LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This is a very hard trade to complete, in my opinion. These days, lots of trades are difficult because that is why we see so few of them (that, and the modern-day GM lacks balls IMHO).

I get the feeling that either fans of the team acquiring Laine or the CBJ fans will not be happy with the results. Seems almost an impossible trade to satisfy both sides.

That said, I don't think Laine is going to be traded for another "bad contract" a la James Neal for Milan Lucic deal. But I have been seeing packages of four assets going to CBJ for Laine, including top prospects or high picks, etc. I really doubt that happens, too.

I don't think I have seen anything proposed that feels logical. Very curious to see what Don Waddell comes up with here.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't care if you "give me props". I thought the trade was fair, you don't. We could discuss it, or not.

Instead you are more interested in being dramatic, personal and overreacting to my single post over multiple days.
Not really much to discuss, the team doesnt have to attach a guy like Johnson to make a Laine move. Hell they dont even have to move Laine if they cant find something worthwhile

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
If Laine's agent told JD a couple months ago that he would like a fresh start, I wonder if that had something to do with Jarmo being fired. Anyways...

As for the offers, CBJ isn't going to make another team better for nothing. I believe the NHLPA is paying his salary while not playing and Johnny being the only other CBJ forward making over 5m+. So unless somebody convinces Waddell to trade him, I imagine he will just try to get Laine playing to increase his value.

Whenever he is traded, I'm sure the acquiring team will talk to him, he will have been cleared to play. Just how many teams will do all that? Personally I would be happy with a couple veteran guys that can help build a team. But he's worth more than that, great player, good locker room guy, great attitude and wish him the best IF he goes somewhere else.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I think it would be fun to see Laine with Thomas but I don't think a trade will work with the Blues plus he makes to much money for my liking.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Once his current contract expires, I'm betting he looks for his next fresh start over in Europe...
You might be able to say that about Puljujarvi, but unless Laine is absolutely done with hockey id say there's about 0% chance of that. In his last two seasons he put up 52 in 55 and 56 in 56. He's going to walk away from what's likely another 8-9+/year contract?!

The only chance he's not playing in the NHL is if his body/mind can't hold up. He's taken a few concussions now.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
8.7 is too much. If they want to dump him to get space sure.
not sure what they would use the space on?

I mean. If they could dump laine for a mid picks and B prospects and sign lindholm that’s still a Win

JG. Lindholm
Fantilli
Jenner

Isn’t terrible.

You might be able to say that about Puljujarvi, but unless Laine is absolutely done with hockey id say there's about 0% chance of that. In his last two seasons he put up 52 in 55 and 56 in 56. He's going to walk away from what's likely another 8-9+/year contract?!

The only chance he's not playing in the NHL is if his body/mind can't hold up. He's taken a few concussions now.

You think he’s getting 9???

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Yeah those folks sure are delusional...

This is before last season where in 18 games

A) Laine was attempting to play center to help the team
B) came back from a concussion only to enter the NHLPAP shortly after he returned from it, was hurt again and was clearly not okay.

8.7 is too much. If they want to dump him to get space sure.
not sure what they would use the space on?

I mean. If they could dump laine for a mid picks and B prospects and sign lindholm that’s still a Win

JG. Lindholm
Fantilli
Jenner

Isn’t terrible.

You think he’s getting 9???
Because I don't feel like repeating, it's not far off. Combined with a continued rising cap and teams desperate for scoring, yeah it's completely possible.

It all depends on his health moving forward. If he can play 60+ games over each of the next two seasons and has similar production as his last two somewhat healthy seasons...I guarantee you someone, somewhere will offer him that on the open market.

Edit: attachment didn't work, adding again

Screenshot-2023-04-03-at-11.18.23-AM.png

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
He's a blackhawk. Him next to bedard would be lethal if Laine stays healthy.

Then imagine Blackhawks signing Guentzel

Guentzel - Bedard - Laine

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If Laine truly wants a fresh start then how about he agrees to a mutual termination of his contract? Otherwise it’s just empty words. .
Bro NOBODY in the league would EVER do that. No agent would ever suggest that to their clients. They are guaranteed contracts for a reason. It's why guys stay on LTIR and don't retire. It's free money.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Bro NOBODY in the league would EVER do that. No agent would ever suggest that to their clients. They are guaranteed contracts for a reason. It's why guys stay on LTIR and don't retire. It's free money.
Zadina did just that.

If he wants to collect his paycheque that's fine, he's entitled to that. But it's hilarious to see a guy who's that overpaid, often injured, inconsistent, and just got outta the program to be requesting a trade.

I can't see him having any positive trade value, so if he wants a fresh start that badly, a contract termination isn't outlandish. Or he can collect his money and STFU

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Actually player do exactly that. If Laine wants a fresh start then terminate his contract and sign for league minimum as a UFA. Otherwise he should shut the hell up because he has way less than zero value.

Reactions: JKG33

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
If Waddell could dump all of Laine’s $8.7M over the next 2 yrs for 1 yr of Kuznetsov at $3.9M, you say “ no chance”? I highly doubt that, especially with Friedman suggesting they’ll need to retain or add a sweetener to move Laine.

Now, I’d have to concede that they’d likely only be interested in Kotkaniemi if they saw something there no one else does.
There is no way I'd bring Kuznetsov into a room loaded with promising young Russian players (or young players of any nationality, for that matter). He doesn't strike me as the mentor they are looking for. If Carolina got him for half price then why are you so eager to move him along already (even if it means taking Laine's full contract)?

Reactions: Viqsi

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
If you're facing paying a sweetener or retaining on Laine and can avoid both by trading for KK, you should jump on that.

Kotkaniemi, who seems eternally snake-bit and probably has no 2C upside at this point is signed long-term at a salary which should be market rate for a defensive 3C by 2026. He is that. Unfortunately, Carolina produces shutdown Cs like they grow on trees so he's totally redundant and an anchor on needed cap space.

That kind of cost-certainty has value though. Some team is going to get him from us for a song, their fans are going to hate it, and in 2 years we'll all be hearing what a genius their GM is for trading for KK when nobody wanted him.

Let's just skip all that and concede now that the GM who gets Kotkaniemi off Carolina for nothing is a genius.
You don't take on a 6 year contract for a 3rd line player in order to get out from under a 2 year contract, especially when there are other options.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You don't take on a 6 year contract for a 3rd line player in order to get out from under a 2 year contract, especially when there are other options.
Options like?
Zero chance the Csnes offer JK for Laine anyway.
Laine, unless he agrees to terminate his contract, is on CBJ next season. If he plays well, shows interest, then he might find a new club at the 2025 TDL. Even then CBJ would need to retain 50% and have a third team retain 25%. He’s just really not a player anyone will want right now. Not for any sugar added.

• Haha
Reactions: MrEckted

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Zadina did just that.

If he wants to collect his paycheque that's fine, he's entitled to that. But it's hilarious to see a guy who's that overpaid, often injured, inconsistent, and just got outta the program to be requesting a trade.

I can't see him having any positive trade value, so if he wants a fresh start that badly, a contract termination isn't outlandish. Or he can collect his money and STFU

Actually player do exactly that. If Laine wants a fresh start then terminate his contract and sign for league minimum as a UFA. Otherwise he should shut the hell up because he has way less than zero value.

Lmao

You're gonna sit there and compare Filip f***ing Zadina to Laine? Laine has scored more points in his first two years in the league, hell he's scored more in his two 55 game seasons in Columbus than Zadina has scored in his entire career.

Laine makes more in one season than Zadina has made in his entire career. You think he's going to just let close to 20 million burn to ash for what?

Show me an established player, who was making more than 5 million a season who has just dissolve their current contract just to get another deal, let alone take a league minimum deal.

y'all are missing the point anyway. If he's even somewhat healthy over the rest of his current deal, someone WILL pay him 8-9M. His rate of production will command it. Combined with a rising cap there will be a GM who thinks he can make it work. Whether you agree it's a good or bad can be debated.

I personally wouldn't re-sign him in Columbus. We have players who can replace his production that are younger, cheaper and can stay healthy. But that doesn't mean there won't be a few teams out there who won't throw money at him.

The cap is expected to rise again next season and if the TV ratings continue into the following seasons, I won't be surprised if the cap only continues to rise. Lesser players than Laine are going to get absolutely paid. It's the nature of league.

Reactions: Bridges31

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Lmao

You're gonna sit there and compare Filip f***ing Zadina to Laine? Laine has scored more points in his first two years in the league, hell he's scored more in his two 55 game seasons in Columbus than Zadina has scored in his entire career.

Laine makes more in one season than Zadina has made in his entire career. You think he's going to just let close to 20 million burn to ash for what?

Show me an established player, who was making more than 5 million a season who has just dissolve their current contract just to get another deal, let alone take a league minimum deal.

y'all are missing the point anyway. If he's even somewhat healthy over the rest of his current deal, someone WILL pay him 8-9M. His rate of production will command it. Combined with a rising cap there will be a GM who thinks he can make it work. Whether you agree it's a good or bad can be debated.

I personally wouldn't re-sign him in Columbus. We have players who can replace his production that are younger, cheaper and can stay healthy. But that doesn't mean there won't be a few teams out there who won't throw money at him.

The cap is expected to rise again next season and if the TV ratings continue into the following seasons, I won't be surprised if the cap only continues to rise. Lesser players than Laine are going to get absolutely paid. It's the nature of league.
You're the one missing the point. A player who had a negative value contract walked away from the money to have a fresh start. Laine may need to do the same, or at least prove he can at least be useful for Columbus over a full season first. The caliber of player is irrelevant in this case when it's a negative value contract.

Kuznetsov, who's a similarly overpaid and one-dimensional forward recently out of the program had to be retained 50% to have essentially 0 value.

• Haha
Reactions: OKR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: