Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
You're not factoring in the part where Laine asked to be traded. Yeah a new GM and coach could and likely should help. But if Waddell talks to him and Laine still asks to be traded none of that matters.
We're talking about his play and his place in the roster (fit/don't fit). The fact that he asked to be traded and other GMs are trying to take advantage of him being on the NHLPA/NHL program is another matter.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
We're talking about his play and his place in the roster (fit/don't fit). The fact that he asked to be traded and other GMs are trying to take advantage of him being on the NHLPA/NHL program is another matter.
It's a hard situation to try to predict. I don't really factor in last year as a good indicator of the future. New coach, new GM, new system, but mostly the same guys. While it would be nice to give Laine a chance, he's shown 0 chemistry with Gaudreau. I don't know where that leaves him. If he doesn't mesh with Fantilli, then what?

Edit: not even factoring in that he hasn't played more than 60 games in a season,. We're paying $9M for 50ish games a season. Over the course of his contract we're paying for an entire season of him sitting on the sidelines if that continues over the rest of his deal.

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I don't see what's the problem - if Laine stays healthy he'll likely produce far more than you can hope from Chinny/Marchenko/etc. and if he misses 30 games again, then that's plenty of opportunity where he is not blocking the youth :P

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
So they should take on another bad contract just to do it? How does that make any logical sense? For example, gifting Montreal by taking their Anderson or Gallagher albatrosses. Signed for slightly less and much longer. Far worse than just simply keeping Laine for two years.

No, possibly taking back a bad contract would be in addition to draft picks that are heavy on conditions Laine would need to hit. Then Waddell can turn around and possibly flip those assets for more immediate needs. Try to make a deal with a team that is going to have the cap space to fit Laine in and would actually be interested in him. It's dang near impossible.

Like it or not Laine has just as many red flags as he does potential when healthy so it's either trade him and take what you can get or tell him tough luck, suck it up, and deal with the media circus if he's still on the roster when preseason camp starts. If he doesn't want to be here he doesn't want to be here.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Yet he is 53rd in goals per game and 83rd in points per game from that four season span.

If we change the timeframe to include his production only from the beginning of his current contract, he is 53rd in goals per game and 78th in point per game for last two seasons.

Now if we cherry pick a little and ignore his first season in CBJ, he is 40th in goals per game and 58th in points per game.

With the amount of games he has played since signing his current contract, no he is not worth the 8.7m. But if he was healthy and scored at the rate we have seen him to be able to in 21-22 and 22-23, he would be worth it.
Then again, if my grandma had wheels she'd be a bike.

tldr;;;;
Would be stupid to just "cut bait" and take a 💩 deal to trade a first liner, especially when it is highly unlikely the said player would not bring his best game to the end, unlike another diva did on this same team.

Soring rates don't win games. Actual goals and assists do and Laine is far behind in that regard. Add in his trade request and cap hit and he's approaching a negative asset.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It's a hard situation to try to predict. I don't really factor in last year as a good indicator of the future. New coach, new GM, new system, but mostly the same guys. While it would be nice to give Laine a chance, he's shown 0 chemistry with Gaudreau. I don't know where that leaves him. If he doesn't mesh with Fantilli, then what?

Edit: not even factoring in that he hasn't played more than 60 games in a season,. We're paying $9M for 50ish games a season. Over the course of his contract we're paying for an entire season of him sitting on the sidelines if that continues over the rest of his deal.
If you look at his injuries, it was an unfortunate coincidencep.

2022/23 - Elbow injury after hitting Pesce at full speed, twisted ankle , COVID, triceps strain
2023/24 - concussion, fractured collarbone

Effectively what happens to someone with 5 seasons, happens to him with 2.

----

According to the stats, he was improving Gaudreau's game, Johnny was making his worse. And that chemistry wasn't ideal? One had great stats with other players, made players better, see naturalstattrick. His chemistry with Jenner and Chinakhov is excellent. Also Johnson - Sillinger - Laine line played good.

I expect he won't play extra in October and November, one hasn't played in a long time, but after that things should get better.

Reactions: weslox

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Waddell was asked about Patrik Laine, who is receiving treatment for undisclosed reasons within the NHL/NHLPA's joint player assistance program.

Nothing had changed as of Tuesday with that status, which means nothing has changed regarding Waddell’s ability to trade the Finnish forward. It largely hinges on interested opposing GMs speaking with Laine, who can't speak to NHL GMs or Waddell while he’s in the NHL/NHLPA program. Waddell is staying in close contact with Laine’s agent, Octagon’s Andy Scott, who has not replied to inquiries from the Dispatch about the trade request.

Waddell said that Laine still wants a change of scenery trade after four frustrating, injury-plagued seasons in Columbus.Even when Laine is cleared, Waddell may struggle to find a suitable return. Laine played just 18 games last season and has battled numerous injuries during his time with the Jackets. A video surfaced last week of Laine going through offseason conditioning workouts with NFL players in Florida, but he’s still being treated in the NHL/NHLPA program.“I continue to get a few calls from teams, just checking in,” Waddell said. “I talk to his agent almost every day or every other day or so. I’ve had enough calls, so there’s at least some interest. Obviously, some teams have gone in a different direction with the salary cap and all that, but I’m pretty confident that we’ll be able to make a deal with him before the season.”
Waddell also said all options remain on the table, including the remote possibility that Laine is forced to stay with the Blue Jackets long enough to boost his trade value. The Jackets’ GM doesn’t feel pressured to accept a package he doesn’t like.

“We’ve got plenty of money under the salary cap,” Waddell said. “So, if we can find something suitable, there’s no reason we wouldn’t do it. But I’ve got to protect the organization, so you’ve got to make the decision based on what the market is. If there’s a good market, you’re going to be happy with it. If the market’s soft, then we have to make a decision about what we do.”

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Basically we ain't taking your Cap dumps for 50% Laine retention so y'all from other fanbases need to quit posting dumb trade ideas and fake trade rumors on twitter...

Its starting to look like Laine is gonna start in October in Columbus
Why, at least it's fun. 😼

Seedtype

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Man, sounds like this is gonna be it then. I was kinda hoping he start off the season in Columbus if we couldn't get a good roster player now.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Man, sounds like this is gonna be it then. I was kinda hoping he start off the season in Columbus if we couldn't get a good roster player now.
This has been known for a long time. But not every draft pick and prospect are the same. Also don't forgot Laine has 10 non trade teams.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
If the main framework was McGroarty for Laine I wonder how much else we'd have to give up. Protected 1st?
McGroarty is good but he's not this prospect that can command multiple 1st people think he is. Laine at 30% for McGroarty is actually a fair trade. A 5-6mil Laine is actually a fair exchange if you value a mid round 1st draft pick at 4-5mil with that cost on retention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad