Patrik Laine is in some elite company

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Laine is a great talent, however his defensive abilities make him a 2nd liner at best. I believe he will improve even more on the PP to make him a perennial 25-35 goal scorer but he is far from matching the raw talent of players like Matthews and Nylander

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Laine is a great talent, however his defensive abilities make him a 2nd liner at best. I believe he will improve even more on the PP to make him a perennial 25-35 goal scorer but he is far from matching the raw talent of players like Matthews and Nylander
Ok

member 297479

Why do you even bother with this? Grow a pair and stop stirring the pot with this nonsense.

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010

Barring injury it's pretty clear he will get more than 35 this season and he had more than 35 last season too so calling him a 25-35 goal scorer sounds a little bias

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
How is it even remotely debatable how special of a player Laine is?
I'm a Leafs fan, but this kid is incredible....just amazing shot after amazing shot.
I only read the first page and people were questioning the premise of the "teenage" line. Well, it's as arbitrary as many marking stones we, as a society, use to gauge progress.
Who cares whether the fact that the guy was played at 18?
There have been many players who broke in at 18. I don't see many on that list.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
How is it even remotely debatable how special of a player Laine is?
I'm a Leafs fan, but this kid is incredible....just amazing shot after amazing shot.
I only read the first page and people were questioning the premise of the "teenage" line. Well, it's as arbitrary as many marking stones we, as a society, use to gauge progress.
Who cares whether the fact that the guy was played at 18?
There have been many players who broke in at 18. I don't see many on that list.

The issue is that he hasn't shown much except on the PP so far. He might develop into a more well-rounded player for sure, but as of now he cannot produce on an elite level except on special teams.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
The issue is that he hasn't shown much except on the PP so far. He might develop into a more well-rounded player for sure, but as of now he cannot produce on an elite level except on special teams.
He had 21 5v5 goals (27 even strengyh) last season... 40 5v5 points (vs 41 for matthews...in alot less time)

Not sure what is on so far but it is improving since being moved from little... he desnt score as much 5v5 like matthews does but still top 5 or somewhere there... he produces alot more assists 5v5 than matthews hence similar totals... what do you consider elite production 5v5?

As mentioned away from little he does way better so far and consider his icetime...

If you really want to bring up negatives on laine the production is not where you will find it. Here ill help you, his main negative is poor acceleration, second is that it took a long time for him this season to find his groove 5v5 (seems to have found it again,,,,away from scheifele!), you are welcome

Reactions: Halberdier

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
He is a child in a new country and is i9n discussion as being an elite player at age 20. Not a pissing match but Patrick Laine haxs god given skills as a shooter. Beyond that who can project what he will be at age 24..........nobody as for the Mathews verus Laine faction who knows Jets are deeper and draft better and Leafs hope for a savior in Matthews and Marner and Nylander. Good luck i n that high pressure market. Jets low Key and encourage kids .........Leafs are like lions eat there young.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

I don't know where that animosity (over several threads) comes from, but it doesn't matter. We all have our personal preferences.

The issue is that he hasn't shown much lately expect on ES. At least that has been the topic at his own home cave lately in Jets forums.

17 esg and 16 ppg. You can also check his last 5 goals and come then claim that "he cannot produce on an elite level expect on special teams".

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Pffffffffffhhahahahahahah!!!!

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Laine "is here"! I know here are some overexaggerated expectation for him(He s very young). But he is the best goal scoring teenager here.
He will become a absolute superstar!

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Just out of curiosity how many Leaf rookies regardless of age have scored 69 goals in their first 2 years in the league. I'll put Hawerchuk, Selanne and Laine up against your top 3 leafs after 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad