify something that there hasn't been a peep of since. He's high profile enough that if it were still an issue it would be known.
I wouldnt say Im justifying it speculating while joking about it for sure. to me he's a shadow of himself and I find it all started with those rumors. so when I look at him, okay his numbers have been okay 2 of the past 4 years and this year he missed over 60 games.... hasnt played 60 games once in those years too.
so how did all this happen? I blame it on fortnite ruining his true potential and I dont think ive ever been proven wrong. dont think he's spending many hours at the gym. cant help but assume all his free time goes to gaming

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I wouldnt say Im justifying it speculating while joking about it for sure. to me he's a shadow of himself and I find it all started with those rumors. so when I look at him, okay his numbers have been okay 2 of the past 4 years and this year he missed over 60 games.... hasnt played 60 games once in those years too.
so how did all this happen? I blame it on fortnite ruining his true potential and I dont think ive ever been proven wrong. dont think he's spending many hours at the gym. cant help but assume all his free time goes to gaming
Okay bud. Enjoy living in that reality.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well, he posted something from two years ago not five or six. I’d heard about those issues about him and others and at some point I’ve read some articles that talk about gaming addictions and how they can affect even pro athletes. He isn’t the first pro hockey guy to have this be rumored. His Dad died, who was his best friend and that has to be no small part of what’s going on but I don’t think the gaming thing should just be tossed away out of hand. It’s a real addiction for some people. You’d think some point people move on from that, and maybe Laine has.

No one really knows what the issue has been. Everything is on the table. I think he’s going to get another shot and from the family issues side I hope he finds a good team for him.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Well, he posted something from two years ago not five or six. I’d heard about those issues about him and others and at some point I’ve read some articles that talk about gaming addictions and how they can affect even pro athletes. He isn’t the first pro hockey guy to have this be rumored. His Dad died, who was his best friend and that has to be no small part of what’s going on but I don’t think the gaming thing should just be tossed away out of hand. It’s a real addiction for some people. You’d think some point people move on from that, and maybe Laine has.

No one really knows what the issue has been. Everything is on the table. I think he’s going to get another shot and from the family issues side I hope he finds a good team for him.
I completely forgot about his dad passing away, prob has a big part of his struggles too

Reactions: bleedgreen

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Well, he posted something from two years ago not five or six. I’d heard about those issues about him and others and at some point I’ve read some articles that talk about gaming addictions and how they can affect even pro athletes.
So because he posted a video a few years ago, he still has an addiction playing on game nights?!

Is this a drug addiction where one taste and he's back suddenly hooked? There's videos of Marner and Matthews playing games, I guess they must be addicted to video games too.

If marner does it, it's front page news and a high five

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So because he posted a video a few years ago, he still has an addiction playing on game nights?!

Is this a drug addiction where one taste and he's back suddenly hooked? There's videos of Marner and Matthews playing games, I guess they must be addicted to video games too.

If marner does it, it's front page news and a high five

You’re just as overboard as anyone else here. I’m saying it’s a real thing to be addicted to, he was rumored to be involved and there is proof he was still playing years later. Thats it. Not that it’s true that hes addicted, just that it could be that….or his family…or both and everything else. You trying to squash it is just as speculative as the rumors themselves. You don’t know, I dont know, no one knows. He was definitely rumored to be heavily involved in it. Don’t shoot the messenger. I’m pro Laine.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You’re just as overboard as anyone else here. I’m saying it’s a real thing to be addicted to, he was rumored to be involved and there is proof he was still playing years later. Thats it. Not that it’s true that hes addicted, just that it could be that….or his family…or both and everything else. You trying to squash it is just as speculative as the rumors themselves. You don’t know, I dont know, no one knows. He was definitely rumored to be heavily involved in it. Don’t shoot the messenger. I’m pro Laine.
You're right, we don't know. But others here have directly claimed that the video games are a direct reason he's injured and why he's not the same player he used to be. Even though his rate of production has generally been about the same. Not him getting traded to what's essentially being traded from a yearly playoff contender to a lottery team at the start of a retool/rebuild, but video games.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You're right, we don't know. But others here have directly claimed that the video games are a direct reason he's injured and why he's not the same player he used to be. Even though his rate of production has generally been about the same. Not him getting traded to what's essentially being traded from a yearly playoff contender to a lottery team at the start of a retool/rebuild, but video games.
People speculate. You’ve defended your side. I don’t think it ruined his career but I don’t pretend to know what’s really made him go sideways. I don’t think he was happy to be in Cbus. He never seemed to be on his game with any consistency, he doesn’t seem like he’s been in great shape. I assumed when he went into the program he’d played his last game there. He may not have great habits, though maybe that’s just him being young?

All speculation. It wasn’t a good fit for him. Everyone is moving on. Cbus should have players that want to be there and play with pride, he should get at least one more shot to put it together on a good team that can use him better.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Laine's already got like 4 "fresh starts" already, one via trade and the others via coaching changes. At some point teams are gonna figure out that he's just not worth the hassle.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
he be a good fit for vancouver imo. if tocchett can help mold his defensive game. be another weapon for canucks top 6 forwards. another shooter besides boeser.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Laine's already got like 4 "fresh starts" already, one via trade and the others via coaching changes. At some point teams are gonna figure out that he's just not worth the hassle.
Coaching changes on the same bad team counts the same as an actual fresh start on a good team?

That’s fascinating. He may not be worth the hassle but he’s a few years older now. Someone is going to find out if he is.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Video game addiction...as if someone can play video games often enough to impact other aspect of their lives. I guess movies, Netflix and listening to music can become addictions too, because these are things we are physically and mentally NEEDING to do ALL day, every day....like crack cocaine....

I think the big problem for Laine, is the LDS (Laine Derange...) that comes from being drafted by WPG the same year TML drafted Matthews. Apparently (from this CBJ fans POV) the $&%!-posting between the two fan bases and "betraying" his previous fan base, has left any meaningful discussion of trade value utterly pointless.

Reactions: Marioesque

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Video game addiction...as if someone can play video games often enough to impact other aspect of their lives. I guess movies, Netflix and listening to music can become addictions too, because these are things we are physically and mentally NEEDING to do ALL day, every day....like crack cocaine....

I think the big problem for Laine, is the LDS (Laine Derange...) that comes from being drafted by WPG the same year TML drafted Matthews. Apparently (from this CBJ fans POV) the $&%!-posting between the two fan bases and "betraying" his previous fan base, has left any meaningful discussion of trade value utterly pointless.
Don't dismiss video game addiction. I've seen plenty of people lose jobs and waste their life gaming away. We have no idea how much Laine plays, but he's certainly distracted and on a wayward path.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd take him back in Winnipeg or take him on the Rangers if there was any way to work that out. Laine made me lean forward every time he took a shot when he was in Winnipeg. I know he has his flaws, but I'm still a fan. That said, I'm pretty sure there's zero chance of either team acquiring him, or even probably wanting him at all.

Reactions: Marioesque

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I'd take him back in Winnipeg or take him on the Rangers if there was any way to work that out. Laine made me lean forward every time he took a shot when he was in Winnipeg. I know he has his flaws, but I'm still a fan. That said, I'm pretty sure there's zero chance of either team acquiring him, or even probably wanting him at all.
I hope the Habs get him. They're good at development now and they have a great mental perfomrance coach now, plus they have the money to pay the remainder of his contract.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Absent a big salary dump going the other way, I can't see Laine getting any more than a late 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad