Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If the value is that low, there is, in my opinion, no harm at all in playing him. It might not actually go any lower based on what I read on the mains :D.

Seriously, play him if he's healthy so he can get the rust off and show he can shoot the puck and play. Without it, I don't see any way his value would go up. Now the real question is are there any GMs out there that already feel he still holds decent value. if so, make that deal. I think that's clearly what GMDW is trying to ascertain. I prefer it not go to camp but I also don't advocate selling pennies on the dollar unless it truly woudl be a horrible situation for the team dynamic they want to build with Evason.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Here are the possible scenarios:

1) He plays really well. Trade value goes up.
2) He plays just ok. Trade value stays about the same.
3) We hold him out saying we are trading him. Trade value stays about the same.
4) He gets injured. Trade value drops.
5) He plays badly. Trade value drops.

I think if he plays "ok", which I would take to mean around his career average in terms of production, would actually boost his trade value. I'm not sure holding him out wouldn't affect his trade value negatively. What an injury would do to his trade value I'm not sure, I mean obviously lower it in a vacuum, but if he plays well pre-injury and depending on what that injury is and how it comes about, net effect could still be positive.

If he actually plays really well, then I think his trade value would go up very considerably. Personally I just don't see the point in holding him out early in the season. Around TDL it would be completely different.

Reactions: Monk

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Let's not forget that Laine probably won't play well early in the season. He did not have to play in a long time, plus one's now recovering from surgery, albeit a minor one.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If the reason we haven’t traded him already is because his value is low, then we don’t really lose anything playing him, even if he gets injured. If, without retention, we’re just hoping for a couple beans that might end up being magical, then meh anyway.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Let's not forget that Laine probably won't play well early in the season. He did not have to play in a long time, plus one's now recovering from surgery, albeit a minor one.

There's pre-season and it's a level playing field, everyone is coming off a long break.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I was scratching my head a little bit (ignoring the "ownership is cheap" line of thinking) and then started thinking that maybe we don't want to retain because we already have two retention slots taken (Wennberg and Boqvist, both running for exactly two more seasons). So we only have one more slot left right now.

Could it simply be that Waddell wants a non-retained trade so that he can keep a retention slot open for a possible Merzlikins buyout after this year? Would make a lot of sense at least. Laine has some value (from future considerations to something++) so Waddell probably feels he can make something happen easier than e.g. Elvis if Elvis's play doesn't improve this season.

That would apply to all retention though, doesn't matter if it's 1% of 50%...
Agree. Your thought (I bolded it) is spot on.

Waddell prays that Elvis plays well so that the buyout after this season is not necessary (either Elvis becomes tradeable with some retention or becomes legit #1 for CBJ). As far-fetched as those possibilities sometime seem....Waddell has said he is not buying out Elvis this summer. And Elvis and his contract are currently untradeable for ANYTHING.

On the other hand, Waddell indicates that he already can get x with 50% retention for Laine, so Waddell knows he can get something less than x without retention - the questions are when that happens and how much less than x, but NOT if that happens.
The question about Elvis is a clear IF.

CBJ is not making PO's this season (at least not the anticipated result), so Waddell can afford to wait out the Merzlikens situation for the season and wait out Laine for a few months...so long neither of them are/become a cancer in the room or on the ice that affects development of the team/other players (as some of us posters fear).

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think if he plays "ok", which I would take to mean around his career average in terms of production, would actually boost his trade value. I'm not sure holding him out wouldn't affect his trade value negatively. What an injury would do to his trade value I'm not sure, I mean obviously lower it in a vacuum, but if he plays well pre-injury and depending on what that injury is and how it comes about, net effect could still be positive.

If he actually plays really well, then I think his trade value would go up very considerably. Personally I just don't see the point in holding him out early in the season. Around TDL it would be completely different.
If he played here, he could theoretically change his mind. After all, a new experienced coach who was previously nominated for the Jack Adams Award, a new GM (we don't know how Jarmo handled him) could change the situation. Unless, of course, anyone else is behind the request.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
There's pre-season and it's a level playing field, everyone is coming off a long break.
Do you think 18 games, part after concussion and at least 50 games are the same thing? Remember Nyquist, Werenski (Zach also started badly). With that said, we don't know if/when he started skating practice. And because he finishes his recovery, it's quality.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think if he plays "ok", which I would take to mean around his career average in terms of production, would actually boost his trade value.

I mean ok as less than normal Laine, but not bad. Let’s say 6 goals and 4 assists in 15 games. Averaging about 16 minutes and 3 shots per game.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I mean ok as less than normal Laine, but not bad. Let’s say 6 goals and 4 assists in 15 games. Averaging about 16 minutes and 3 shots per game.
There's going to be few games for GM, so that would still make the price lower. He would have to play at least 40 games and have more than 20 goals and 1PPG to really make his price higher. Also one can't get injured.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
I was wondering if they will just hold him out because of this. Someone major will get injured in the first month of the season and then the team will have the cap space for a retained Laine. Injured again Laine will have negative trade value. Is it worth the risk of playing him?
Yes it is worth the risk. Holding him out won't increase his trade value.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
I like Waddell's approach. Immediately caving to a player trade request or panicking at the deadine is how you get taken to the cleaners, like we did for Marian Gaborik, Jeff Carter and Rick Nash.

Reactions: majormajor

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
If he's a distraction and is the cause of creating disinterest in his services elsewhere then he needs to go back in that program as his head still isn't on straight. I think he's smarter than that and getting better advice understanding the reality of the situation.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
The twitter comment under the reporters quote says that Wads went on to say that he was joking. I don't know if that's true, but it's not hard to believe that Wads would joke like that.
He probably is joking, but sometimes even jokes can have a hint of seriousness in them.

That isn’t to say I think Laine is going to Carolina or it’s close or anything, but I don’t doubt that he was potentially confirming that the two sides are talking. Which isn’t exactly world breaking news since we all kinda assumed they have interest in him.

Reactions: CBJx614

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
@CBJWerenski8 If Jarvis signed a contract like Nečas - $6,500,000 and Fast - $2,400,000 - LTIR, Carolina would have $2,340,000 available. In addition to Nečas, there are two players without NMC, NTC or M-NTC whose salary would clear the salary cap. Orlov and Kotkaniemi. The question is who would want them and whether Orlov leaving, even for a cheaper player, would hurt the defense. In his case, a Carolina fan would have to speak up. Besides, somehow I doubt Waddell would agree to trade Kotkaniemi for Laine + retaining any salary.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If this is the guy I am thinking of, he isn't the most credible insider ever, but he does get some stuff right. Mainly with Montreal.

That's not an insider at all.

People pick up on what actual insiders say and try and tweet it out first. And end up mostly tweeting out nonsense. Two days ago he said a Laine deal was being finalized to Montreal.

Look at that account. It's obviously a stupid person trying to get cred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium