Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (CBJ, Laine agree to seek trade)

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I look at Laine's stats in 5v5. Those who say/write that he got worse in Columbus, , think their head or the back of their body? :huh:

Laine’s reputation is cast in bedrock to the general hockey public. To them, he can never and will never grow or change from what he was at nineteen: a floating wing with a great shot who does nothing else, doesn’t fit in with teammates, and looks like he doesn’t even want to be there. It is as immutable as the sun in June.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
That's the Barkov effect.

Imagine what a better player especially offensively could do with Barkov. He makes Reinhart and Verhaeghe, or Duclair or Huberdeau into a league leader.

What Barkov could do with his best friend and best scoring talent in the league.....future knows, I hope.
If Laine would end up playing with his close friend Barkov, it would have the makings for an interesting sports story

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Laine’s reputation is cast in bedrock to the general hockey public. To them, he can never and will never grow or change from what he was at nineteen: a floating wing with a great shot who does nothing else, doesn’t fit in with teammates, and looks like he doesn’t even want to be there. It is as immutable as the sun in June.
It's hard to shake a reputation of looking like you don't want to be there when you literally say you don't want to be there.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I sure don't know his personal feelings but the moment I could set him down and discuss it Id start to build a whole new relationship with him.
Explain that the world of the CBJ has and will continue to change and we'd love you to be all in with it.

Of course, thats IF you'd really like him to be all in with it!;)

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I don't get your point. You said he had a reputation of not looking like he wanted to be there in Winnipeg. He literally told management he doesn't want to be in Columbus anymore this past season.
[MOD] That’s the point. Who he was at nineteen is unchangeable to most. What he is doing now, whether it’s forechecking in game two, getting concussed in game five, or literally asking for a trade is irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
[MOD] That’s the point. Who he was at nineteen is unchangeable to most. What he is doing now, whether it’s forechecking in game two, getting concussed in game five, or literally asking for a trade is irrelevant.
My brain hurts.

I guess I'm an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Potential... just might... could... A lot of speculative words that don't allow someone to be wrong. He needs to be out of the PAP before anything can happen. They announce that before the draft and my ears will perk up to potential, just might, could be offers...
Using his words in his press conference. I think he has an idea of what the market is. It just seemed those interested teams wanted to be able to talk with him once he got released and see where his head is at and what he wants to accomplish before making a deal.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Using his words in his press conference. I think he has an idea of what the market is. It just seemed those interested teams wanted to be able to talk with him once he got released and see where his head is at and what he wants to accomplish before making a deal.
My post was in reference to the tweet around moving him at the draft. I do believe GMDW has a good grasp of options but not much can be done until he's out of the PAP and teams can actually speak with him on his mindset and expectations (Laine that is). I think framework could already be in place with a few options and do think there is a hockey trade to be made with him, even in his reduced state the last couple years.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Doubt it. Needs to get out of the PAP 1st and I am sure there aren't much talks with other teams yet because of that because they don't when/if he gets out. Can't plan on a what if
He can be traded while in PAP, just teams can’t talk to him directly until he is out of the program

Reactions: MissADD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad