Patrik Laine to the devils for...?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not trading Dawson Mercer straight up for Laine. I'm not trading Jesper Bratt straight up for Laine.

Patrik Laine is a one-way winger with below-average compete and far-below-average defensive play making $7.5 million a year to cherry pick and score on the PP. Although I have not given up hope that's he'll turn it around and show the ability he displayed in his first two seasons of 2016-17 and 2017-18, this is not the player you sell the farm for. If Columbus GM Jarmo Kekkalainen drinks a gallon of paint-thinner and wants to trade him within the division for a 4th round pick, then sure, why not? I just don't see that happening.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'm not trading Dawson Mercer straight up for Laine. I'm not trading Jesper Bratt straight up for Laine.

Patrik Laine is a one-way winger with below-average compete and far-below-average defensive play making $7.5 million a year to cherry pick and score on the PP. Although I have not given up hope that's he'll turn it around and show the ability he displayed in his first two seasons of 2016-17 and 2017-18, this is not the player you sell the farm for. If Columbus GM Jarmo Kekkalainen drinks a gallon of paint-thinner and wants to trade him within the division for a 4th round pick, then sure, why not? I just don't see that happening.
I agree, he's got a nasty shot, but not worth the assets for his one dimensional play

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'm not giving up much at all. Laine's literally just a shot at this point. A great shot but still just a shot. He doesn't playmake. He doesn't defend. He doesn't drive any offense. Probably like Zacha+

Reactions: glenwo2 and Mgd31

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The Devils have Hamilton, Hischier, Hughes, soon to be Bratt, and Likely Severson all at $6mil or above salary cap. It'll be really difficult to fit Laine in at $7.5mil.

Graves is the most valuable player that would return salary back and be replaced by an entry level contract so I guess a trade based around him?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
How are these “two-way” players working out?? God forbid we acquire a player that actually scores goals!!!
What two way players? The list seems to begin and end with Nico.

After that it's a bunch of small offensive minded players who play with no physicality. Unless you want to include our 4th line, which isn't where you'd expect two way players.

mdj12784

Sep 19, 2006
Sayreville, N.J
The Devils have Hamilton, Hischier, Hughes, soon to be Bratt, and Likely Severson all at $6mil or above salary cap. It'll be really difficult to fit Laine in at $7.5mil.

Graves is the most valuable player that would return salary back and be replaced by an entry level contract so I guess a trade based around him?
If I have to choose to keep Severson or Graves, it’s Graves 10 out of 10.

Reactions: Saint Beaurivage

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

hilarious

:clap:

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016

Have you watched him play this season? He is not lazy and has improved his 200ft game. Patty can dish the puck and has scored most of his goals 5v5 this season, best +/- on a bad team.

But If you want to keep your opinion I suggest reading more hf posts and not watching any columbus games at all.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Have you watched him play this season? He is not lazy and has improved his 200ft game. Patty can dish the puck and has scored most of his goals 5v5 this season, best +/- on a bad team.

But If you want to keep your opinion I suggest reading more hf posts and not watching any columbus games at all.

I've watched a bunch of Columbus this year. And last year. Laine will turn it on for a shift, maybe two, then turn it off... like he always has. I was a big fan of his when he was draft-eligible and rated him highly, and then a big fan of his in his first couple of years in Winnipeg. But then his inconsistencies -- usually aspects of a player's game worked out through experience and age -- coagulated into bad habits, which then got worse and worse. By last season he was an absolute shell of the excitable, energetic player who topped 40 goals in his sophomore season.

He's been incrementally better this year, but you're still paying $7.5 million for a guy you're crossing your fingers will score 30+ goals and play every shift with a reasonably high effort level. You're also giving up a lot in terms of assets to get a player who is not particularly missed in Winnipeg and has not made any discernible impact in Columbus. From a Devils standpoint, I can't remember the last time an underperforming team was greatly improved by a player whose #1 criticism is lack of compete level. I agree Laine would be great for the PP, especially with Hughes, but at what cost?

The Devils need interior forwards if they are going to win. They need players to retrieve pucks and win battles for pucks down low. They are currently the weakest team in the Metropolitan Division at scoring off rebounds, deflections and screens -- the areas where the lion's share of NHL goals are scored from. Patrik Laine is not a player who covers the entire offensive zone, but rather a player who is often caught waiting for his team to attain possession so he can find open seams in his favorite shooting areas around the circles. He is not a "puck retriever" nor is he an interior battler. He is by all indications, the very definition of a "pure goal scorer".

Patrik Laine is what he is. Given top end talent around him and a defined role, he can certainly return to the 30+ goal plateau. But it's a big if, especially considering his history of slacking on 200-foot play and compete level. Slight improvements in a small 30-game sample do not change this view of Laine, which is not just my opinion, but the opinion of many experts around the NHL.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

There is a reason you started with Mercer as he is an all around high compete talented player...One you have to pull back not kick in ass like Laine.....No way we trade Mercer

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I've watched a bunch of Columbus this year. And last year. Laine will turn it on for a shift, maybe two, then turn it off... like he always has. I was a big fan of his when he was draft-eligible and rated him highly, and then a big fan of his in his first couple of years in Winnipeg. But then his inconsistencies -- usually aspects of a player's game worked out through experience and age -- coagulated into bad habits, which then got worse and worse. By last season he was an absolute shell of the excitable, energetic player who topped 40 goals in his sophomore season.

He's been incrementally better this year, but you're still paying $7.5 million for a guy you're crossing your fingers will score 30+ goals and play every shift with a reasonably high effort level. You're also giving up a lot in terms of assets to get a player who is not particularly missed in Winnipeg and has not made any discernible impact in Columbus. From a Devils standpoint, I can't remember the last time an underperforming team was greatly improved by a player whose #1 criticism is lack of compete level. I agree Laine would be great for the PP, especially with Hughes, but at what cost?

The Devils need interior forwards if they are going to win. They need players to retrieve pucks and win battles for pucks down low. They are currently the weakest team in the Metropolitan Division at scoring off rebounds, deflections and screens -- the areas where the lion's share of NHL goals are scored from. Patrik Laine is not a player who covers the entire offensive zone, but rather a player who is often caught waiting for his team to attain possession so he can find open seams in his favorite shooting areas around the circles. He is not a "puck retriever" nor is he an interior battler. He is by all indications, the very definition of a "pure goal scorer".

Patrik Laine is what he is. Given top end talent around him and a defined role, he can certainly return to the 30+ goal plateau. But it's a big if, especially considering his history of slacking on 200-foot play and compete level. Slight improvements in a small 30-game sample do not change this view of Laine, which is not just my opinion, but the opinion of many experts around the NHL.

I agree with you more often then not but I have to completely disagree with you on Laine. He had a horrible, horrible, year last season and there’s just no way around that. With that said, he’s an immense talent and has one of the better shots in this league. He would bring an element to our team we’re desperately lacking and that’s a clear cut sniper, on a team that is pass happy 24/7. We also have one of the best up and coming playmakers in the game who is paired with another pass happy winger but is doing his best to score goals this year and is actually leading the team doing so. The fact of the matter is that you can only pray for a combo that would bring Jack’s vision with Laine’s deadly release. Does he have a perfect 200 foot game, absolutely not but that’s why you have 3 forwards who can bring different aspects to a line, making it a well balanced line.

The kid started his career scoring goals like it was no big deal, got demoted for whatever reason, traded to Columbus where Torts tried to change his game when he was drafted 2nd overall to score goals, had Max Domi as his #1 center and his father just passed away.

I understand we view hockey players or pro athletes in a different light but at the end of the day, they’re human being just like you and I and having to deal with all of that can be challenging and evidently, it was for him. With that said, he’s playing really well this year despite the fact he has average players around him and most of his points are being scored at even strength. He already has the same amount of pts he had last year, in 21 less games played, with roughly the same roster!

This notion that we’d be acquiring the new version of Michael Ryder is flawed and borderline ludicrous. If we can land the trigger man Jack desperately needs to get the best out of him, for Mercer and Tatar (to balance out the books more then anything else), I’m pulling the trigger on that deal without thinking twice. That doesn’t take away the fact that we still need players who will win board battles and go hard to the net, as I’ve been asking for just that for 2 years now.

To me, the perfect line would be that hard nose player we both want, Jack and Laine. We can then pair Bratt with Nico and slide Holtz on the right side on our 2nd line. Now that would be a solid top #6 with a "grinder", playmaker and sniper on each line. I mean, we drafted Alex Holtz so he can do just that and yes, he’s posting up good numbers in Utica but he’s far from a lock to be anywhere close to what Patrick has already proven at the NHL level.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
How are these “two-way” players working out?? God forbid we acquire a player that actually scores goals!!!

lol totally agree. everyone on here seems to be concerned with everyones 200ft game and defensive responsibilities and that. i just want someone that can score goals and if he can still do it then i want him. whats the give? i don't know but i doubt its as much as people expect esp if he doesn't want to stay there.

Reactions: mdj12784

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I agree with you more often then not but I have to completely disagree with you on Laine. He had a horrible, horrible, year last season and there’s just no way around that. With that said, he’s an immense talent and has one of the better shots in this league. He would bring an element to our team we’re desperately lacking and that’s a clear cut sniper, on a team that is pass happy 24/7. We also have one of the best up and coming playmakers in the game who is paired with another pass happy winger but is doing his best to score goals this year and is actually leading the team doing so. The fact of the matter is that you can only pray for a combo that would bring Jack’s vision with Laine’s deadly release. Does he have a perfect 200 foot game, absolutely not but that’s why you have 3 forwards who can bring different aspects to a line, making it a well balanced line.

The kid started his career scoring goals like it was no big deal, got demoted for whatever reason, traded to Columbus where Torts tried to change his game when he was drafted 2nd overall to score goals, had Max Domi as his #1 center and his father just passed away.

I understand we view hockey players or pro athletes in a different light but at the end of the day, they’re human being just like you and I and having to deal with all of that can be challenging and evidently, it was for him. With that said, he’s playing really well this year despite the fact he has average players around him and most of his points are being scored at even strength. He already has the same amount of pts he had last year, in 21 less games played, with roughly the same roster!

This notion that we’d be acquiring the new version of Michael Ryder is flawed and borderline ludicrous. If we can land the trigger man Jack desperately needs to get the best out of him, for Mercer and Tatar (to balance out the books more then anything else), I’m pulling the trigger on that deal without thinking twice. That doesn’t take away the fact that we still need players who will win board battles and go hard to the net, as I’ve been asking for just that for 2 years now.

To me, the perfect line would be that hard nose player we both want, Jack and Laine. We can then pair Bratt with Nico and slide Holtz on the right side on our 2nd line. Now that would be a solid top #6 with a "grinder", playmaker and sniper on each line. I mean, we drafted Alex Holtz so he can do just that and yes, he’s posting up good numbers in Utica but he’s far from a lock to be anywhere close to what Patrick has already proven at the NHL level.

Certainly a good argument, but you're very much underselling Dawson Mercer. This is easy to do, as selling Laine simply takes memory -- which we all have, while selling Mercer takes projection -- which is extremely difficult. Because how do we know that, if we move Mercer to Hughes' RW next year, that he won't be able to provide comparable offense while also playing an elite level 200-foot game?

Mercer is on his ELC and extremely inexpensive. He is nowhere near his talent ceiling, and yet we've almost never seen a kid his age with such consistency of elite compete level and hockey IQ. We have to assume his development arc is tremendous. Though he may not have Laine's 40-goal potential, it is not beyond the realm of comprehension -- even a little -- that Mercer can become a 60-point player who can dig pucks out of corners, play terrific defense, create and finish -- while also offering the versatility to play center and slot virtually anywhere in the line-up. Mercer is a player who can be held off the scoresheet and still positively impact the game to a great degree -- Laine is not.

Even with the most optimistic view of Laine's ability to return to the impact of his first two seasons, you would have to hold that up against an equally optimistic view of what Mercer could offer the Devils. For the money and in the win loss column, I feel it's very hard to justify the idea that Laine would be better for the future of the NJ team in a vacuum, much less when you factor in their salaries. It's just a poor trade proposal any way you look at it, except with the unrealistic slant that Laine will return to former effectiveness while Dawson Mercer does not progress close to his own potential. Therefore, it's just a bad trade idea.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Certainly a good argument, but you're very much underselling Dawson Mercer. This is easy to do, as selling Laine simply takes memory -- which we all have, while selling Mercer takes projection -- which is extremely difficult. Because how do we know that, if we move Mercer to Hughes' RW next year, that he won't be able to provide comparable offense while also playing an elite level 200-foot game?

Mercer is on his ELC and extremely inexpensive. He is nowhere near his talent ceiling, and yet we've almost never seen a kid his age with such consistency of elite compete level and hockey IQ. We have to assume his development arc is tremendous. Though he may not have Laine's 40-goal potential, it is not beyond the realm of comprehension -- even a little -- that Mercer can become a 60-point player who can dig pucks out of corners, play terrific defense, create and finish -- while also offering the versatility to play center and slot virtually anywhere in the line-up. Mercer is a player who can be held off the scoresheet and still positively impact the game to a great degree -- Laine is not.

Even with the most optimistic view of Laine's ability to return to the impact of his first two seasons, you would have to hold that up against an equally optimistic view of what Mercer could offer the Devils. For the money and in the win loss column, I feel it's very hard to justify the idea that Laine would be better for the future of the NJ team in a vacuum, much less when you factor in their salaries. It's just a poor trade proposal any way you look at it, except with the unrealistic slant that Laine will return to former effectiveness while Dawson Mercer does not progress close to his own potential. Therefore, it's just a bad trade idea.

Laine is already back to his old form, despite playing on a team that doesn’t have the potential stars and the playmaker he needs in order to be that goal machine he was in Winnipeg, in Columbus. The guy is at a PPG pace and has an even rating when 90% of the team is a minus. I understand that +/- isn’t the best of stats but for someone who’s being knocked for his piss poor defensive game, it’s somewhat telling when the rest of the team is way far below his current pace.

I do understand the salary part of it all and that’s where it becomes more complicated, I’ll give you that but the argument that a 30/40 goal scorer is almost useless because he doesn’t dig pucks out of corners doesn’t make much sense to me. We can get that forward some other way and pair him with Hughes and Laine, making that line a well balanced line. Everyone has to have a role and at the moment, we’re lacking a legit sniper and we have too many pass happy forwards.

Like I said, I’m a HUGE fan of Mercer and said a few months back that he’d take Nico’s place as our 2nd line center in no time, so I have high hopes for the kid. However, I’d rather have a Laine-Hughes duo + Nico-Bratt-Holtz top #6 then playing Jack-Nico and Dawson down the middle or possibly bringing Dawson on the wing. Mercer even stated that he prefers to play down the middle, so why shift him on the wing at a position he doesn’t really like, just because we have no options at wing? It just seems, to me, that we have too many round pegs and we’re trying to force them in square holes.

This team can’t wait for whoever we’re drafting this year to make an impact for us in 3 years. We handed out big deals to what is supposed to be our core players and we need to make moves that will show some actual results in the standings sooner rather then later. I don’t think Fitz can say to our owners to lock up Nico at 7M+, Jack at 8M, Dougie at 9M, Bratt at something around +/- 6.5M, all on long term deals, and still suck for the next couple of years.

Last edited:

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I’m all for making a trade to change the trajectory of the team but I don’t think a guy like Laine should be the target. We need big strong wingers who can forecheck, get into the greasy areas, take a hit, AND score. Laine literally only does one of those things well.

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
After watching a few devils games this season and following Patrik for most of his pro career, New Jersey should trade and sign him for a long term deal.

I know Hughes; Hischier and Bratt are probably untouchable, but what about a deal around Dawson Mercer and picks?

Huges with Laine or Nico as Patriks center would be gravy and with Dougie quarterbacking the PP they would be absolutely lethal together.

Columbus are in for a rebuild and I think Mercer is the type of player they would love to aqquire, can he also play center?

Looking at capfriendly I think you have capspace to sign him long term and get this team back into the playoffs.

No and again no, even for free or late draft pick
We don't need a lazy player

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It’s almost like the problem is that we don’t actually have enough good players yet. Not that the players we have are two way players. It’s also funny that Hughes is scoring at a better rate than Laine so far. We have 3 good top six forwards in 86, 63, and 13 at this point and a few players who I would consider middle 6 in 17, 18, and 11. That’s what our problem is. We would not be better off trading a much better all around player in Bratt who does everything well. He plays well defensively, is great in transition, creates chances for teammates all while scoring at a bit lower rate than Laine (34 vs 27 goal pace) who literally does nothing else. Laine isn’t the player he looked like he was going to be at the start of his career and he doesn’t seem to have the best attitude or work ethic.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Laine is already back to his old form, despite playing on a team that doesn’t have the potential stars and the playmaker he needs in order to be that goal machine he was in Winnipeg, in Columbus. The guy is at a PPG pace and has an even rating when 90% of the team is a minus. I understand that +/- isn’t the best of stats but for someone who’s being knocked for his piss poor defensive game, it’s somewhat telling when the rest of the team is way far below his current pace.

I do understand the salary part of it all and that’s where it becomes more complicated, I’ll give you that but the argument that a 30/40 goal scorer is almost useless because he doesn’t dig pucks out of corners doesn’t make much sense to me. We can get that forward some other way and pair him with Hughes and Laine, making that line a well balanced line. Everyone has to have a role and at the moment, we’re lacking a legit sniper and we have too many pass happy forwards.

Like I said, I’m a HUGE fan of Mercer and said a few months back that he’d take Nico’s place as our 2nd line center in no time, so I have high hopes for the kid. However, I’d rather have a Laine-Hughes duo + Nico-Bratt-Holtz top #6 then playing Jack-Nico and Dawson down the middle or possibly bringing Dawson on the wing. Mercer even stated that he prefers to play down the middle, so why shift him on the wing at a position he doesn’t really like, just because we have no options at wing? It just seems, to me, that we have too many round pegs and we’re trying to force them in square holes.

This team can’t wait for whoever we’re drafting this year to make an impact for us in 3 years. We handed out big deals to what is supposed to be our core players and we need to make moves that will show some actual results in the standings sooner rather then later. I don’t think Fitz can say to our owners to lock up Nico at 7M+, Jack at 8M, Dougie at 9M, Bratt at something around +/- 6.5M, all on long term deals, and still suck for the next couple of years.
He’s not a PPG player btw. On pace for 34 goals and 72 points. Using plus minus is also a terrible argument. It could be completely coincidental or there could be reasons. Maybe they aren’t putting him out in defensive situations or against the others teams best offensive players. I have no clue but plus minus is not telling of his defensive game at all.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
He’s not a PPG player btw. On pace for 34 goals and 72 points. Using plus minus is also a terrible argument. It could be completely coincidental or there could be reasons. Maybe they aren’t putting him out in defensive situations or against the others teams best offensive players. I have no clue but plus minus is not telling of his defensive game at all.

Ok, sorry… he’s very very very very close to being a PPG player, just like Bratt and Jack.

Who would need such a player who scores 30 goals with his eyes closed while playing with nobody that has the vision Jack, Jesper and borderline Mercer has, in Columbus.

Talk about a guy I’d hate to have on my team.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Getting strong Jeff Skinner vibes if NJ trades for Laine, have to trade for him then give him a monster extension or else he leaves in a year. It would be a bold move and his game would help in NJ but I'm not sold.

Reactions: TBF1972 and Guadana

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Ok, sorry… he’s very very very very close to being a PPG player, just like Bratt and Jack.

Who would need such a player who scores 30 goals with his eyes closed while playing with nobody that has the vision Jack, Jesper and borderline Mercer has, in Columbus.

Talk about a guy I’d hate to have on my team.
Jack and Jesper are at a 79 and 80 point pace.
And I’m not against it. But the price would definitely be too high for me. I’m also not sure why you think he scores 30 goals with his eyes closed. He put up a 21 goal pace last year and has bounced back at a 34 goal pace this year.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Jack and Jesper are at a 79 and 80 point pace.
And I’m not against it. But the price would definitely be too high for me. I’m also not sure why you think he scores 30 goals with his eyes closed. He put up a 21 goal pace last year and has bounced back at a 34 goal pace this year.

I don’t know why I have to bring up the same arguments over and over to counter the flawed picture that is being painted of Laine but if you look back at a couple of my posts, you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Also, I’ll take the average of what he’s done in 5 of the 6 years he’s been in the league over one horrible season. Add to the fact that he has absolutely nobody to compliment his game in Columbus and yes, Laine would put up a minimum of 30 goals a year in NJ, guaranteed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad