Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Our long national nightmare is nearing its end….
I wouldn't hold your breath yet

Remember how long it took Winnipeg to trade him? Not saying that's gonna happen, but it's a possibility if we're not getting offers that are good enough.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Trade for Necas - seems like a fair/change of scenery type not unproven picks or McGroarty.

Or

He plays here and the changes helps him get going back to 40-50 goal scorer.

This is my hope.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Trade for Necas - seems like a fair/change of scenery type not unproven picks or McGroarty.

Or

He plays here and the changes helps him get going back to 40-50 goal scorer.

This is my hope.

What we could is an early 20s left D who knows how to use his body to force people outside or clear the front of the net and doesn’t get caught out of position.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What we could is an early 20s left D who knows how to use his body to force people outside or clear the front of the net and doesn’t get caught out of position.
Well, I got an agreement with at least one Pens fan that was basically Laine for Petterson...

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Well, I got an agreement with at least one Pens fan that was basically Laine for Petterson...

I want someone with some team control or a couple of years left on a contract. Go Werenski-Provorov-X this year and maybe Werenski-X-Mateychuk for a couple of years and then Werenski-Mateychuk-?

I could see Laine in Saint Louis. Borderline playoff team. Not too much of a microscope. They have some cap space. Maybe some sort of 3 way trade where we get a defenseman, Saint Louis gets Laine, and a third team gets a Saint Louis 1st round draft pick and a prospect and retains a little.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I want someone with some team control or a couple of years left on a contract. Go Werenski-Provorov-X this year and maybe Werenski-X-Mateychuk for a couple of years and then Werenski-Mateychuk-?

I could see Laine in Saint Louis. Borderline playoff team. Not too much of a microscope. They have some cap space. Maybe some sort of 3 way trade where we get a defenseman, Saint Louis gets Laine, and a third team gets a Saint Louis 1st round draft pick and a prospect and retains a little.
I'd certainly prefer that, but Petterson with a chance to extend would tide me over.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Of the rumored interested teams, where would everyone like to see him going?

Not sure if he'd go to Canada, but Habs fans seem generally most excited about the idea, so I guess I'm cheering for them.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Which are the rumoured teams? That one tweet some pages back? Not sure I really put much stock to that or similar...

Of Canadian teams I could see Vancouver making sense for Patty. Nice city, not as crazed as some of the other Canadian markets, competitive... He might do well to avoid Toronto and Montreal, even if they could give him a better supporting cast (well Toronto could).

Teams I'd hope he'd go to, purely selfish perspective - Florida, Carolina, Dallas, Utah... Nashville would be interesting. I'd like to see the Ducks and Seattle too. Or basically any team with a Finnish connection would be sweet or a team I've been fond of since childhood (so Detroit, it would take some work but I could rekindle that relationship).

At this point I just hope it's not Washington, Philly, or Vegas. :D (VGK or WSH might be good environments for him though.)

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Which are the rumoured teams? That one tweet some pages back? Not sure I really put much stock to that or similar...

Of Canadian teams I could see Vancouver making sense for Patty. Nice city, not as crazed as some of the other Canadian markets, competitive... He might do well to avoid Toronto and Montreal, even if they could give him a better supporting cast (well Toronto could).

Teams I'd hope he'd go to, purely selfish perspective - Florida, Carolina, Dallas, Utah... Nashville would be interesting. I'd like to see the Ducks and Seattle too. Or basically any team with a Finnish connection would be sweet or a team I've been fond of since childhood (so Detroit, it would take some work but I could rekindle that relationship).

At this point I just hope it's not Washington, Philly, or Vegas. :D (VGK or WSH might be good environments for him though.)
There really isn't any valid rumors, so just anything you've seen goes. General idea I've gotten is the teams with cap space + Caps, Wild, Kings, Pengs

Last edited:
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

St. Louis does not need him:
Lumii_20240728_101212322.jpg

still Dvorský can play.

Hmm, I really don't know where he could play. Many players have M-NTC. Also many teams do not want him. If yes they have nothing to offer. Or it is possibility Laine has them on no trade list.

Last edited:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Of the rumored interested teams, where would everyone like to see him going?

Not sure if he'd go to Canada, but Habs fans seem generally most excited about the idea, so I guess I'm cheering for them.
As a Habs fan, I'd love to add Laine.

1. We have the cap space. If that's the direction CLB's management wants to go.
2. We have the draft picks. Plus some interesting young prospects.
3. We have a top 6 role that is screaming his name.

One of the issues that's been brought up on the Habs board is Laine's mental health. More so how he would handle the spot light of playing in Montreal. Personally I don't think it's quite as bad as what is reported. Especially since half our crazy media is French based. So he wouldn't understand them anyways ;)
Also I'd recommend that Laine doesn't sign up here on HFB lol

The other issue is whether or not Laine would have the Habs on his 10 team no trade list.

Under our previous management. I would probably be against adding Laine. With our new management team. They've shown so far that they are very supportive of their players.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Ducks fan coming in peace.

Just wondering, would you guys prefer to retain max on Laine to maximize the return or a situation where they can trade him with no retention or cap coming back for a reduced return?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Just wondering, would you guys prefer to retain max on Laine to maximize the return or a situation where they can trade him with no retention or cap coming back for a reduced return?
I think that's not a fixed scenario. I think we'd rather not retain but if the difference in return is enough would consider it. It's completely dependent on each offer/discussion.

Make two offers - one from each perspective - and I'll tell you which I prefer. :)

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

You do realize the fans rioted and tried to burn their city down when the Canucks lost the SCF to Boston in 2011.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

The thought process I have settled on personally is I will take draft picks only for Laine, as long as you take the full contract with no retention.

If you want me to retain, I want an actual trade.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I think that's not a fixed scenario. I think we'd rather not retain but if the difference in return is enough would consider it. It's completely dependent on each offer/discussion.

Make two offers - one from each perspective - and I'll tell you which I prefer. :)
Honestly I hate making proposals, especially in a situation like this where depending on how you value Laine with the risk in his play/health/mental state along with his upside, there could be a huge gap in value.

I will offend someone no matter what. Obviously I dont want to trade a 1st from the Ducks considering they are likely still going to be top 10 picks the next couple years.

What would you want from the Ducks?

The thought process I have settled on personally is I will take draft picks only for Laine, as long as you take the full contract with no retention.

If you want me to retain, I want an actual trade.
From the Ducks perspective I see no reason to involve any retention or cap going back. It could be a straight futures return.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Could LaCombe or Hinds be available? We could really use a solid defensive LD prospect.
I would say they both could be available. The Ducks have Minty and Zellweger on the left side for the future so I dont see any reason at all either of those guys wouldnt be available.

Edit: What do you guys think a deal would look like around one of those guys?

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He might not have a choice if no trade Waddell judges fair materializes, and Laine is smart enough to realize a trade is more likely if he comes back healthy.
Then Patty himself would have changed his mind, at least for the time being. I also feel like Waddell is really pushing to make it happen. But you're not wrong, of course.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
You do realize the fans rioted and tried to burn their city down when the Canucks lost the SCF to Boston in 2011.
Good point, maybe it's just as bad as the others. But I kinda feel it has a different ethos regardless (more international/less Canadian) and allows a little bit more anonymity around the city. I would imagine the subset (%) of hockey fans is smaller than in Toronto, Montreal etc and there's a lot more folks who don't care one way or another. But I could be wrong, have never been so just basing this on how Vancouver is often lauded for non-hockey things and the sheer population and closeness to American cities. Admittedly I didn't realize it's actually much less populous than Toronto and Montreal so maybe this is all just in my head. :D

If Patty has to start the season in Columbus, I think he'll suck it up and try to play his best to make a trade materialize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad