Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (CBJ, Laine agree to seek trade)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm the biggest advocate on the Bruins board that the Bruins system, culture, leadership and position at DeBrusk's departure is the PERFECT place for Laine to end up. Boston has pieces to move and cap space that would certainly make them good trading partners.

In the end, I would rather gamble on a fresh-start Laine in Boston on a two-year contract playing with Lindholm and Pastrnak over any UFA on the market.
Btw, Laine played better with Jenner, Nyquist, Chinakhov or Roslovic than playmakers Gaudreau and Voráček.

So his ideal partners might be:

Morgan Geekie
Charlie Coyle

For example:

Frederick - Coyle - Laine

He would have to shoot in that line. Similar like Larsen made Nyquist - Jenner - Laine line so that he shooter and not passed. I loved Chinakhov - Roslovic - Laine line too.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Btw, Laine played better with Jenner, Nyquist, Chinakhov or Roslovic than playmakers Gaudreau and Voráček.

Morgan Geekie
Charlie Coyle

For example:

He would have to shoot in that line. Similar like Larsen made Nyquist - Jenner - Laine line so that he shooter and not passed. I loved Chinakhov - Roslovic - Laine line too.
Problem is, I think any deal for Laine is one where Columbus asks for Frederic given his skillset, age and contract.

Morgan Geekie
Charlie Coyle

For example:

Did he ever play the slot/bumper role on the PP?

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
What is the need for Columbus right now? I'm assuming hockey trade means a player ready to jump right into the lineup and have an impact?
Kinda depends on what happens tomorrow or the next couple of days.

We need a top end player to fill the role that Laine was supposed to be filling first and foremost.

We need size and grit on the blueline

We need a dependable goalie that can stay healthy.

I expect the blueline issue to somewhat be answered via UFA. The goalie issue I don't think gets solved this season.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

We need a top end player to fill the role that Laine was supposed to be filling first and foremost.

I expect the blueline issue to somewhat be answered via UFA. The goalie issue I don't think gets solved this season.
If Boston retained on Korpisalo (50%) and he was traded to Columbus for 4 years at $1,500,000 does that fill the need temporarily? Then he becomes the backup.

I can easily see Columbus signing Toffoli or DeBrusk to replace Laine then focusing on getting someone like Frederic for him.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
If Boston retained on Korpisalo (50%) and he was traded to Columbus for 4 years at $1,500,000 does that fill the need temporarily? Then he becomes the backup.
Not with Elvis in the organization.

We sent Korpi away because of Elvis. If Tarasov can stay healthy, he's fighting for the starting role over Elvis. Waddell has said he's giving Elvis another chance essentially. The goalie mess isn't getting solved this season unless Elvis regains his starting form or plays his way into a buyout next off-season

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Problem is, I think any deal for Laine is one where Columbus asks for Frederic given his skillset, age and contract.

On Pastrňák spot.

In that case (again, I compare it with CLB):

Beecher - Coyle - Laine

I know it looks funny but I only compare players whom I know. I can't say anything about Heinen for example.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022

I can easily see Columbus signing Toffoli or DeBrusk to replace Laine then focusing on getting someone like Frederic for him.
It looks like Columbus are keeping Merzlikins, so they will run him and Tarasov this year with Greaves in the AHL ready to come up if necessary. So there is no direct need for a goalie unless it's an upgrade (see previous Askarov discussions).

I'd say the biggest needs for Columbus are top 6 C to relieve Jenner and a defensive RD to pair with Werenski as a stopgap until Jiricek is ready. If neither of those are attainable, a gritty veteran leader type forward to fill in Laine's spot in the top 9 is probably preferable.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I don't know as in Finland or Winnipeg but never in Columbus. Although I would try it.

Btw, DeBrusk won't play in Boston?

And I doubt Bruins want Laine, btw.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Not with Elvis in the organization.

We sent Korpi away because of Elvis. If Tarasov can stay healthy, he's fighting for the starting role over Elvis. Waddell has said he's giving Elvis another chance essentially. The goalie mess isn't getting solved this season unless Elvis regains his starting form or plays his way into a buyout next off-season
That's what I figured.

I actually grew to understand this Ottawa trade when someone explained that no matter what Boston was going to sign a back-up for at least 2.0 million so the Korpisalo move at 3.0 allowed them to draft Letourneau and likely have two goalies locked up for at least four years $10,000,000 combined. Plus, Boston has a way of making goalies put up career best numbers.

Do you think that if a top six winger signs in Columbus tomorrow that a Laine for Frederic+pick (the pick fluctuates in value depending on retention) works? I bring him up as he is a younger Hartman that plays a much more power forward physical role while hovering around 20 goals and 20 assists on the 3rd line. Some in Boston think he's gonna get first shot at Debrusk's spot while others see it being Poitras'.

Cheers!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Because of the questions around Laine and D-Wad's desire to not retain salary, I think the idea that we're getting a player to take Laine's spot in the lineup in a Laine trade is folly.

(A guy like) Hartman is a legit NHL player, can play multiple roles, is not old or a cap dump. I think that's the kind of deal we can expect. If it needs depth prospects or picks or other assets to balance it out, then yeah but I think in general ... anyway I'm not expecting Laine to get dealt for the player who will replace him in the lineup. But I am looking for him to be dealt for a guy who had a lineup spot.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Other teams envision it like this: maintain the maximum allowable salary, the 7th round pick in the 3000 draft, a 10th winger of an ECHL team, and possibly a contract they are desperate to get rid of. And, at least according to them, the flying saucer hit Don Don, he agrees and still adds the 1st round and the team will lose because of them so that a 1st round pick would be in the top 3. :cool:
And then there are Toronto Maple Leaf fans.

Reactions: VT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad