Patrik Laine to the devils for...?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don’t know why I have to bring up the same arguments over and over to counter the flawed picture that is being painted of Laine but if you look back at a couple of my posts, you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Also, I’ll take the average of what he’s done in 5 of the 6 years he’s been in the league over one horrible season. Add to the fact that he has absolutely nobody to compliment his game in Columbus and yes, Laine would put up a minimum of 30 goals a year in NJ, guaranteed.
Well In response to your argument about Mercer as a winger I disagree. I think and have actually been saying this for a while that Mercer’s skillset is better suited to be a winger and I think that’s where his game could really explode offensively especially with a good center. Maybe he would rather play center but there’s a ton of players who would rather play center.

If the price for Laine is just Mercer that’s definitely worth considering because you can’t deny Laine’s talent. But at the same time the other factors such as the salary and age are definitely worth considering and in Laine’s 5-6 seasons he’s more often than not been a very one dimensional player who comes off as lazy and does very little other than score goals. Obviously scoring goals is extremely valuable but I don’t think he would completely turn our offence around and he might come with more baggage than it’s worth. What’s he going to ask for considering he’s coming off a bounce back year statistically. Are we willing to pay 9M or more for him if that’s what he’s pushing for? I don’t think he’s worth that at all. And I don’t fully trust that he’ll keep this level of play up once he gets his big contract.

Seems like a player that came into the league hot. Started coasting and developed a bad reputation. Had to accept a 1 year qualifying offer because he had a bad season and now has some more fire this year trying to earn his money. But once he gets his big contract, how confident can we be that he gonna keep putting the effort in and maintain his level of play?

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If you could add Laine with a long term deal that isn’t crippling for a reasonable acquisition cost then sure it makes sense. But somebody is going to overpay Laine as a UFA so why should he sign a reasonable deal ahead of that?

Reactions: Forge

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
There's definitely a price that I'm interested in, but contract is a factor here for sure. I don't know how likely he is to want to sign long term in NJ, and I'm not making a move for him without that.

It goes without saying that he has to have a deal in place to make this work, I mean nobody will be giving up prime assets for a rental who’s on a deal like that without having some type of security.

It would also be in CBJ’s best interest to have a team negotiate something prior to the move, maximizing their return.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
It goes without saying that he has to have a deal in place to make this work, I mean nobody will be giving up prime assets for a rental who’s on a deal like that without having some type of security.

It would also be in CBJ’s best interest to have a team negotiate something prior to the move, maximizing their return.
But it is not in Laine's interest. Being able to pick where you play is a big deal to the player.

Reactions: My3Sons

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Well In response to your argument about Mercer as a winger I disagree. I think and have actually been saying this for a while that Mercer’s skillset is better suited to be a winger and I think that’s where his game could really explode offensively especially with a good center. Maybe he would rather play center but there’s a ton of players who would rather play center.

If the price for Laine is just Mercer that’s definitely worth considering because you can’t deny Laine’s talent. But at the same time the other factors such as the salary and age are definitely worth considering and in Laine’s 5-6 seasons he’s more often than not been a very one dimensional player who comes off as lazy and does very little other than score goals. Obviously scoring goals is extremely valuable but I don’t think he would completely turn our offence around and he might come with more baggage than it’s worth. What’s he going to ask for considering he’s coming off a bounce back year statistically. Are we willing to pay 9M or more for him if that’s what he’s pushing for? I don’t think he’s worth that at all. And I don’t fully trust that he’ll keep this level of play up once he gets his big contract.

Seems like a player that came into the league hot. Started coasting and developed a bad reputation. Had to accept a 1 year qualifying offer because he had a bad season and now has some more fire this year trying to earn his money. But once he gets his big contract, how confident can we be that he gonna keep putting the effort in and maintain his level of play?

I’d do Laine+ for Nico but odds of that happening are slim to none. A CBJ poster proposed Laine + 1st for Nico, which I would do in a heartbeat but again, highly unlikely.

I’d also consider Mercer + Tatar for Laine.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
But it is not in Laine's interest. Being able to pick where you play is a big deal to the player.

He’ll be able to pick his spot but there’s not going to be a lot of suitors who’ll be able to offer him a dynamic playmaking center, top line minutes as well as PP1 and the deal he’s looking for.

That funnel just got wayyyy tighter if that’s what he’s looking for, which one would presume he is.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I’d do Laine+ for Nico but odds of that happening are slim to none. A CBJ poster proposed Laine + 1st for Nico, which I would do in a heartbeat but again, highly unlikely.

I’d also consider Mercer + Tatar for Laine.
I’m not sure you should do that in a heartbeat. Paying that for Laine and then having to sign him for a contract that could be 9M or more long term would be really bad IMO. I would be extremely concerned about giving Laine a long-term contract. He seems like the exact type of player to me who is going to start coasting once he gets his big contract and not even be close to worth it. There is a legitimate risk IMO that whoever gets Laine long/term could be looking at a horrible contract within a couple seasons. That risk might be worth it but not at an overly high price. Hischier is too high of a price even if they throw something else in. Mercer might be worth considering. But I think I’d rather see what Mercer can do on the wing or trade for someone else. I think there’s much safer options who could cost less in terms of trade assets and salary+term on their contract. Boeser is easily a better option but I doubt that VAN is looking to trade him. If we’re talking about Boeser I think it’s reasonable to consider Smith, Mukhammadullin, Holtz, and even Mercer. Boeser is going to be cheaper than Laine salary wise and I think is a safer player to pick up. It would all come down to whether VAN is willing to trade him and what they are asking for. If we could swing a deal centering around Holtz that could work. I don’t think they be that interested in Smith. Holtz + Smith? There’s also definitely other players we should look at.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He’ll be able to pick his spot but there’s not going to be a lot of suitors who’ll be able to offer him a dynamic playmaking center, top line minutes as well as PP1 and the deal he’s looking for.

That funnel just got wayyyy tighter if that’s what he’s looking for, which one would presume he is.
I think he’ll be looking for money more than anything. Am anyone who’s gonna offer the type of money he’ll be asking for is gonna be offering him top line and top pp minutes. They’re aren’t gonna offer him that type of money to play 2nd line and 2nd pp minutes.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I think he’ll be looking for money more than anything. Am anyone who’s gonna offer the type of money he’ll be asking for is gonna be offering him top line and top pp minutes. They’re aren’t gonna offer him that type of money to play 2nd line and 2nd pp minutes.

I get that but what I’m trying to say is that his options will be extremely limited if he wants all of that.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I get that but what I’m trying to say is that his options will be extremely limited if he wants all of that.
He doesn’t want “all of that”. He just wants money. Any team giving him that kind of money is giving him the other things too. It just comes down to who’s willing to pay him. The other stuff comes with that kind of money.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
He just wants money. Any team giving him that kind of money is giving him the other things too. It just comes down to who’s willing to pay him.

Ok, but who has the cap space, the need at RW1 and the desire to sign him is what I’m trying to say. Realistically, I see probably less then 4 teams who would check all those boxes and I might be pushing it here.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Ok, but who has the cap space, the need at RW1 and the desire to sign him is what I’m trying to say. Realistically, I see probably less then 4 teams who would check all those boxes and that’s not a lot
Ya but he just needs one team to make a big offer. I hope that team is us because I think the price will be too high and I think he comes with too much risk. I’d rather look at other potential options such as Boeser. Or Matthew Tkachuk. Or we could try to do a lower risk Kyle Palmieri type deal.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
No way I trade Mercer for Laine . The value might be there but Mercer is what we need more of . Yes we need a shoot first scorer for Jack but hoiefukku that is Holtz . I’d rather keep Mercer and throw money at Forsberg or try to trade for Fiala or ?

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Ya but he just needs one team to make a big offer. I hope that team is us because I think the price will be too high and I think he comes with too much risk. I’d rather look at other potential options such as Boeser. Or Matthew Tkachuk. Or we could try to do a lower risk Kyle Palmieri type deal.

You know that Tkatchuk is at the top of my list and I’d even overpay to get him here. We throw the "he’s exactly what we need" catchphrase around from time to time but he is exactly the definition of that catchphrase when looking at our current roster.

Last edited:

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

Over in the team thread I think you just called us a mess. Over here we are such an attractive place that players will be willing to give up their chance to pick their destination. Contradiction?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Better options mentioned so far: Boeser, M. Tkachuk (highly unlikely), Kevin Fiala. I’m sure there’s lots more. Timo Meier is another but I’m pretty sure his price would be high and he has a 10 million dollar qualifying offer.

We could also try for a Palmieri type deal.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Over in the team thread I think you just called us a mess. Over here we are such an attractive place that players will be willing to give up their chance to pick their destination. Contradiction?

No, I said that how we’re built was a complete and utter mess. What I’ve been also saying is that I can see Laine being very interested in playing with Jack Hughes, knowing he has absolutely nobody to worry about on the depth chart at his position and can return to his scoring ways, giving him the option to sign a smaller deal (like Marner for example) for another crack at the UFA market.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Better options mentioned so far: Boeser, M. Tkachuk (highly unlikely), Kevin Fiala. I’m sure there’s lots more. Timo Meier is another but I’m pretty sure his price would be high and he has a 10 million dollar qualifying offer.

We could also try for a Palmieri type deal.

Cant NJ just wait until these guys hit the market as UFAs and hope someone wants to play with Hughes or maybe join fellow countrymen in Hischier and Siegenthaler?

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Laine would be a good fit at NJ, we have bunch of playmakers and even bunch of defensive grinders, but lack pure goal scorers. Would be very interesting to see him with Hughes and Bratt. That said his value is at an all time low and there's bunch of question marks around him. Wouldn't want to pay for potential or his past performances. The return I would be comfortable paying would probably just be bunch of medium level talent and non-1st round picks.

Reactions: BostonDevil

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
Who’s paying 9M, long term, for Laine at this point? He’s got all sorts of question marks as pointed out here unless the Rangers want to add him knowing that they have draft and trade history on their side so that it won’t matter in 3 years if they want to dump him for nothing for something better.

That being said, I want to try him out riding shotgun with Jack and willing to give something to see it but not Nico or Mercer and definitely not 9/8 or something like that as a UFA.

I’m not interested in another Tatar experiment this summer so willing to give to get a scorer.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Who’s paying 9M, long term, for Laine at this point? He’s got all sorts of question marks as pointed out here unless the Rangers want to add him knowing that they have draft and trade history on their side so that it won’t matter in 3 years if they want to dump him for nothing for something better.

That being said, I want to try him out riding shotgun with Jack and willing to give something to see it but not Nico or Mercer and definitely not 9/8 or something like that as a UFA.

I’m not interested in another Tatar experiment this summer so willing to give to get a scorer.
I just think there’s better, safer, and/or cheaper options than Laine.
Tatar wasn’t really an experiment either tbh. Just a risk free way of hopefully plugging a hole temporarily.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
He kinda looks weird, don’t want him.

this guy looks weird

rp_primary_Resch_pose_.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad