Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If this is the guy I am thinking of, he isn't the most credible insider ever, but he does get some stuff right. Mainly with Montreal.
Let me put it this way. That guy's been known for so long to be a joke that that account was an automatic "close this thread as invalidly sourced" back when I was still moderating TR&FA... which was over a decade ago.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
If you can't tell that that is a BS account then I question your media literacy.
25k followers, and I saw that tweet pop up and put it here (in the span of 15 seconds). No i didn’t go through their entire Twitter thread - I don’t follow them. But looking now they are followed by quite a few notable blue checkmarks in the hockey world. You know you don’t have to be a condescending d*** right?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
If the value is that low, there is, in my opinion, no harm at all in playing him. It might not actually go any lower based on what I read on the mains :D.

Seriously, play him if he's healthy so he can get the rust off and show he can shoot the puck and play. Without it, I don't see any way his value would go up. Now the real question is are there any GMs out there that already feel he still holds decent value. if so, make that deal. I think that's clearly what GMDW is trying to ascertain. I prefer it not go to camp but I also don't advocate selling pennies on the dollar unless it truly woudl be a horrible situation for the team dynamic they want to build with Evason.

I think there is potentially harm to be done if Laine starts the season in a CBJ sweater in the form of Laine and Elvis will be huge distractions and this team currently does not have a strong enough leadership group to overcome that. I want the focus to be on the young guys who do want to be here and the new GM and coach. Laine and Elvis have so much personal pride I think there's almost zero chance Laine either of them quit on the team or only give a half #$%^ effort but as long as they're here the focus is going to be on them.

If I'm Waddell and someone comes along and offers a couple 2nd rounders at Laine's full cap hit or very minimal retention with one of them upgrading to a 1st if Laine hits 30 goals or 75 games or something I'm taking it. No, it wouldn't be an upgrade but it would be capital to use towards filling roster holes in the future.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Let me put it this way. That guy's been known for so long to be a joke that that account was an automatic "close this thread as invalidly sourced" back when I was still moderating TR&FA... which was over a decade ago.
So not who I was thinking of. lol

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
25k followers, and I saw that tweet pop up and put it here (in the span of 15 seconds). No i didn’t go through their entire Twitter thread - I don’t follow them. But looking now they are followed by quite a few notable blue checkmarks in the hockey world. You know you don’t have to be a condescending d*** right?

If you pretend to be a Habs insider you can probably get 25k followers in a few years.

I don't mean to put on airs, I just get angry at bullshit acounts.

Reactions: Cowumbus and Koira

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I think there is potentially harm to be done if Laine starts the season in a CBJ sweater in the form of Laine and Elvis will be huge distractions and this team currently does not have a strong enough leadership group to overcome that. I want the focus to be on the young guys who do want to be here and the new GM and coach. Laine and Elvis have so much personal pride I think there's almost zero chance Laine either of them quit on the team or only give a half #$%^ effort but as long as they're here the focus is going to be on them.

If I'm Waddell and someone comes along and offers a couple 2nd rounders at Laine's full cap hit or very minimal retention with one of them upgrading to a 1st if Laine hits 30 goals or 75 games or something I'm taking it. No, it wouldn't be an upgrade but it would be capital to use towards filling roster holes in the future.
Thing is... I don't think Laine would be any problem. He wasn't in WPG after requesting a trade (although some question whether he actually did). He's a professional and I don't think him acting out or being anything other than professional helps his future. Now, I don't disagree that it would/could be a distraction with what is a known request, but hopefully it doesn't come to that for us to find out how the situation would present itself if he's retained into camp/season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Thing is... I don't think Laine would be any problem. He wasn't in WPG after requesting a trade (although some question whether he actually did). He's a professional and I don't think him acting out or being anything other than professional helps his future. Now, I don't disagree that it would/could be a distraction with what is a known request, but hopefully it doesn't come to that for us to find out how the situation would present itself if he's retained into camp/season.
I don’t necessarily share domi28’s concern but they could be counterproductive just be being here. They don’t have to be actively creating problems to just have the locker room off focus.

Last edited:

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Cheesecake of any kind is a terrible deal for a chocolate cake. Waddell better know what he’s doing.
What a bizarre statement. Cheesecake has consistently been superior to chocolate cake. And the underlying numbers back it up. Its Tastiness Above Replacement has been sky-high for years.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Players are not stupid. They know full well why he asked for a trade and if he stayed, the reason for disinterest. After all, anyone can ask for a trade. If he comes prepared, works hard and plays well, they won't care if he asked for a trade or not. Also they like him, Werenski and Gaudreau said it on WC in Czechia.

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
What a bizarre statement. Cheesecake has consitently been superior to chocolate cake. And the underlying numbers back it up. Its Tastiness Above Replacement has been sky-high for years.
Of course, the winning answer is chocolate cheesecake but nobody is going to be offering that with the current value of chocolate cake unless we add .

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Honestly is there any bad cake, except for urinal cakes.
This is probably my personal favorite, I need to bake it at least once a summer

1722603908236.png

(Yes, nothing to do with the topic)

Reactions: CannonFire1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00